New Wii U RPG from Monolith

#21ItsukanPosted 1/23/2013 8:09:17 AM
Winterglaive posted...
I hate to say this guys, but... anyone notice the "Player1" "Player2" "Player3" etc. in place of character names on the HUD?

Hopefully they just don't want to reveal main character names yet. Less egregiously, perhaps it's simply locally multiplayer. But god... if this is an MMO...

There's a low chance it'll be a mmo like FFXI, but there's a high chance it'll be like Monster Hunter's online, which I'm totally fine with as long as the whole thing isn't multiplayer.
#22XenoDude(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2013 8:09:31 AM
True_Fan posted...
crap. Player 1 2 3 got me nervous. i hope it ain't online only co-op.

Damn.. that would suck. As in NOT time to get a Wii U afterall..
---
It's all a bunch of 0's and 1's... Why does it really matter?
#23zelos71Posted 1/23/2013 8:12:16 AM
It most definitely has online coop since you can see the chat at some point in the lower left.
#24ChilosanPosted 1/23/2013 8:24:45 AM
As long as online co-op is not mandatory and as long as you don't have to be connected to the online servers to play the game, I'm fine with it...
---
If all else fails use fire.
Official Huang Long of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
#25True_FanPosted 1/23/2013 8:25:03 AM
UI says the Mechs are called Dolls based on Doll Fuel on upper right corner when you board mechs.

I hope it recharges lol. Are they going for a real MMO? something tells me Takahashi might prefer an MMO(semi diablo, borderlands) that expands the story with each expansion.
---
Pokwang
#26MottmanPosted 1/23/2013 8:30:08 AM
Winterglaive posted...
I hate to say this guys, but... anyone notice the "Player1" "Player2" "Player3" etc. in place of character names on the HUD?

Hopefully they just don't want to reveal main character names yet. Less egregiously, perhaps it's simply locally multiplayer. But god... if this is an MMO...

That never occurred to me when watching the video, and I still don't strongly consider it a possibility. Most likely, they either didn't want to reveal official names yet, or it's so early in development that they haven't come up with all the character names yet. Note that in part of the video, it also said "Tester," so clearly this is still in development and not even close to a finished product yet. Or there could be a multi-player OPTION in addition to the main game, like in The Last Story. I wouldn't get all worried about it being a MMO just yet.

As for the game, it certainly bears similarities to Xenoblade Chronicles, especially in the battle system and apparent day/night system. Unlike many, I hope this IS a true sequel. I'd love to see the continuing stories of the characters I grew to love in the original game, or at least learn from explanation and backstory elements what happened to them.

Even so, despite the "X" at the end, I'll reserve judgment on whether this is a true sequel or just a similar all-new game until it's confirmed one way or the other. Still, it certainly looks good enough to tempt me into getting a Wii U eventually, making it the first game shown by Nintendo yet to make me want the system (not counting Super Smash Bros 4, which we know nothing about yet).

One last rant, though: I don't want to be a complainer, but where was my beautiful Xenoblade-style music in that video???? The piece of music they used in the trailer was okay, but it sounded like most other cookie-cutter video game soundtracks out there. Why couldn't they get ACE+, Shimomura, and the rest of the Xenoblade crew back for music? Even if this is not a true sequel, their music was so awesome, they should've been the go-to team for all future Monolith Soft projects.
---
"Champions don't whine, they win!" - Vangarre from Xenoblade Chronicles
"Soon we will see Pokemon XXX." - Kooky_von_Koopa
#27AxtlarPosted 1/23/2013 8:34:00 AM
omfgasds;kjf;lajsdfklsjd!

I want it nao!
#28Adrak990Posted 1/23/2013 8:39:51 AM
Man, this isn't nearly what I was hoping for, although I'll still definitely be keeping my eyes on this. The return of the mecha is pretty cool too.
#29WinterglaivePosted 1/23/2013 8:51:05 AM
Mottman posted...
One last rant, though: I don't want to be a complainer, but where was my beautiful Xenoblade-style music in that video???? The piece of music they used in the trailer was okay, but it sounded like most other cookie-cutter video game soundtracks out there. Why couldn't they get ACE+, Shimomura, and the rest of the Xenoblade crew back for music? Even if this is not a true sequel, their music was so awesome, they should've been the go-to team for all future Monolith Soft projects.

I strongly disagree that the Xenoblade sound team should come back for any future MonoSoft projects. I loved a good handful of tracks, but it was literally less than a quarter of the whole score. Most music was pretty bland.

That said, I strongly agree that the music in this trailer is generic. The composer, Hiroyuki Sawano, is of an entirely younger generation than Mitsuda and Shimomura. His discography appears to be entirely anime, and much like Yuki Kajiura, his style sounds amateur at best. The one thing in Kajiura's favor is she was somehow granted a budget for live performers, inflating the actual quality of her underdeveloped music. This trailer is entirely synth, and Sawano clearly doesn't have the chops of a seasoned game music composer.

So, at first I was glad we have a new composer, but I'm now suddenly wishing we had the old ones back. :p

Seriously, though, why isn't Mitsuda the lead composer? He gave MonoSoft their best soundtracks (Xenogears, Saga 1, and Soma Bringer) and Takahashi knows it. Bring him back. ;.;
#30Adrak990Posted 1/23/2013 8:53:49 AM
Winterglaive posted...
Seriously, though, why isn't Mitsuda the lead composer? He gave MonoSoft their best soundtracks (Xenogears, Saga 1, and Soma Bringer) and Takahashi knows it. Bring him back. ;.;

I'm still waiting for a legendary Mitsuda-Kajiura cooperative effort on a soundtrack. That would be so amazing.