Is this games combat better than it looks?

#1MajinKogahazanPosted 4/23/2012 7:12:53 PM
It looks like Final Fantasy XII's battle system (which is bad), but I've heard it's different. Is it any good? I've heard alot of great things about this game but bad combat would be a deal breaker.
---
Opinion^
#2legendarylemurPosted 4/23/2012 7:18:38 PM
The combat becomes surprisingly busy, and all the characters run on pretty distinct mechanics as you recruit more. The combat then sort of blends itself with the rest of the gameplay, because how you fight can also rely heavily on how you modified your character. Lots of potential roles for each character makes this game's combat surprisingly strategic and amazing. If you've been too overleveled, at least the end-game will show you how much you truly mastered the game and its pretty deep mechanics.

I thought I'd hate it too from all the trailers, but I was so pleasantly wrong. Think of this game as playing a very team-oriented MMO with a party of 3
---
I don't understand why the Vita is failing so hard. I mean, it has two analog sticks! - derekfishbowl
My karma was 777 on Sept. 21st 2011
#3KingLawnmowerPosted 4/24/2012 12:27:08 AM
I don't think it will be your favorite combat system ever, if you didn't like the FF12 system-

HOWEVER, this may look like the FF12 system a bit, but it improves on it in almost every aspect. It's solid in my opinion..
#4Legendary_MusasPosted 4/24/2012 12:32:37 AM(edited)
It's the same as XII in that the normal attack is auto. That's about it.

There is more emphasis on positioning.
---
"You don't need a reason to help people"
Riddle me this, riddle me that
#5jrbeerman11Posted 4/24/2012 3:37:43 AM
XII wasnt bad at all
#6NextE100Posted 4/24/2012 4:03:26 AM
jrbeerman11 posted...
XII wasnt bad at all

+1, I loved the combat system in XII. This system is quite a bit different, IMO. It involves more user interaction for the more pedestrian encounters since you don't have gambits. Another difference is that it never pauses for you to think about your actions - with the single exception of combos. With FFXII, you could "pause" combat when you pull up a menu (if you have that setting enabled), which I really like. I tend to like real-time-but-strategic combat, like XII and SO4 (and probably the other SOs). This game can be confusing at first since it never slows down for you, but there's not as much you _can_ do, so you get the hang of it pretty quick.

I do wish it had a more full-fleshed "magic" system, but it's still a great system.
#7SinfullyvannilaPosted 4/24/2012 4:34:45 AM
I wouldn't say it's better than FF12s combat in every way. It is a lot more active and there's a lot more stuff to keep track of. There's almost no variety in the battles though and it gets very repetitive. FF12 at least had a lot of variation and strategy in the hunts.
#8goonermxPosted 4/24/2012 7:38:41 AM
Not knowing what you disliked about FFXII's battle system (which I thought was decent enough) I would guess you might also dislike this one. There is more interaction, but generally it uses a lot of the same concepts and has a similar feel - you have skills with cooldowns that you use in between using auto-attacks when you're close enough. There are chains, encouragement, etc. but that is all sort of layered on top of a basic system that is similar to FFXII.
#9MajinKogahazan(Topic Creator)Posted 4/24/2012 9:52:01 AM
Man, and I was looking forward to one of the first, and only, epic rpgs this gen. Well unless the Last Story turns out to be good, I guess my Wii library is complete.
---
Opinion^
#10Godly_GoofPosted 4/24/2012 9:54:28 AM
I'd say the combat feels more like WoW than FF12 but thats just me. and ya it is better than it looks (i assume?). All i know is that I'm at 90 hours now and still enjoying it though some of its mechanics can be infuriating at times :/
---
Currently Playing: XB:C
Currently waiting for:Black Rock Shooter the Game, Ni No Kuni, Bioshock: infinite, and Borderlands 2, Persona 4: Arena/The Golden