Do some people seriously think Samus couldn't be fast in first person?

#1Werndan101Posted 1/31/2013 2:04:47 PM
I eagerly await the day a Quake-speed Metroid proves them wrong.
---
Need help figuring out components for your gaming PC? Check this.
http://tinyurl.com/falconguide
#2Pueojit2Posted 1/31/2013 4:01:12 PM
Werndan101 posted...

Metroid isn't about going from point A to point B as fast as you can. (You can if you want) Metroid is about immersion, getting sinked into a world(s), not going fast. That was one of the problems in Other M, you could never appreciate any of the environments, you went through them too quick.
---
Metroid: Other M < Duke Nukem Forever < Every other game
#3Shadowfire14Posted 1/31/2013 11:12:27 PM
Werndan101 posted...

Metroid isn't about going from point A to point B as fast as you can. (You can if you want) Metroid is about immersion, getting sinked into a world(s), not going fast. That was one of the problems in Other M, you could never appreciate any of the environments, you went through them too quick.

What was there to appreciate? Most of the zones were bland metallic corridors with bits of material added to hint at an environment. Even the forests in Sector 1 seemed dead, even with the holograms up and running. Metroid Fusion had a wonderful world to explore because even the backgrounds themselves seemed to be teeming with life most of the time. Other M just felt dead and empty most of the time. :/
---
Mage of Mind || Feesh of Jungle || http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/duty_calls.png
"The League of Yordles, plus one fish." - FoxyAreku
#4Rambler_OnePosted 2/1/2013 7:40:41 AM
Pueojit2 posted...
Metroid isn't about going from point A to point B as fast as you can. (You can if you want) Metroid is about immersion, getting sinked into a world(s), not going fast.

A game can do both. See: 2D Metroid and...well...Quake.

And even if these two things were mutually exclusive, I would gladly give up atmosphere for a character that's actually fun to control.

Metroid Prime's art design and enemy variety + Quake style agility and level design = ultimate Metroid game.
#5Pueojit2Posted 2/1/2013 4:19:40 PM
Rambler_One posted...
Pueojit2 posted...
Metroid isn't about going from point A to point B as fast as you can. (You can if you want) Metroid is about immersion, getting sinked into a world(s), not going fast.

And even if these two things were mutually exclusive, I would gladly give up atmosphere for a character that's actually fun to control.

Metroid Prime's art design and enemy variety + Quake style agility and level design = ultimate Metroid game.

Then it wouldn't be a Metroid game. The Prime games had immersion, something most games today are missing. Most games I could care less about the game world, but games like Prime sucked you into the world. I'm not opposed to a fast paced shooter, but not in a Metroid game, it would lose its point
---
#6Hawke0Posted 2/1/2013 5:29:57 PM
Rambler_One posted...
Pueojit2 posted...

Metroid Prime's art design and enemy variety + Quake style agility and level design + Painkiller, Half Life 2, and Conduit 2's weapons = ultimate FPS.

fix'd
---
Monster Hunter Tri is one of the best Capcom games of this generation.
Of course, that's not saying much.
#7Werndan101(Topic Creator)Posted 2/1/2013 7:15:14 PM
Pueojit2 posted...
Rambler_One posted...
Pueojit2 posted...

Then it wouldn't be a Metroid game. The Prime games had immersion, something most games today are missing. Most games I could care less about the game world, but games like Prime sucked you into the world. I'm not opposed to a fast paced shooter, but not in a Metroid game, it would lose its point

Metroid has always been fast-paced, Prime's tank controls were an anomaly.
---
#8Pueojit2Posted 2/1/2013 7:53:07 PM
Werndan101 posted...
Pueojit2 posted...
Rambler_One posted...
Pueojit2 posted...

Not really, they were rather slow for the most part. And no the Prime tank controls weren't bad at all
---
#9Werndan101(Topic Creator)Posted 2/1/2013 8:01:38 PM
Pueojit2 posted...
Werndan101 posted...
Pueojit2 posted...
Rambler_One posted...
Pueojit2 posted...

Not really, they were rather slow for the most part. And no the Prime tank controls weren't bad at all

So much wrong in one response.
---
#10Hawke0Posted 2/1/2013 8:04:43 PM
Werndan101 posted...
Pueojit2 posted...
Rambler_One posted...
Pueojit2 posted...

Metroid
fast paced
lol
---
Monster Hunter Tri is one of the best Capcom games of this generation.
Of course, that's not saying much.