Compare and contrast: Zero Mission, Fusion, Super

#1sketchturnerPosted 10/5/2012 2:48:14 PM
Which do you prefer and why?

Personally, I think that Fusion is my favorite of the 3, *barely* edging out Super. The world is the most enjoyable and interesting to explore. But I do prefer the music and epic atmosphere of Super. Super just FEELS like a classic more than Fusion does. Fusion's biggest drawback in my eyes is the lack of a memorable soundtrack [not to mention you can't hear the music over the deafening drone of your charge beam!]

Zero Mission is awesome and I like it a lot, but the stealth section, lack of bosses, and overall tiny feel of the game world bring it down a notch.
---
Favorite games: Body Harvest, Donkey Kong Country 2, Majora's Mask, MP2: Echoes, Other M, Rayman Origins, Shadow of the Colossus
#2P4wn4g3Posted 10/5/2012 3:12:46 PM
I don't remember ZM that well. I guess I'm going to have to replay it when I get a chance. From what I remember, I didn't like it as much as Fusion, but more than Super Metroid. i.e.:
1)Fusion
2)Zero Mission
3)Super Metroid
---
-=Official Gold Medalist of the Sex Board=-
#3ShadowMario3Posted 10/5/2012 3:19:53 PM
1. Super
2. Zero Mission
3. Fusion

Super is above due to nostalgia. It has the worst (default) controls of the three imo. Zero Mission's physics were the best, and it's truly being built for speedrunning. Fusion, while it didn't have many sequence breaks, still held its own through with a good story.
---
Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ShadowMario3
#4Big_IsaacPosted 10/5/2012 3:37:08 PM
1. Fusion
2. Zero Mission
3. Super

the difference between the 3 is huge.
Fusion introduced the vastly improved controls and physics, has a very great, organic artstyle, very good atmosphere, the most effective villain and the best overall story in the series
Zero Mission kept the physics, but took a step backwards on all other fronts. pretty sterile artstyle, less tight atmosphere, an inferior villain and very little in the way of story
finally, Super did not age well. at all. I'd say once you get used to Fusion's and ZM's tight controls and physics, Super becomes borderline unplayable. that's what happened to me, anyways. it has the most items and freedom, but the control is what kills it for me
---
waiting for Golden Sun 3DS
My FF ratings (X/10): I: 5, II: 6, III: 4, IV: 8, V: 9, VI: 8, VII: 5, VIII: 2, IX: 8, X: 10, X-2: 6, XII: 8
#5Shiranui777Posted 10/5/2012 4:05:31 PM
I liked other m better and how it foreshadows an inevitable battle against the corrupt scientists hellbent on galactic dominance.
---
Shiranui777Shiranui777Shiranui777Shiranui777Shiranui777
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMIws86ZLyk why i lost faith in humanity
#6krazykillerkowPosted 10/5/2012 4:18:27 PM
Shiranui777 posted...
I liked other m better and how it foreshadows an inevitable battle against the corrupt scientists hellbent on galactic dominance.

Implying Metroid isn't dead?
---
That don't bother me, I don't exist.-carsauce on the subject of vitasurance
#7Xavier_On_HighPosted 10/5/2012 4:37:15 PM
Big_Isaac posted...
1. Fusion
2. Zero Mission
3. Super

the difference between the 3 is huge.
Fusion introduced the vastly improved controls and physics, has a very great, organic artstyle, very good atmosphere, the most effective villain and the best overall story in the series
Zero Mission kept the physics, but took a step backwards on all other fronts. pretty sterile artstyle, less tight atmosphere, an inferior villain and very little in the way of story
finally, Super did not age well. at all. I'd say once you get used to Fusion's and ZM's tight controls and physics, Super becomes borderline unplayable. that's what happened to me, anyways. it has the most items and freedom, but the control is what kills it for me

I couldn't agree with you more.

I'm not sure I like that.
---
"It was like unwrapping a wonderful present -- a present made out of presents." - Graham Linehan, describing the Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
#8MxylbobatorPosted 10/5/2012 7:29:43 PM
Big_Isaac posted...
Zero Mission kept the physics, but took a step backwards on all other fronts.

Bro, Zero Mission kept the controls, and had superior physics compared to Fusion. Fusion had the worst physics (terrible wall-jumping and bomb jumping). Also, the Shinesparking in ZM felt more tight compared to Fusion's. Here's how I would rate them:

Zero Mission >>> Fusion > Super
---
I'm a super pro player. It's like I'm Metroid himself in the suit. ~GoukiAkujiki
#9DrkVrtxPosted 10/5/2012 10:02:12 PM
Fusion
Zero Mission
Super

Perhaps it was unfortunate that I played Super after Fusion/ZM, because the controls just felt so clunky in comparison and I really couldn't get into it. ZM definitely has the tightest controls of the three, but I place Fusion on top simply due to its atmosphere. The SA-X may not have the smartest AI out there, but when the music suddenly stops, a door opens and you hear those footsteps, the tension just ramps up. That and the fact that when you try and take the chance to escape but mess up, the SA-X will kill you. After that, you realise that you sure as hell can't take this threat lightly.

Oh, and of course: Nightmare.
#10DiortePosted 10/5/2012 11:33:14 PM
I prefer Zero Mission's controls, Fusion's tenseness, and Super's everything else.
---
In capitalist America, bank robs you!