Compare and contrast: Zero Mission, Fusion, Super

#11Big_IsaacPosted 10/6/2012 12:25:24 PM
Mxylbobator posted...
Big_Isaac posted...
Zero Mission kept the physics, but took a step backwards on all other fronts.

Bro, Zero Mission kept the controls, and had superior physics compared to Fusion. Fusion had the worst physics (terrible wall-jumping and bomb jumping). Also, the Shinesparking in ZM felt more tight compared to Fusion's. Here's how I would rate them:

Zero Mission >>> Fusion > Super

how do these things you mentioned make the physics bad (I felt no difference in the shine sparking, btw)?
whether they allow sequence breaking through wall and bomb jumps or not, the physics are precise and tight. besides, the walljump itself works perfectly. the only thing they nerfed was single-wall-jumping, which never made sense in the first place

one big difference between Fusion and ZM to me is how they feel while playing. Fusion is very streamlined. everything from Samus' animations, to jumping and walljumping feels "right".
in ZM, something that upsets me is Samus' walking cycle. it looks completely off. she's thrashing around like crazy while walking, which looks really weird and unnatural to me.
Fusion's walk cycle had a lot more weight and presence to it because the cycle was a lot longer

another thing that kind of bothers me in ZM is how strong you become by the end. it's a weird complaint, but by the end of the game, your beam becomes so powerful, it's meaningless. you fire at a space pirate and BOOM, he vaporizes. there's very little impact to it. shooting an enemy like that feels less like the beam is ****ing the enemy up and more like it's just making it despawn.
in Fusion, not only do you get the much more organic and impactful sound effects, but the enemy also goes into the "distortion" animation that turns it back into an X-parasite after you kill it. on to top of that, you can also see chunks of the enemy fall down every time you hit something. because of all that, there's a lot more presence to the enemies and (to me) killing them feels more satisfying that just erasing them with the plasma beam in ZM
---
waiting for Golden Sun 3DS
My FF ratings (X/10): I: 5, II: 6, III: 4, IV: 8, V: 9, VI: 8, VII: 5, VIII: 2, IX: 8, X: 10, X-2: 6, XII: 8
#12james259Posted 10/6/2012 3:26:33 PM
That's a tough one... Hmm...

Zero Mission- literally could not get enough of this game when I was a kid. This is what got me hooked on Metroid and I went on to play all the games

Fusion- Great story and SA-X creeped me out

Super- Going back to Zebes to finish business... Come on

This is why this is tough. All these games are great
---
It hurts so good
#13wiiking96Posted 10/6/2012 4:04:53 PM
Metroid Fusion
Super Metroid
Haven't played ZM

I like Super and Fusion *almost* equal; there are things I like a lot about both of them.

With Super, I really like how many different paths you can take and how each playthrough can be very different. You can even do the bosses in reverse order, crazy. The bosses are great, the music is great, the exploits are great, and I like how the SB works in it more; you move at like twice the speed and it has a real feeling of power. I also prefer the final boss in this game.

With Fusion, I like the story and controls more. While each playthrough is mostly the same, I find it very fun to replay. The story is one of the best as far as Metroid games go, the SA-X is a great villain, and the bosses are very creative. The controls are very tight and the addition of climbing on walls is nice, but I'm not a fan of no single-wall wall-jumps.

Overall, I prefer Fusion by a small margin.
---
Official "Quote" of the SSB4 board. http://i.imgur.com/tSh2y.jpg
People who like Cave Story: 20
#14sketchturner(Topic Creator)Posted 10/7/2012 8:44:26 AM
wiiking96, you summed up my thoughts almost precisely.
---
Favorite games: Body Harvest, Donkey Kong Country 2, Majora's Mask, MP2: Echoes, Other M, Rayman Origins, Shadow of the Colossus
#15P4wn4g3Posted 10/7/2012 8:49:10 AM
You know, while exploits are in the end a plus in a gamer's book, they are actually unintended and guaranteed to be taken out of the next game, which really just makes them a minus for the game. When sequence breaking is something a game allows, then the game was designed with some quality in mind. Otherwise I'm not sure that the exploits idea holds up, especially considering that exploits are used to alter gameplay, which implies that the gameplay was too limited to begin with.
/5cents
---
-=Official Gold Medalist of the Sex Board=-
#16Soanevalcke6Posted 10/9/2012 6:59:29 PM
1. Super
2. Fusion
3. Zero Mission
---
Qualities I look for in games: Atmosphere, Music, Exploration, and Freedom.
Deus Ex: HumΔn Revolution is the best game of this generation.
#17PlasdurockPosted 10/9/2012 7:06:59 PM
the only thing they nerfed was single-wall-jumping, which never made sense in the first place

