Wii U upscaled Xenoblade

#1Ruhe69Posted 11/20/2012 11:25:02 PM
According to this:
http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/comments/does-the-wii-u-upscale-games-yes
some games look better on wii u, but some others look pixelated.

Could someone who owns the wii u and the game be kind enough to make a video, comments or comparison about this?

Thank you in advance.

btw, copypasta
#2QuasherPosted 11/21/2012 6:48:40 PM
Upscaling happens anyway even if you're feeding a 480p Component signal from a Wii to an HDTV. If the picture wasn't upscaled you'd see a small 640x480 pixel box surrounded in a sea of black covering the rest of the unused 1920x1080 pixels of the display.

If a game looks worse when set to 1080p on the Wii U, try 480p on the Wii U and the results should be similar to that of the original Wii (if not a bit better due to HDMI's advantage over Component on TVs with poor analog-to-digital conversion).
---
cats are OK - purrr
dogs are OK - wooof
#3FuzzyJelloPosted 11/22/2012 5:50:58 PM
Except the point of internal scaling in a console is to apply filtering that will make it look better than a TV-scaled image. Problem is we don't know what exactly the Wii U does when it scales yet.
#4The_AbhorrentPosted 11/22/2012 11:25:22 PM
Having tried out this game on the Wii U (1080p using an HDMI cable), here's the quick rundown:

- Resolution is improved. Models seem much sharper and crisper for the most part, and nothing seems all that fuzzy.

- Textures do NOT benefit from upscaling with the Wii U. They were never that great, and could seem more out-of-place than before thanks to the higher resolutions.

- Setting up a Wii U to play Xenoblade Chronicles is a royal pain. The main issue is that you'll have to download (yes, that means using the built-in wireless to connect a network) the emulated Wii menu. The download took an age for me for some reason, but you have to jump through some hoops to get the Wii U to play Wii games. Not too much trouble once it's all sorted, thankfully.

- The boot-up time for the Wii U is rather sluggish. Not painfully so, but enough to be noticed. In-game loading times seem unaffected, if not somewhat faster.

- You'll still have to use your old Wii-mote (and classic controller if you use that) to play the game, and it has to be in the 1st player wi-fi slot to boot (that seems to be a quirk with the game rather than anything else). They do work with the Wii U's sensor bar (which may even be the same one), but you can't make use of the Wii U's controllers to play this game; it makes some sense in context (need the wii-motes for games which actually make use of the motion sensors), but Xenoblade doesn't get an exception of convinience.

---

All in all, the game doesn't look THAT much better; low-res textures are still low-res textures, and HD output will never solve that particular problem. As far as XBC is concerns, you shouldn't be bothering to get a Wii U to play it; the Wii does it just as well without any of the headaches with setting it up. The HD resolution has not much of a benefit simply due to how low-res the textures are.

... Unless XBC is killing your old Wii system, at which point the choices are "upgrade to new backwards-compatible model" and "replace with old model when new one just came out".
---
He who isn't afraid to stand by his ideals...
Isn't afraid to stand alone.
#5QuasherPosted 11/23/2012 8:09:57 AM(edited)
Except the point of internal scaling in a console is to apply filtering that will make it look better than a TV-scaled image.

Can't say I've ever noticed filtering applied to 360 or PS3 games being upscaled to 1080p via the console rather than the HDTV. Have you? (if so, please give me some game examples---I'd really like to check out what my consoles can do scaling-wise vs a good HDTV)

I've certainly seen it for emulated games like PS1/PS2 games on a PS3 or PS1 games on a PS2, but the filters were optional IIRC. At least the one that had the biggest visual impact---Smoothing.

- Resolution is improved. Models seem much sharper and crisper for the most part, and nothing seems all that fuzzy.

So the native internal rendering of Xenoblade probably becomes higher than 480p on the Wii U, just like with an HD Collection game on the 360/PS3? Textures often aren't improved in those, either, which is why I'm asking you this.
---
cats are OK - purrr
dogs are OK - wooof
#6FuzzyJelloPosted 11/23/2012 11:16:57 AM
Quasher posted...
Except the point of internal scaling in a console is to apply filtering that will make it look better than a TV-scaled image.

Can't say I've ever noticed filtering applied to 360 or PS3 games being upscaled to 1080p via the console rather than the HDTV. Have you? (if so, please give me some game examples---I'd really like to check out what my consoles can do scaling-wise vs a good HDTV)

I'm going off stuff I hear secondhand, not personal experience, so I very well could be talking out my arse. I just recall hearing somewhere that the HD consoles just apply filters over their 720p/1080i mode because they can't render 1080p without a performance drop. If anyone who actually owns a dang HD console wants to shoot my s*** in the feet, fire away, please.

Quasher posted...

So the native internal rendering of Xenoblade probably becomes higher than 480p on the Wii U, just like with an HD Collection game on the 360/PS3? Textures often aren't improved in those, either, which is why I'm asking you this.

If Nintendo's even halfway matched Dolphin without intending to, at least up to the 1080p line, that would be a pleasant surprise.
#7gaiachaosPosted 11/23/2012 12:44:20 PM

Quasher posted...

This is wrong. Wii games render at 480p. The reason why you see poorer quality on the Wii than on Wii U is because some people use third party HDMI to AV converter. Conversion of the digital signals result in loss of audio and video quality. Now with the Wii U, this will not be an issue because digital signals aren't converted. The game still looks ugly when you stretch the resolution.

You can't change texture quality because the texture size are fixed. Wii only has 88 MB of RAM, so you are looking at a maximum size of 512 x 512 pixels or equivalent. Wii U will have much larger maximum (8192 x 8192 pixels or equivalent), so texture quality for Wii U games will be significantly better. Monolith Soft will heavily make use of this for their next RPG game.
#8neonreapPosted 11/23/2012 7:17:33 PM
- Textures do NOT benefit from upscaling with the Wii U. They were never that great, and could seem more out-of-place than before thanks to the higher resolutions.

This is about all it amounts to, for me. I honestly rather just play it on the Wii.
---
Roads go ever ever on, over rock and under tree
By caves where never sun has shown, by streams that never find the sea.
#9jmac1686Posted 11/24/2012 7:26:10 AM
I am playing Xenoblade on my Wii U and for me the game looks much sharper and clearer than on the Wii. Of course details are not improved but I see a very noticeable difference while playing. Text is sharp and clear, menus are as well. Overall, I wouldn't purchase a Wii U solely to play this game but I am pleasantly surprised by how nice Wii collection looks.

Also, not sure what this guy is talking about when he says he had to download a Wii Menu? I just had to tap my icon for the Wii and it reboots in Wii mode and done....nothing lengthy at all.
---
Currently playing: Black Ops 2, Mass Effect, Halo 4
#10The_AbhorrentPosted 11/24/2012 8:43:40 AM
jmac1686 posted...
Also, not sure what this guy is talking about when he says he had to download a Wii Menu? I just had to tap my icon for the Wii and it reboots in Wii mode and done....nothing lengthy at all.

It might be pre-installed on the deluxe Wii U. I only got the basic edition because it was literally the last one in stock (deluxe would've been preferred, but wasn't essential for me), which could be the source of that problem. Nevertheless, it's still just a first-time setup detail; once it's done, you don't have to deal with it again.
---
He who isn't afraid to stand by his ideals...
Isn't afraid to stand alone.