Rate the Metroid Game Day 10 - Metroid: Other M for Nintendo Wii

#31Maiken100Posted 10/1/2012 6:46:34 PM
Big_Isaac posted...
Maiken100 posted...
She still didn't show much character or personality, those are just your interpretations of her actions. Its easy to perceive someone to be something they are not. None of your points are consistent, in some points you generalize in others your mention a certain scene "becomes a crying little girl in front of Ridley", which can be interpreted in many ways. Obviously you've chosen yours.
All you needed was one point.
-She obeys orders a lot.

if you want to delude yourself into thinking that the things I listed don't count just because they weren't called out in character dialog, go ahead, but don't expect me to respect your opinion.
Other M takes a dump on every piece of characterization Samus received throughout the series and it would be foolish to just accept that or hand-wave it away

It dumps on the few pieces of characterization she's got, yes. So what? Of course those things count but there really isn't enough in there to say "we shall base her character on this". It's really just what people wanted her to be - badass, independent, bold personality which was turned on its head.
#32sketchturnerPosted 10/1/2012 8:27:25 PM
wiiking96 posted...
But were you really thinking about all the good and bad parts of the game? Is it really worthy of a 10/10?

Of course I was. For me, 10 does not mean flawless. It means one of the most enjoyable gaming experiences ever. That's what a game is meant to be--enjoayble.

That being said, most of the things people consider "bad parts" of this game are actually things I like.
---
Favorite games: Body Harvest, Donkey Kong Country 2, Majora's Mask, MP2: Echoes, Other M, Rayman Origins, Shadow of the Colossus
#33Big_IsaacPosted 10/2/2012 12:39:50 AM
Maiken100 posted...
It dumps on the few pieces of characterization she's got, yes. So what? Of course those things count but there really isn't enough in there to say "we shall base her character on this". It's really just what people wanted her to be - badass, independent, bold personality which was turned on its head.

this isn't who people "wanted her to be." that's who she WAS before Other M
and you're willing to just accept that? you're willing to accept the fact that Other M takes a dump on the franchise just for the sake of Other M's own, crappy story?
---
waiting for Golden Sun 3DS
My FF ratings (X/10): I: 5, II: 6, III: 4, IV: 8, V: 9, VI: 8, VII: 5, VIII: 2, IX: 8, X: 10, X-2: 6, XII: 8
#34MxylbobatorPosted 10/2/2012 4:07:00 AM
Maiken100 posted...
Big_Isaac posted...
Maiken100 posted...
Not really, but I accept that its not what people wanted from this game. So I support it being retconned. Samus never really had much character to begin with, so there wasn't anything to assassinate, its really what people want her to be. I've never really cared for the story in any of the Metroid games, and Other m doesn't change that.

Samus' character before Other M:
- Independent
- Self-confident
- hates taking orders
- competent
- courageous
- doesn't hesitate to break the rules if she deems it necessary
- actively goes against orders when she feels that not doing so would be wrong
- in summation, she's Batman with a badass suit

Samus' character in Other M:
- dependent on Adam's approval
- "Adam is better than me" attitude
- willingly subjects herself to orders
- incompetent and ineffectual
- becomes a crying little girl in front of Ridley
- obeys the orders even though doing so put her own life in danger (hell run, for example)
- was willing to obey Captain Smugalot and let him take away Bergman even though she strongly disagreed
- in summation, she's a random teenager with a badass suit

She still didn't show much character or personality, those are just your interpretations of her actions. Its easy to perceive someone to be something they are not. None of your points are consistent, in some points you generalize in others your mention a certain scene "becomes a crying little girl in front of Ridley", which can be interpreted in many ways. Obviously you've chosen yours.
-She obeys orders a lot.

Looks like someone never read the official manga.
---
I'm a super pro player. It's like I'm Metroid himself in the suit. ~GoukiAkujiki
#35Shiranui777Posted 10/2/2012 10:19:03 AM
Look they're arguing again (laugh)
---
Shiranui777Shiranui777Shiranui777Shiranui777Shiranui777
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMIws86ZLyk why i lost faith in humanity
#36Ari917Posted 10/2/2012 11:48:12 AM(edited)
Mxylbobator posted...
Maiken100 posted...
Big_Isaac posted...
Maiken100 posted...
Not really, but I accept that its not what people wanted from this game. So I support it being retconned. Samus never really had much character to begin with, so there wasn't anything to assassinate, its really what people want her to be. I've never really cared for the story in any of the Metroid games, and Other m doesn't change that.

Samus' character before Other M:
- Independent
- Self-confident
- hates taking orders
- competent
- courageous
- doesn't hesitate to break the rules if she deems it necessary
- actively goes against orders when she feels that not doing so would be wrong
- in summation, she's Batman with a badass suit

Samus' character in Other M:
- dependent on Adam's approval
- "Adam is better than me" attitude
- willingly subjects herself to orders
- incompetent and ineffectual
- becomes a crying little girl in front of Ridley
- obeys the orders even though doing so put her own life in danger (hell run, for example)
- was willing to obey Captain Smugalot and let him take away Bergman even though she strongly disagreed
- in summation, she's a random teenager with a badass suit

-She obeys orders a lot.

Looks like someone never read the official manga.

The manga's canonicity is debatable considering that the game itself contradicts it in some ways and from what I understand was never confirmed by the higher ups to be canon.
#37ShadowMario3Posted 10/2/2012 12:06:02 PM
Ari917 posted...
The manga's canonicity is debatable considering that the game itself contradicts it in some ways and from what I understand was never confirmed by the higher ups to be canon.

Sakamoto was the one who wrote the script for the manga, and the official Japanese Metroid site had the first two chapters in e-manga form (IIRC). Also, the endings in Fusion show Samus's parents and the Chozo in their manga art. Sakamoto and Nintendo endorsed the manga, so it's canon.
---
Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ShadowMario3
#38Hawke0Posted 10/3/2012 7:12:40 PM
sketchturner posted...
wiiking96 posted...
But were you really thinking about all the good and bad parts of the game? Is it really worthy of a 10/10?

Of course I was. For me, 10 does not mean flawless. It means one of the most enjoyable gaming experiences ever. That's what a game is meant to be--enjoayble.

That being said, most of the things people consider "bad parts" of this game are actually things I like.

Yes it does.
10 is flawless or near flawless, no opinions about it. A very flawed game you really liked would be more like a 7, like this game Geist I played a lot.
Please, never, ever become a reviewer.
---
Conduit 2 FC: 0562-2516-9316 Hawke
I am not dumb but I am stupid!!! -Bio
#39P4wn4g3Posted 10/4/2012 3:43:25 AM
Anyway, Maiken won that argument.
---
-=Official Gold Medalist of the Sex Board=-
#40sketchturnerPosted 10/4/2012 7:00:42 AM
Hawke0 posted...
10 is flawless or near flawless, no opinions about it. A very flawed game you really liked would be more like a 7, like this game Geist I played a lot. Please, never, ever become a reviewer.

I was giving Other M a 10 based on my personal enjoyment rating. For the sake of this poll I am not reviewing in order to help people make purchasing decisions. When I review games publicly I review in such a way that will be relevant to the taste of the average gamer and then I give my "tilt" rating based on personal taste.
---
Favorite games: Body Harvest, Donkey Kong Country 2, Majora's Mask, MP2: Echoes, Other M, Rayman Origins, Shadow of the Colossus