They also nerfed bomb jumping, and running
---
Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities. Truth isn't. -Mark Twain
#18kirbymastahPosted 10/10/2012 10:15:27 AM
Plasdurock posted...
the only thing they nerfed was single-wall-jumping, which never made sense in the first place

They also nerfed bomb jumping, and running

Oh yeah, you can't wall jump anymore after getting space jump in fusion/ZM either. A downgrade.

And they got rid of turning off items in fusion/ZM.

Super Metroid is definitely established as the best 2D metroid. Period. That is essentially a fact, as it is so wonderfully designed, so nonlinear, tons of exploration and tons of new content (relative to the previous metroids at its time), beautiful SNES graphics, great atmosphere, and so on. However, I can understand the "clunky" controls (especially having the run button) being a turnoff, and it isn't by any means perfect. It doesn't have the great story and SA-X atmosphere that fusion has either.

So there isn't anything wrong with prefering fusion over super, or something like that. But it's generally agreed upon that Super Metroid is THE defining metroid game that defines metroid.
#19Big_IsaacPosted 10/10/2012 11:08:28 AM
it's agreed upon that Super is the best METROID game, but why should I care about that?
what I want to know is which is the best GAME, period.
controls, atmosphere, story, pacing, graphics, sound design
Fusion blows Super out of the water in all of those

you can make arguments in Super's favor, too, but it is by no means a "fact" that Super is a better game than Fusion
---
"There are 2 things infinite: The Universe and human stupidity. I'm not sure about the Universe yet, though" - Albert Einstein
#20kirbymastahPosted 10/10/2012 12:22:01 PM
Big_Isaac posted...
it's agreed upon that Super is the best METROID game, but why should I care about that?
what I want to know is which is the best GAME, period.
controls, atmosphere, story, pacing, graphics, sound design
Fusion blows Super out of the water in all of those

you can make arguments in Super's favor, too, but it is by no means a "fact" that Super is a better game than Fusion

Um when did I say Super's the best game, period? It's the defining metroid game, it defines metroid, and yes, general opinion is that it's the best game among the 2D Metroids. Not everyone will agree, of course, I prefer fusion over super (speedrun it in fact), but you can't say that it's fact that fusion blows super out of the water in everything you listed (which is basically every part of a game).

Controls: Fusion is not objectively better than Super in this case. Super gives you many more options, though yes, it can feel clunky to those not used to having a run button and having to switch weapons. Fusion/ZM's toggling option for missiles is far better, but Super gives more options, and even lets you customize your controls.

Atmosphere: Very subjective, excluding the SA-X parts. You can't say this is fact.

Story: True dat

Pacing: Again, subjective as well, and in a sense, not really comparable. Fusion is story driven, and somewhat linear. Super is the opposite, as in, it's barely story driven, it slowly opens up paths for you to search for and take by yourself. This isn't really comparable.

Graphics: Kinda subjective again, you can "deduct points" from both of them. Fusion is more modern, yet on a handheld. Super is on console, yet much older. I'd say they're roughly the same, with Fusion looking slightly cleaner. But no, Fusion does not "blow Super out of the water" in graphics.

Sound Design: I can say the same thing. maridia music and brinstar music are outstanding, and blow Fusion out of the water. In other words, subjective. Fusion, maybe, you can give it an edge, but again that's mainly because it's more modern.

So no, it's not black and white, which is better than the other. Everything you listed is really subjective, and fusion does not "blow Super out of the water" in anything, except story (but again, fusion is primarily story-driven, and done correctly unlike other m) Seriously, it just comes down to personal preference =)