Xenoblade Vs Xenogears or Xenosaga

#1superb90710Posted 4/3/2012 9:33:54 PM
I would like the opinions of fellow Xeno fans that have played Xenoblade. Is it the
greatest Xeno title? In what ways is it superior or inferior?
#2joegt123Posted 4/3/2012 9:37:50 PM
I've never played Gears or Saga, so I'm still wondering if they aren't connected, somehow?

I mean what with the Faced Mechon's and the titans being what they are... It could be that Xenoblade is in the same world as the other two. Just separated by X thousands of years.

*shrug*
#3nugroPosted 4/3/2012 9:47:59 PM
joegt123 posted...
I've never played Gears or Saga, so I'm still wondering if they aren't connected, somehow?

I mean what with the Faced Mechon's and the titans being what they are... It could be that Xenoblade is in the same world as the other two. Just separated by X thousands of years.

*shrug*

They're not. See the ending to clear any suspicion.
#4DragoonGriffithPosted 4/3/2012 9:51:41 PM
I can already see the ****storm coming. Nevertheless...

IMO

Story:
Xenogears>Xenoblade>Xenosaga

Xenogears is really in it's own league as far as story goes. Most people will say Xenosaga had a better story, but I personally thought that it became baloney by the second game. Xenoblade might be little cliche with the story (what isn't nowadays?), but at least it's coherent.

Gameplay:
Xenoblade>Xenosaga>Xenogears

This one is easy. Xenoblade has so much going for it. Whether it's the huge world, the countless customization options or the sheer easines with which Xenoblade pulls off some things (like finally bringing the option to save and teleport wherever I want).
Xenogears and Xenosaga are more old-school and preovide just enough to keep me satisfied. Nothing special.

Graphics:

I won't discuss this...

Music:

Xenogears=Xenoblade>Xenosaga
I like the music in Xenogears and Xenoblade equally. Both have fantastic sountracks, while I might give a slight advantage to Xenogears, because of nostalgia. Xenosaga's music was honestly forgettable with the exception of some tracks.

I think... that's all.

Overrall:

Mind you, this can change and I can see myself liking Xenoblade more than Xenogears. Not that it matters, bacause both are great. Xenosaga was dissapointing to me after the second game. Even with the revised battle system in Xenosaga III.
#5nugroPosted 4/3/2012 10:02:01 PM
Xeno title eh? The three games doesn't even have anything in common (except the story element of Gears and Saga, everything else are completely different).

If you ask me how I would rate them though, I like Xenogears about as much as I like Xenoblade, and Saga is the least favorite one, mainly due to the 2nd "Jr." episode game. The third game more or less amended this though.
#6Lelouch71Posted 4/3/2012 10:02:54 PM
DragoonGriffith posted...
Overrall:

Mind you, this can change and I can see myself liking Xenoblade more than Xenogears. Not that it matters, bacause both are great. Xenosaga was dissapointing to me after the second game. Even with the revised battle system in Xenosaga III.

I only played Xenosaga episode 3 and I thought it was pretty good. It was no Xenogears though. So how would you compare Xenoblade to Xenosaga 3 as far as story goes?
---
"Know thy self, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
#7superb90710(Topic Creator)Posted 4/3/2012 10:14:11 PM
Loved xenosaga 1. Monolith Soft really dropped the ball on part 2. I hated all of the gameplay changes they made though i did like the more realistic character designs. By the time 3 came out i had already lost my interest in the series. Part of me does regret not playing 3 though. Im very much looking forward to playing xenoblade. From all the reviews I've been reading and all the input from the gamefaqs boards it seems Monolith Soft has made another classic like xenogears. The skeptic in me doubts it can top xenogears in the story department.
#8DragoonGriffithPosted 4/3/2012 10:21:25 PM(edited)
Lelouch71 posted...
Overrall:

I only played Xenosaga episode 3 and I thought it was pretty good. It was no Xenogears though. So how would you compare Xenoblade to Xenosaga 3 as far as story goes?

Xenosaga 3 had the potential to be really good, but the game feels really rushed (which is no wonder, considering that it was originally planned to be a 6 part series).
I liked it, but it was nowhere near to Xenogears in storytelling execution. Yes, even with Xenogears and it's *sit on the chair, while I tell you a story* approach on the 2nd disc.
It kinda feels like a forerunner to what we would see in FFXIII with the datalog.

Xenoblade in comparison to Xenosaga 3 is harder to explain. While Xenosaga has the more interesting concept, Xenoblade does MUCH better with what it has. I'm not saying that the story and characters are simple, but that they are far less complex and convoluted.
Which is my reason for prefering Xenoblade's story over Xenosaga as a whole.

I hope this helps (even thought the opinion on whether Xenosaga was really convoluted is subjective, so you don't have to take my opinion as something really significant). :)
#9Lelouch71Posted 4/3/2012 10:29:25 PM
Xenosaga 3 had the potential to be really good, but the game feels really rushed (which is no wonder, considering that it was originally planned to be a 6 part series).
I liked it, but it was nowhere near to Xenogears in storytelling execution. Yes, even with Xenogears and it's *sit on the chair, while I tell you a story* approach on the 2nd disc.
It kinda feels like a forerunner to what we would see in FFXIII with the datalog.

Xenoblade in comparison to Xenosaga 3 is harder to explain. While Xenosaga has the more interesting concept, Xenoblade does MUCH better with what it has. I'm not saying that the story and characters are simple, but that they are far less complex and convoluted.
Which is my reason for prefering Xenoblade's story over Xenosaga as a whole.

I hope this helps (even thought the opinion on whether Xenosaga was really convoluted is subjective, so you don't have to take my opinion as something really significant). :)

Well I wouldn't be able to tell you if Xenosaga was convoluted only playing the last one. I don't really mind if Xenoblade is less complex and convoluted so long it's told well. Only a few games can pull off a convoluted story and Xenogears is among the few. I didn't think disc 2 was all that bad. I would had preferred it to be like disc 1 but oh well. At the very least I'm sure that Xenoblade is going to be a good game.
---
"Know thy self, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
#10DragoonGriffithPosted 4/3/2012 10:38:57 PM
Lelouch71 posted...

I didn't think disc 2 was all that bad. I would had preferred it to be like disc 1 but oh well. At the very least I'm sure that Xenoblade is going to be a good game.

I don't think it's bad either. Actually, I even like it because all the juicy stuff regarding the story and Fei/Elly starts to unfold on it.

And yes, look forward to Xenoblade. It's pretty good.