Japanese/Chinese references lost in translation.

#61Ultimate_Nova_X(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 6:24:08 PM
I_eat_tables posted...
So two things I'm thinking after reading this thread.

1) "Chosen One" seems pretty reasonable as a translation for that. I mean you only have a limited space for weapon names, and especially a weapon with two Chinese references isn't going to translate well if you try and transliterate. I mean where do you go from "Above and Beyond the Sky I am the Only Way"? Well... first you change the first phrase to universe: "The Only Way in the Universe." Then you try and make it more suitable for a weapon name: "Chosen One".

2) What's the name of mechon in Japanese? Google translate loves to call them Machine Gods, so I'm wondering why it's translating as that, basically.

1) YMMV. Just because they couldn't have done better doesn't always mean what they came up with automatically is good.

2) Because that's exactly what Kishin means.
---
-User Name Origin: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO_5esMq2kE#t=56s
"Japanese Wii U. American Wii U. The future is yours, Xenoblade U."
#62SomniancePosted 2/5/2013 9:11:24 PM
I_eat_tables posted...
So two things I'm thinking after reading this thread.

1) "Chosen One" seems pretty reasonable as a translation for that. I mean you only have a limited space for weapon names, and especially a weapon with two Chinese references isn't going to translate well if you try and transliterate. I mean where do you go from "Above and Beyond the Sky I am the Only Way"? Well... first you change the first phrase to universe: "The Only Way in the Universe." Then you try and make it more suitable for a weapon name: "Chosen One".

2) What's the name of mechon in Japanese? Google translate loves to call them Machine Gods, so I'm wondering why it's translating as that, basically.

1.) I haven't seen this yet since I've not made headway in the game, but is this the "tenjo tenka yui ga dokuson," thing? I first heard that before I started learning Japanese in Guilty Gear, and I'm still confused by it. Is it meant to be a famous proverb of Chinese origin? If read in Japanese it shouldn't have that meaning.

2.) Already said, but "kishinhei," is what they are called. "Ki," referring to machinery, and "shin," referring to God, gods, divinity, etc. "Hei" means soldier, and is used as a descriptive noun in this case. The Kishin is the name of the machine god itself.
#63Ultimate_Nova_X(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 9:38:16 PM
1) I've already addressed that this was a quote from Buddhism's originator, Sakyamuni Buddha.
---
#64SomniancePosted 2/6/2013 12:18:06 AM
Well, what I'm mainly confused about is the use of "dokuson". Does that have a different meaning that I'm not sure of? I thought it was just used for conceit.
#65Ultimate_Nova_X(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2013 5:55:36 PM
Somniance posted...
Well, what I'm mainly confused about is the use of "dokuson". Does that have a different meaning that I'm not sure of? I thought it was just used for conceit.

I basically covered everything I knew in a nutshell.
---
#66AxtlarPosted 2/6/2013 6:21:44 PM
Somniance posted...

Obviously another name for Dickson.
#67Ultimate_Nova_X(Topic Creator)Posted 2/17/2013 7:22:00 PM
Bumping this I'm too lazy to update topic.
---
#68anonymous4everPosted 2/17/2013 8:38:35 PM
Enaikei posted...
ToiseOfChoice posted...
English rules always and forever.

The most pathetic statement ever made.

No it's a valid statement. English is spoken natively in more countries than any other language. Also, there is a reason most foreign secondary schools require students to take English courses. It's the language of business, not to mention science in general. It opens up opportunity, and is well on it's way toward becoming the dominant global language. It's basically irrelevant whether you like this fact or not.
#69Ultimate_Nova_X(Topic Creator)Posted 2/17/2013 8:55:02 PM(edited)
anonymous4ever posted...
Enaikei posted...
ToiseOfChoice posted...

No it's a valid statement. English is spoken natively in more countries than any other language. Also, there is a reason most foreign secondary schools require students to take English courses. It's the language of business, not to mention science in general. It opens up opportunity, and is well on it's way toward becoming the dominant global language. It's basically irrelevant whether you like this fact or not.

While this is true, it doesn't mean the language is the best language ever just because it is dominant. For example, simplified Chinese is more prominent than traditional Chinese. Does that mean it is better? A definite big no, and this is fact.

English is prominent largely because of British common-wealth.
---
#70allgdnamesrgonePosted 2/18/2013 8:04:53 AM
anonymous4ever posted...
Enaikei posted...
ToiseOfChoice posted...

This is a post of ignorance.

Spanish has far more countries that speak it natively. I wouldn't be surprised if Arabic surpassed it also. Also, both Spanish and Mandarin have more native speakers. Mandarin having something like 3x and growing.

The language of science is Latin.

Also, how is the language of business English? The language of the business is whatever country you're in and if working with foreigners its common place to have a translator.