Nintendo: Make a Zelda Game with Xenoblade's Open World

#1Dr_CorndogPosted 4/11/2012 8:07:59 AM
One thing the Zelda games have almost all lacked since the series made the switch to 3D is a sense of exploration. The overworld is usually so restrictive, even linear.

I'm just now exploring the Bionis' Leg in Xenoblade, and I'm amazed at how expansive it is, especially for a Wii game. Wouldn't a Zelda game with a similar world be amazing? Where you had to actually search to find secrets instead of having them set in the middle of your path? Wouldn't that feeling of discovery, when you finally reach that little ledge on the side of a mountain and find that there's a boulder on that you couldn't see from below with a fairy fountain underneath, be incredible? Or when you notice that that one tree, no different from the dozens of others forming a forest off the beaten path that you'd decided to explore "just because," has a piece of heart hidden in its branches?
#2xerofyre0Posted 4/11/2012 11:09:37 AM
well wind waker was not linear in the least and was pretty vast and offered a lot of exploration but i see your point
---
http://www.down-rightfierce.com/2012/01/operation-rainfall-switches-focus.html
#3nintendoman562Posted 4/11/2012 11:10:56 AM

xerofyre0 posted...
well wind waker was not linear in the least and was pretty vast and offered a lot of exploration but i see your point
---
http://www.down-rightfierce.com/2012/01/operation-rainfall-switches-focus.html

But Wind Waker was a terrible game.

#4SinfullyvannilaPosted 4/11/2012 11:11:35 AM
A ton of people will complain about it. Then again, LoZ fans complain about EVERYTHING.
#5nugroPosted 4/11/2012 11:19:56 AM
xerofyre0 posted...

Sure is, wide-as-far-as-eyes-can-see-horizon-everywhere vast.
#6aotogePosted 4/11/2012 11:25:51 AM
I don't see a point in adding open world exploration to Zelda when there's almost always nothing to do in the Zelda world.

Look at Zelda's sidequests, what do they offer as rewards? Rupees, rupees and rupee wallet upgrades and heart upgrades and maybe for magic meter if the game has it.

There's no point in doing that.Link does not get new attacks by leveling up.Fighting special monsters does not give Link rare weapons and armor.The Zelda series has never been about that and never will.

Link's own weapon selection is always limited and his upgrades only go to money, health, and other small fake rewards.

Even in Skyward Sword, guess what most of the rewards are.

Not to mention the fact that there literally is no point in playing a Zelda game through a full second playthrough because there is no replay value.
#7SinfullyvannilaPosted 4/11/2012 11:31:27 AM
LoZ was the OG non-linear, open world adventure. If anything, it wouldn't be adding that element as much as going back to its roots.
#8DragoonGriffithPosted 4/11/2012 11:38:52 AM
Sinfullyvannila posted...
LoZ was the OG non-linear, open world adventure. If anything, it wouldn't be adding that element as much as going back to its roots.

This is true.

Which is why I'm surprised, when someone says that SS was a return to the series roots.
Still, a great game though.
#9SinfullyvannilaPosted 4/11/2012 11:45:29 AM
Wait, the original LoZ used motion control?

....digs out U-Force and Power Glove.
#10DragoonGriffithPosted 4/11/2012 11:57:50 AM
Ahhh, yes. All those cell-shaded games were also pretty on the NES.
The flute playing was excellent in the original Zelda. Truly great motion controls.

Not to mention, the sidekick was superb. Casper was a breath of fresh air.