Pacing

#1TheBatesPosted 12/26/2011 2:22:50 PM
I've just reached Agniratha, the Mechonis capital, after trudging up and through the body of the Mechonis. I have found the pacing in this game to be one of its major strengths, with both the storyline and the scenery changing dramatically and at a pleasingly fast rate. However, I have found the section from the Fallen Arm all the way up to Agniratha to be a real slog, and not especially enjoyable. Section after section of pushing buttons to lower barriers and killing Mechon by their hundreds. Every time I thought that it must be over- nope! Another 45-minute marathon through the same boring-looking scenery and fighting the same tedious Mechon.

Am I alone in having found the trek up the body of the Mechonis from the Fallen Arm to be far too long? It felt like needless padding after the brisk pace of the rest of the game.

Also, could someone perhaps tell me how far through the game I am, roughly? Thanks.
#2TLeHnPosted 12/26/2011 2:32:16 PM
At this part I also found this to be a bit like Hack&Slay, but the story events happening there still kept this part quite entertaining, so it wasn't really a problem for me (well, maybe because I was a bit overleveled at that moment).

After Agniratha, there isn't much left anymore, maybe you're at 80%-85%. Spoiler:

After Agniratha, you'll visit two dungeons and then you'll face the final boss.
---
"Hito no yo ni, umareshi koro yori, ikusa michi, ouka...RANBU~!!"
#3CelestialDesirePosted 12/26/2011 3:36:16 PM(edited)
I agree somewhat, Mechonis onward felt unimaginative compared to all the amazing areas we'd seen so far, By the time you can finally damage Mechon without Monado Enchant, all the Mechon battles feel the same as any other battle and you realise just how same-y most Mechon are, Most being recolors of older Mechon and not posing as much of a challenge, especially if you use Shulk.

The Whole Mechonis Field/Central Factory area missions are pretty cliche and boring but Agniratha was such a pretty area with a really cool steam-punk/apocalyptic design, It was such a refreshing change and shows that the Mechonis areas can in fact be just as pretty as other areas, Shame they felt the need to have the rest of the Mechonis be so uniform, quite small in comparison and uninteresting when it could have been much better planned out. I wasn't too sad to have leave them when I was done, Nor did I ever feel the need to visit them again. =\

Though by this point a lot was happening in the story and at least that was really great. :D
---
~ The Official Oshawott ~ -"Congratulations! You gained 666 Exp!"- :D
( http://tiny.cc/My_Favourite_Pokemon )
#4TheBates(Topic Creator)Posted 12/26/2011 4:10:16 PM
CelestialDesire posted...

The Whole Mechonis Field/Central Factory area missions are pretty cliche and boring but Agniratha was such a pretty area with a really cool steam-punk/apocalyptic design, It was such a refreshing change and shows that the Mechonis areas can in fact be just as pretty as other areas

I agree with this- I've just lit the four "beacons", or whatever they were, and the city of Agniratha itself is far more enjoyable to explore than the rest of the Mechonis. It was just nice to see the sky! I thought that I was perhaps in a bad frame of mind for playing games, and so it's nice to see that I'm not the only one who found the section from the Arm to Agniratha to be a pain in the neck. Looking forward to getting out of this tin can!
#5_Reaver_Posted 12/26/2011 4:31:27 PM
Not every area can be magical.

Some areas are dungeons.
#6Allvah2Posted 12/26/2011 5:41:03 PM
I didn't find Mechonis Field to be a bad area. I enjoyed it just fine. It was just different in every way from the Bionis areas - as it should be. Mostly vertical design, very "constructed" feel to it instead of natural. Alien. Hostile. Flat colors and symmetrical build instead of the natural beauty of the outdoor Bionis areas. Just like the mechanical counterpoint to a living titan-world should be, in my opinion.

Yes, there was more of a "begrudging" feel to the traversal of Mechonis, but you're an outsider. You're unwelcome. It's supposed to feel that way.

Also, Mechonis Field has the best music in the game.
---
Check out 'Analog' - Great video game music every week, Tuesday nights at 8pm Central US time! Tune in to Extreme Anime Radio - http://animeradio.net
#7TheBates(Topic Creator)Posted 12/26/2011 5:45:42 PM
Allvah2 posted...

Also, Mechonis Field has the best music in the game.

I thought that the music was the best thing about it! It has a sort of intriguing 80s vibe going for it- very cool indeed. My favourite music in the game is the night-time music for the Bionis's Leg. It's one of my all-time favourite pieces of music.
#8Allvah2Posted 12/26/2011 5:51:59 PM
I should concede, though, that Central Factory definitely could have benefitted from a more diverse design than the previous field. Not that it was bad, but it was very same-y with Mechonis Field, and a bit much to put it right after. At least it opened up a bit, and offered massive chambers with large mechon and whatnot instead of more vertical climbing over pistons and ledges.
---
Check out 'Analog' - Great video game music every week, Tuesday nights at 8pm Central US time! Tune in to Extreme Anime Radio - http://animeradio.net
#9CelestialDesirePosted 12/26/2011 6:15:13 PM
Exactly my point, I didn't hate it but as you say, It's all a bit much of the same. :P
---
~ The Official Oshawott ~ -"Congratulations! You gained 666 Exp!"- :D
( http://tiny.cc/My_Favourite_Pokemon )
#10Seifer_usPosted 12/26/2011 6:17:41 PM
I thought Mechonis Field was awesome to explore and I enjoyed going through it, but the Central Factory and Agniratha were kind of unpleasant to deal with. Still, I went through all three areas in just one afternoon, even with killing all the unique monsters, so it wasn't that bad.

I love that sloping wound on Mechonis Field, though. That was just a really cool area all around.
---
PSN ID: Shawnji
Trophy List: http://psnprofiles.com/Shawnji