Is the story actually bad?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Xenoblade Chronicles
  3. Is the story actually bad?
3 years ago#41
I didn't even rush it and towards the end I did at least 15 hours of sidequesting (mostly the large rebuilding quest). I had about 50 hours on it when I reached the final dungeon, but I did do a decent amount of sidequesting, especially early on. If I didn't go astray I still would've done it in less than 60 hours.

You must've wasted a lot of time somehow, perhaps by leaving the game on while you went off to do something else. Not that it really matters, just enjoy it the way you want to. Most people on this site do finish the game in 70-100 hours, but they often do a good amount of sidequesting as well. Those who don't spend a lot of time on it usually finish within 60 hours.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
3 years ago#42
I liked the story, ending was kinda wtf and made me smile. But good overall. ;)
3 years ago#43
I thought the ending was terrible but it didn't matter the gameplay was amazing.
---
"I roll through the block invincible like I got a star in Mario Kart."
3 years ago#44
LOL, who told you all that BS?
---
Offical Breloom of all pokemon boards.
R.I.P Final fantasy: November 18, 2003.
3 years ago#45
DragoonGriffith posted...
*sigh*

Maybe it's better if you don't buy the game. Wouldn't want another Vesperia hate thing with you and Xenoblade.

I've been looking forward to it since 2007. I'm just worried that I might not like it based on what I've seen, but based on some reviews I think the battle system seems kind of fun, actually. I'm just worried about the story at this point.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
3 years ago#46
Well, the story itself might not be such a big problem compared to the pacing, if you don't like huge games that can take you over 80+ hours, most of which is exploring.

Xenoblade does have a interesting plotline (not comparable to Xenogears and Xenosaga, though), but the bigger problem might be that you might get a feeling that there's too many sidequests and exploration.

Of course, most of those can be ignored, or you can do just the ones you feel like doing.
It's not a strictly story driven game.
---
Currently playing: Tales of Vesperia (PS3), Graces f, Wild ARMs 2, Ys: The Oath in Felghana.
3 years ago#47
DragoonGriffith posted...
Well, the story itself might not be such a big problem compared to the pacing, if you don't like huge games that can take you over 80+ hours, most of which is exploring.

Xenoblade does have a interesting plotline (not comparable to Xenogears and Xenosaga, though), but the bigger problem might be that you might get a feeling that there's too many sidequests and exploration.

Of course, most of those can be ignored, or you can do just the ones you feel like doing.
It's not a strictly story driven game.

I love exploring and sidequesting as long as the locales are beautiful and brimming with activity and the sidequests are interesting and have good rewards, so I should be good. I'm going to pick up TLS and this game ASAP. Probably by Christmas time.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
3 years ago#48
Pandora's Tower needs some attention as well, considering it's on par with TLS and 'blade.
3 years ago#49
I finally am at the last part of the story and i'm at 110 hours.

And quite honestly, I spent maybe 20 hours looking for those @#%#ing Forget-You-Not and the likes.

That being said, the game is awesome.
---
MH3 ID: Nameless - EJ1PGD
Playing Xenoblade Chronicles
3 years ago#50
IMO, the story was a mixed bag. There were several very well-written segments of the story, but at other times, the writing was very weak. Perhaps the best way to put this: at certain parts of the game, I felt as if I were playing Xenogears, while at other times, I felt as if I were playing Star Ocean 4. My primary complaints: Too much deus ex machina, the characters could have been given some more personality & development, and the story's messages/meaning could have been better conveyed (they were overdone and cliched IMO). But the setting was very well imagined, the cutscenes were very well done, and the pacing was great. The story flowed well and was never dull.

Overall, in spite of the flaws, I still enjoyed the story immensely and would highly recommend it.
  1. Boards
  2. Xenoblade Chronicles
  3. Is the story actually bad?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived