Questions about the metagame. Spoilers!

#1RuimoundPosted 5/13/2012 8:51:33 PM(edited)
I just finished up the Mechonis Core, and I'm looking to quest my heart out and gear up all my characters. I plan to deliberate endlessly, which may not be such a good idea because Diablo is coming out in roughly 25 hours, but alas. I don't want this experience to end.

So my questions are:

1. Are any armor pieces considered the undisputed best for certain purposes? Which are they? Where can I find them?

2. Does each character have an "ultimate" weapon? Are they all quest/story-based, or do I need to start looking out for them in drops?

3. Is there a compendium of Art Book drops? I'm probably too lazy to collect all of the books, but I can at least aim for the Arts I use. Where can I find certain Art Books?

4. Will doing quests get me to level 99 alone, or will I have to grind to fight the tougher UMs?

5. Which gems are best for each character? For example, I know Night Vision is fantastic for melee-based characters, Double Attack for Fiora, etc. Throughout the entire game I haven't really known what to put in armor slots, and I've just played it by ear–Agility Up or HP Up or whatever random gem I decided to put in. What are some of the crystals and gems I should really be looking out for, and where can I find some of them?

6. What's the best way to increase affinity between party members? I heard about a trick with a specific UM, but I forgot its name. What is it and how do you abuse it?

7. Will I be fighting many Mechons before the end of the game? I'm grounded on Bionis, so I don't see where I would fight Mechons, but for all I know the endgame dungeons feature them extensively. Should I hang onto my Mechon weapons?

If any of these questions are answered even slightly, I will be immensely grateful. Thanks to all of you in advance, and feel free to share some of your tips/strategies if you'd like here.
---
http://backloggery.com/ruimound
#2SpazardsPosted 5/13/2012 9:13:43 PM
1.- Usually the Grace and Glory sets are regarded as the best armor for female and males respectively. Seven's armor depends if you focus on Spped or Power sets, but I think they're on sale in Colony 6. The Grace set is on chests in the last dungeon of the game, while the Glory set drops from the superbosses.

2.-https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?hl=en_US&key=0Anx12MiCQejudHJfUWhOTGd5Wm1uS25ub2FDeE5BekE&hl=en_US&f=true&noheader=false&gid=21

3.-Same link as before.

4.-No. You'll have to level up grinding fights. Places like Satorl Marsh and Bionis Leg are among the favorites to level up in your 70's to 80's, wkile Krolmar Coast, Alcamoth and Tephra Cave is perfect for late 80's and 90's.

5.-Melees will need Agility gems to make use of the Night Vision gems. Capping Double attack is always nice. Aggro down is mandatory if you dps with hard hitters like Seven. Melia and Riki use gems that boost their DoTs like Blaze Plus.

6.- It's the UM in Krolmar Coast. He often uses an ability that sleeps your party. Wake them up and see the affinity rise.

7.-You won't fight any mechons except fro Ancient Daedela, one of the superbosses.
#3ZendaikPosted 5/13/2012 9:15:35 PM(edited)
Most of the info I'll detail can be found here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?hl=en_US&key=0Anx12MiCQejudHJfUWhOTGd5Wm1uS25ub2FDeE5BekE&hl=en_US&f=true&noheader=false&gid=19

1. Lancelot is the best armor for everyone in the game besides 7 because of good defense as well as gem slots. If you use physical attackers like Shulk, Dunban, Reyn, etc. Glory Gauntlets are great (instead of Lancelot Gauntlets) since they provide 45% Haste. For 7, full Speed V armor is optimal though I switched one of the bottom Speed pieces for Attack V.

2. Shulk really doesn't, but I thought Monado Abyss was the best Monado on a first playthrough.

3. Look at the Google Doc.

4. Grind. Not very hard though. Some good places to grind are Satorl Marsh (Night), Alcamoth, deeper parts of Tephra Cave.

5. All Rank VI gems. My main party was Shulk/Dunban/7th and the best gems were Unbeatable, Agility, Double Attack, Spike Defense, Debuff Plus, Night Vision, Topple Plus. Electric Plus is good for Melia. I'll let other people tell you what to put on other characters.

6. Stormy Belagon at Kromar Coast at Eryth Sea. Basically control the character you want to build affinity with. Keep your distance and your party members will attack and be inflicted with status effects. This lets you keep Encouraging them infinite times as long as you don't kill it (if you do, save/reload of course). Very fast method.

