Affinity questions

#1ScalytsPosted 4/25/2012 11:07:30 AM
A couple questions that still confuse me regarding affinity are:

Is there any way to raise affinity between characters quicker? I feel like mine is increasing very slow. I am trying to do a ton of quests and encouraging party members during combat, but it still seems slow. Basically every heart-to-heart I come to is a no-go because of low affinity. Is it normal to have to come back to practically ALL of these? Seems that way.

And does affinity ever decrease? For example, if I don't put a character in my party for awhile, will their affinity level diminish with other characters they aren't in the party with?

Sorry for these questions, but it doesn't go very in-depth in the manual or even in the tutorial. No spoilers please! I'm only part-way through the marsh level. Any help is appreciated, I am loving this game so far !!
---
Know that for all who betray justice, I am their fate. And fate carries an executioner's axe. --Planescape: Torment
#2gamer141414Posted 4/25/2012 11:15:45 AM
Affinity increases very slowly over the normal course of a game. By the end of the game, you probably won't have enough affinity to view all the heart to hearts.

The best way to raise affinity is at the end of the game, where there is a monster that inflicts sleep every time you attack him. This allows you to encourage and help infinitely for max affinity.

The only way to lower affinity is to give a gift that a person dislikes.
---
I'm hungry.
#3Guardian_ShadowPosted 4/25/2012 11:31:34 AM
Which monster is that, anyway? People keep mentioning it but they don't name it and it's location. Also, some of the nebula things, those cloud like monsters, will debuff you when you attack them. This lowers tension and then you can encourage them to raise affinity.
---
Note: Having a different opinion than you =/= Trolling.
#4gamer141414Posted 4/25/2012 2:41:15 PM(edited)
Its name is Stormy Belagon and it is lvl87.
Also its in Kromar Coast.
---
I'm hungry.
#5Guardian_ShadowPosted 4/25/2012 2:46:44 PM
Thanks yo. Much appreciated.
---
Note: Having a different opinion than you =/= Trolling.
#6AnotherGamerPosted 4/25/2012 3:58:19 PM
Personally I prefer Magnificient Digalus at Decayed Forest in Makna Forest for affinity-grinding at higher levels since he has a lot more HP to burn through and thus doesn't need to be reloaded as often.
---
Damned imbeciles. Why do you wish to fight?
-Bahamut, FF8
#7y3kmanPosted 4/25/2012 5:01:27 PM
^ There's no need to reload if you're just affinity grinding. If Stormy Belagon's HP reaches critical level, just run towards the bridge and he'll regen his life.
---
3DS Friend Code: 3179-6997-7741
#8Emerald_MeliosPosted 5/2/2012 6:53:09 PM
Always try to get Burst Affinity right. It adds up.
#9BambooGrovePosted 5/2/2012 7:31:12 PM
gamer141414 posted...
The only way to lower affinity is to give a gift that a person dislikes.

Doesn't giving the wrong answers in heart-to-hearts also lower affinity? There's those hearts falling around the characters which I took to mean losing heart points.