To be Naked or not to be Naked. That is the question. (Dunban)

#1TheBatesPosted 1/4/2012 2:26:37 PM
I think I read on these forums months ago that the usefulness of Dunban's nakedness begins to lessen later in the game. My Dunban is level 69- is it time to give him some clothes? Thanks.
#2Allvah2Posted 1/4/2012 2:58:31 PM
*shrug* He can go the whole main game without armor as far as I see it. Only time I'd bother equipping him with armor is for the optional bosses, end-game.

But if you're having trouble, might as well try him with armor. Maybe some HP and Evasion gems.
---
Check out 'Analog' - Great video game music every week, Tuesday nights at 8pm Central US time! Tune in to Extreme Anime Radio - http://animeradio.net
#3ExternicaPosted 1/4/2012 3:08:36 PM
Hm, come to think of it, how does oil and underwear work?
You know, the "armour" that turns the guys in walking shirtless scenes and the armour that looks exactly like the character's underwear.
Can Dunban equip this and still receive the bonus of his skill or does he really need to wear absolutly "nothing"?

Just out of curiousity.
#4minneyarPosted 1/4/2012 4:29:19 PM(edited)
I tried naked Dunban for a while and wasn't really a fan of it. He gets completely destroyed by ether-using enemies when he's naked, and he isn't really significantly better than Dunban with armor and agility gems.

Also, oils count as armor. He really has to be completely naked (except for his weapon) to get the bonuses.
#5TheBates(Topic Creator)Posted 1/4/2012 4:44:14 PM
minneyar posted...
I tried naked Dunban for a while and wasn't really a fan of it. He gets completely destroyed by ether-using enemies when he's naked, and he isn't really significantly better than Dunban with armor and agility gems.

Also, oils count as armor. He really has to be completely naked (except for his weapon) to get the bonuses.

Dunban seems to be doing better now with some defensive gems, so that when he does get whaked he is able to take it. Also, what are oils? Where can you get them?
#6TLeHnPosted 1/4/2012 11:58:24 PM
TheBates posted...
Also, what are oils?

Oils are pieces of armor that look like the character is wearing nothing. I didn't really use them because the stats weren't so good. I didn't pay attention to where I got them.

About naked Dunban, I used him from the point I had that left skill tree maxed up to the end.
(except the very last optional boss). I really liked using him and in cutscenes he just looks so cool when he pulls off all these moves. I think if I had been younger when I played this he would have become my anime-hero xD
---
"Hito no yo ni, umareshi koro yori, ikusa michi, ouka...RANBU~!!"
#7TerotrousPosted 1/5/2012 8:44:27 AM
I keep him with armor. For fighting higher-level enemies, he's not going to dodge well anyway, so I'd rather have the defense boost.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "GEN Sonic the Hedgehog 2"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#8CragnousPosted 1/6/2012 1:32:17 PM

I just got to the Valak Mountains and Dunban just got his Naked Agi sill.

So i decided to test it out. I put 2 +24agi gems on a 2 socket sword and let him go to work. Sure enough, nothing can touch him, he is invincible. However... in this area, there's a lot of Ether based enemies and i get attacked by them a lot. So i noticed that he doesn't dodge those ether attacks and therefore dies easily.

I'm finding hard to believe that people would keep naked dunban if he can't resist an equal lvl ether monster.

On the other hand, there was this cloud type unique that kept killing me with a bunch of chill attcks. So i equiped Melia with all the +chill resist gems i could find, all the best ether armors and +ether def gems. He was barely touching me and i was bolt spamming him, it was cool lol.

#9Allvah2Posted 1/6/2012 1:54:14 PM
The moral of the story is: Sometimes you have to change your setup for certain monsters. Of course Naked Dunban is gonna get murdered by a primarily ether-based monster. Against pure physical monsters he's God.
---
Check out 'Analog' - Great video game music every week, Tuesday nights at 8pm Central US time! Tune in to Extreme Anime Radio - http://animeradio.net
#10CragnousPosted 1/6/2012 2:14:05 PM

If only he could dodge ether attacks...

I'm not sure how i feel about changing his setup for ether based enemies, might as well keep him in gear. Well i just got his naked skill so i'll check it out. Do you know if i'm just not lucky or if the Valak Mountains have a lot of ether monsters?