Tension?

#1Sirdangolot5Posted 10/3/2012 12:00:18 AM
I've been finding it difficult to find an in-depth explanation of tension anywhere on the net.

I know the bonuses and penalties that are incurred by high and low tension, but I don't know exactly what the values are at which the different tension levels are gained, or how much certain actions influence the tension meter by.

I'm not even completely sure what actions raise tension to begin with!
---
hg fc: 3438 5635 7183
ss fc: 3868 0653 0352
#2AvatarOfBaganPosted 10/3/2012 2:06:13 AM
Sirdangolot5 posted...
I've been finding it difficult to find an in-depth explanation of tension anywhere on the net.

I know the bonuses and penalties that are incurred by high and low tension, but I don't know exactly what the values are at which the different tension levels are gained, or how much certain actions influence the tension meter by.

I'm not even completely sure what actions raise tension to begin with!

Well, here are some bares bones basics to start you off.

Hitting foes with critical hits helps raise it, as well as some Red type techniques.

Tension is shown in your character's expression in the left side of the screen. The more it looks like they are giving a "warcry" the higher the tension is. In reverse, they look depressed until they look sad with a black cloud near them.

Lowering tension occurs when a character misses or has an attack blocked.

To manually raise it, be sure to do the "Burst affinity" (the timing of pressing B mid battle) to enhance it.

That is the basics, but to explain more gets beyond my level of capability.
---
"Nonsense, Bagan cannot be defeated". - Aliens: Super Godzilla
Kool Frostbyte - XBL gamer tag.
#3gaiachaosPosted 10/3/2012 3:18:22 AM(edited)
You're not going to find that stuff on any sites.

-50 or lower: Very low tension
-49-0: low tension
1-199: normal
200-249: high tension
250+: very high tension

Unless stated otherwise, the recipient receives tension.

initial tension (B button - ring just on outer circle): +100 for all
initial tension (B button - ring inside circle): +50 for all
back attack (first attack before battle starts): +50 for all
critical hit: +5
using an arts when monster is in topple status: +10
using an arts when monster is in daze status: +10
using an arts when monster is in sleep status: +10
helping member in very low/low tension: resets to normal tension (100?)
helping toppled member: +25 (targetted member)
helping dazed member: +25 (targetted member)
helping member in sleep status: +25 (targetted member)
helping member in panic status: +25 (targetted member)
using an arts: +5
Vision tag of monster broken (achieved by killing the monster): very high tension for all
Vision tag of monster's action breaks (i.e. by daze, sleep, etc.): +100 for all
Vision tag of target breaks (i.e. target changes depending on aggro of members): +50 for all
Vision tag of outcome breaks (i.e. damage changes): +25 for all
Vision tag of timer breaks: +20 for all

Member KO: very low tension for all (low tension if initially at very high tension)
Member is either toppled, dazed, asleep, in panic, blown away, "knock back": -100
Member is debuffed: -25
Member receives critical hit from monster: -40
Member misses attack: -25
Member's attack shows "resist": -25
Member's attack blocked: -10

Also, check the bonuses from the skill trees and arts, but they are self-explanatory. I think that covers all of it, but....I might be missing a couple.
#4grin43Posted 10/3/2012 3:47:30 AM
HOLY COW! Where did you find all that info? Do you have any of that sort of info regarding aggro? I'm going crazy trying to figure out the mechanics behind aggro, especially Reyn's aggro. Thank you
#5gaiachaosPosted 10/3/2012 12:39:22 PM
grin43 posted...
HOLY COW! Where did you find all that info? Do you have any of that sort of info regarding aggro? I'm going crazy trying to figure out the mechanics behind aggro, especially Reyn's aggro. Thank you

MS didn't provide any concrete data for aggro. They probably believe most people weren't interested.

Reyn's Mad Taunt (may not be accurate because I haven't looked into this deeply):
> can accumulate more aggro as he levels up
> duration of Mad Taunt is slightly reduced as he levels up
> based on his AI, I believe aggro accumulation resets when Mad Taunt duration expires
> effect can be augmented by "Engage"; range can be augmented by "Berserker"
#6VilurumPosted 10/3/2012 1:29:45 PM
gaiachaos posted...
Vision tag of target breaks (i.e. target changes depending on aggro of members): +50 for all

So does that mean that when you get one of those situations where the enemy can't make up its mind whom to aim the attack at, it pretty much catapults everyone to very high tension after a few back-and-forths at +50 each time?

Or are things like that a 1x-per-vision sorta thing? Where you get +50 if it changes target once, but if it changes target again you don't get another +50 for the second change?
---
- Vilurum Xaren, leader of the happy turtles, and knowitall.
... And if you can't spell "Vilurum", call me "Vil". :)
#7gaiachaosPosted 10/3/2012 1:52:02 PM
Vilurum posted...

So does that mean that when you get one of those situations where the enemy can't make up its mind whom to aim the attack at, it pretty much catapults everyone to very high tension after a few back-and-forths at +50 each time?

Yes.
#8VilurumPosted 10/3/2012 2:09:56 PM
Hahaha, that's awesome.
---
- Vilurum Xaren, leader of the happy turtles, and knowitall.
... And if you can't spell "Vilurum", call me "Vil". :)
#9grin43Posted 10/3/2012 4:19:16 PM
gaiachaos posted...
grin43 posted...

MS didn't provide any concrete data for aggro. They probably believe most people weren't interested.

Reyn's Mad Taunt (may not be accurate because I haven't looked into this deeply):
> can accumulate more aggro as he levels up
> duration of Mad Taunt is slightly reduced as he levels up
> based on his AI, I believe aggro accumulation resets when Mad Taunt duration expires
> effect can be augmented by "Engage"; range can be augmented by "Berserker"

WOW! Awesome information! Please share any more info regarding aggro here at thread
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/960564-xenoblade-chronicles/64220811

Really grateful for your input. Do you have any more information you could find? You said you haven't looked too deeply, I was wondering if you could look further pretty please with sugar on top. Do you know how much aggro is generated each second by Reyn's Anchor Chain? Does dodging an attack, blocking an attack, or getting knocked back by an attack cause aggro to be lost or gained?

Greatly looking forward to more information, desperate for more info on this. Thank you VERY very very much!!!
#10gaiachaosPosted 10/3/2012 5:57:27 PM
There is an error in one of my posts. Reyn's aggro decays more readily over time as he levels up and when mad taunt is active. The duration doesn't change.