7. Not really. One of the 100+ bosses is a Mechon but Enchant is good enough.
---
Monster Hunter Tri ID: Kirolos
#4The_BonesPosted 5/13/2012 9:20:54 PM
Ruimound posted...
I just finished up the Mechonis Core, and I'm looking to quest my heart out and gear up all my characters. I plan to deliberate endlessly, which may not be such a good idea because Diablo is coming out in roughly 25 hours, but alas. I don't want this experience to end.

So my questions are:

1. Are any armor pieces considered the undisputed best for certain purposes? Which are they? Where can I find them?

2. Does each character have an "ultimate" weapon? Are they all quest/story-based, or do I need to start looking out for them in drops?

3. Is there a compendium of Art Book drops? I'm probably too lazy to collect all of the books, but I can at least aim for the Arts I use. Where can I find certain Art Books?

4. Will doing quests get me to level 99 alone, or will I have to grind to fight the tougher UMs?

5. Which gems are best for each character? For example, I know Night Vision is fantastic for melee-based characters, Double Attack for Fiora, etc. Throughout the entire game I haven't really known what to put in armor slots, and I've just played it by ear–Agility Up or HP Up or whatever random gem I decided to put in. What are some of the crystals and gems I should really be looking out for, and where can I find some of them?

6. What's the best way to increase affinity between party members? I heard about a trick with a specific UM, but I forgot its name. What is it and how do you abuse it?

7. Will I be fighting many Mechons before the end of the game? I'm grounded on Bionis, so I don't see where I would fight Mechons, but for all I know the endgame dungeons feature them extensively. Should I hang onto my Mechon weapons?

If any of these questions are answered even slightly, I will be immensely grateful. Thanks to all of you in advance, and feel free to share some of your tips/strategies if you'd like here.

1. There are several good sets of armor for each character. The Lancelot set is considered to be the best medium armor while there are a couple of sets for heavy and light armor that are good. Check here for details - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?hl=en_US&key=0Anx12MiCQejudHJfUWhOTGd5Wm1uS25ub2FDeE5BekE&hl=en_US&f=true&noheader=true&gid=19

2. Yes. Aside from Shulk's weapon they are gotten from monster drops. Click on weapons in the above link for details on those.

3. I don't think there is but the unique monster list in the above link lists which manuals each monster can drop so you can use control+f to find what you're looking for.

4. You will need to grind a little bit to get to 99 and even more so to max out arts and skill trees. Doing all the sidequests should get you pretty high up there and grinding for art manuals will also get you exp.

5. Haste, double attack, and critical up gems are great for physical attacker. Haste is gotten from Arel Telethia that are everywhere in Alcamoth. Double attack is gotten from the big dinosaurs in makna forest. Critical up can only be obtained from a level 108 unique monster so those are harder to get. Heat Sink is great for Sharla but are very rare. 2 rank III gems can be gotten from quests but level 5 crystals can only be obtained from one of the strongest unique monsters I believe. HP up gems are always nice for pretty much everyone aside from Reyn and Riki. Most basic stat up crystals can be gotten from the Ether Mines after you've upgraded nature to level 5 at colony 6. And for Melia and Riki gems that increase their DoT damage are best for them.

6. Don't know which one it is.

7. There are still a few you may want to fight so I would hang onto them.
#5Ruimound(Topic Creator)Posted 5/14/2012 10:43:46 AM
Thank you everyone! You guys are truly great.

I have some Lancelot gear slowly invading my party now, but it sounds like Grace and Glory is what I really want. Since Grace is in specific areas, is there a limited amount of it? If so, I guess it's going to Melia.

I've actually been on that Google Doc for ages now, but I wasn't sure if the armor/weapons it had listed were the undisputed best (or, it seems for weapons, all three disputed bests). Didn't realize it had Art Books listed, either! Thanks, I feel silly now. I guess I'll go UM hunting and try to get every one of them.

It looks like I need more Rank V gems; where can I find the ones that benefit me most? This question isn't urgent, as I still have some time before the necessity for gems really becomes relevant, but I'll leave it floating here. I just fought and beat Radiant Pterix (level 86) with a party at 76, but I mained Melia and she had just turned 77 so I didn't get the achievement for beating an enemy 10+ levels. Oh well, I guess I'm saving it for the superbosses. But the Pterix was a pain with all the other party variations I tried, namely because I didn't have nearly enough Night Vision gems. Where are those found?

Last question: how can I access the second half of Tephra Cave? Is it story-based, or via sidequest? Dulland gave me a sidequest in it, but I'm not sure if it's a sidequest that gives me access to the second half of it or a one that I need the second half of it for.
---
http://backloggery.com/ruimound
#6ZendaikPosted 5/14/2012 12:25:57 PM
Any Rank V gem locations can be found on the Doc. Night Vision specifically can only be found on the Mechon superboss at Fallen Arm. Luckily, if you're lvl 99 you don't even need Night Vision (lower if you use certain parties). Btw, he actually drops Night Vision cylinders so no big hassle needed. Still need to beat him 4x to have enough cylinders to make gems for everyone (with Megaheat).

Tephra Cave's second half entrance is near the waterfall area.
---
#7The_BonesPosted 5/14/2012 12:38:12 PM
Ruimound posted...
Thank you everyone! You guys are truly great.

I have some Lancelot gear slowly invading my party now, but it sounds like Grace and Glory is what I really want. Since Grace is in specific areas, is there a limited amount of it? If so, I guess it's going to Melia.

I've actually been on that Google Doc for ages now, but I wasn't sure if the armor/weapons it had listed were the undisputed best (or, it seems for weapons, all three disputed bests). Didn't realize it had Art Books listed, either! Thanks, I feel silly now. I guess I'll go UM hunting and try to get every one of them.

It looks like I need more Rank V gems; where can I find the ones that benefit me most? This question isn't urgent, as I still have some time before the necessity for gems really becomes relevant, but I'll leave it floating here. I just fought and beat Radiant Pterix (level 86) with a party at 76, but I mained Melia and she had just turned 77 so I didn't get the achievement for beating an enemy 10+ levels. Oh well, I guess I'm saving it for the superbosses. But the Pterix was a pain with all the other party variations I tried, namely because I didn't have nearly enough Night Vision gems. Where are those found?

Last question: how can I access the second half of Tephra Cave? Is it story-based, or via sidequest? Dulland gave me a sidequest in it, but I'm not sure if it's a sidequest that gives me access to the second half of it or a one that I need the second half of it for.

The glory armor is strong defensively but it comes with preset gems so you may not want to use most of it. The only one I would really consider using are the glory gloves as they have 45% haste on them which can free up a weapon gem slot if you don't mind the 5% reduction in haste from a perfect rank vi haste gem. The second part of tephra cave can be accessed after mechonis core and is northwest of the vilia lake landmark. The monsters there are all level 90 plus though so you may want to wait a bit before tackling it.
#8VaenirPosted 5/14/2012 4:18:33 PM
Ruimound posted...
Glory Gauntlets and Speed V Frame are the only pieces that really qualify for this. Glory Gauntlets come from the superbosses, so you'll likely only get them after you've gotten everything else. I don't remember any of the Grace equipment being good. Defense generally doesn't matter enough to sweat the rest, but the aforementioned doc has a decent list.

Full Speed V is far from optimal for Fiora. Aggro down on the head is generally a waste and the hands/legs have duplicate gems. Further, the gems aren't max value. You'd be better off with Z Speed or Attack V and maxed gems aside from the body, which retains its value since it's the only way to get her haste in a non-weapon slot.

They have a "best" weapon, at any rate. Shulk's best non-NG+ weapon (Abyss) is quested, the rest are drops.

The spreadsheet has some UM locations. This page is translated, but is more comprehensive:

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fxenobladedata.web.fc2.com%2F

If you follow the links you should be able to deduce what they're talking about.

Gem farming, killing various UMs, and questing can get you pretty far. You won't reach 99 on that alone, but it's possible to kill everything at levels well below 99 anyway.

There's a ton of gems that are useful in certain situations. Off the top of my head:

Haste, Double Attack, Crit, Unbeatable, Debuff Resist, Spike Defense, Topple Resist, Night Vision, Agility, Strength for melee units, and Topple Plus/Topple Up if you're topple locking. Poison/Chill/Bleed/Blaze/Electric Plus, Ether Plus for ether users. Aggro up/down gems as needed. Back Atk Plus gems are extremely powerful for non-tank units, but they can easily cause said units to take aggro and they're weapon slot only. The Crystal Gem List page on the above translated page is pretty comprehensive for finding crystals for these, as it includes both mining locations and monster drops.
#9ZendaikPosted 5/14/2012 8:06:04 PM
I got my Glory Gauntletss from Final Marcus who's only lvl 100 at Three Sage Summit.
---