I just don't understand... (lv 72 spoilers)

#1Double_AyyyPosted 5/9/2012 12:32:40 AM
... why people complain about the battle with Disciple Lorithia. I went in with Fiora, Shuk and Dunban (all at lv. 72) and the fight wasn't nearly the nightmare some people make it out to be.

I just used Double Wind to up Fiora's tension, and used Final Cross and Steel Strike (both inflict Topple) in the same chain attack. IIRC, Final Cross is an ether attack which means it hit the elementals hard. Because of the simultaneous Forced Topples, Lorithia spent half of the battle Toppled/Dazed, and the other half involved her attacking with attacks that were weakened to a non-fatal range with Fiora's Strength/Ether drain arts. Monado Armour in a chain attack is also pretty useful. Dunban had all the aggro.

These three are also monsters at filling the party gauge.
---
knowledge is knowing that the tomato is a fruit, wisdom is remembering to not put it in a fruit salad
#2the_rowanPosted 5/9/2012 1:04:30 AM
I think it's that people have been approaching the game with the tank/DPS/support mentality that MMORPGs and the game's tutorials encourage, even though it's not at all optimal for most fights.

Here, you have lots of ether attacks coming in, so Dunban can't properly dodge and Reyn isn't very durable, there's AoE going around, and your standard methods of DPS are met with extremely physical resistance.

Also, topple locks are broken no matter how you slice it. Autowinning against everything that isn't immune to topple, with the stats and abilities of the monster not mattering whatsoever other than maybe making you equip a specific status/spike resistance gem is pretty cheap. Kinda why I advocate crazy antics with Melia and Riki instead of "put Night Vision on Melia and use her topple combo or use three gems and a chain attack with Shulk/Dunban/Fiora, then topple lock."
---
"That is why war is so tragic. To win means to make victims of your opponents and give birth to hatred." - Kratos Aurion, Tales of Symphonia
#3SinfullyvannilaPosted 5/9/2012 5:28:02 AM
It's probably just because almost every other boss fight up to that point is exactly the same and this one you have to approach slightly differently.
---
Before you judge me as a graphics whore for my opinion on Xenoblade, keep in mind my favorite game is Dwarf Fortress. Both are great games with bad graphics.
#4Thanatos2kPosted 5/9/2012 8:38:42 AM
It's not hard - it's annoying. Having to kill nebula enemies is annoying if you didn't bring people with Ether attacks.
---
-Thanatos2k-
#5foo1239Posted 5/9/2012 9:23:43 AM
TBQH I forgot about the call your teammates to you thing, so if they touched that "lava" they died. Thats why it was hard for me. Sans that it was different, but doable. I just retried until nobody stood in lava (thrice)