Possible system requirements?

#1groove311Posted 7/5/2009 12:03:43 PM
Would a pentium D 920 2.8Ghz work with this game or need a more powerful computer?

---
I am an alien
#2MarikhenPosted 7/6/2009 12:21:39 AM
Yeah, you'd need something more powerful.

At the very least you'd need a computer that has a hard drive and video card.

Then again, who knows. The system requirements have only been hinted at so it's not like anyone could really say much of anything more than, "If it can play current-generation games 5 years from now it has a 50/50 chance of running FFXIV."

So, ask yourself how well your computer could handle a game 50-75% more demanding than Crysis and go from there.

---
"Let me get this straight: you think I'm evil if I take a group of teenage girls on a camping trip and I *don't* touch them?" - Giles, Buffy
#3KONEBOXPosted 7/6/2009 1:56:05 AM

Yes you'll definately need a more powerful PC. If you can, wait 'till Christmas for some good PC deals from your local shop. Also you don't need a 'Crysis PC' to play this game, well maybe in a area with 200 people at the same time, hehe. Check this system requirements page, if you can play the Last Remnant you can play Final Fantasy XIV (okay if you can't don't blame me :P)

#4MagickMedicinePosted 7/6/2009 5:50:20 AM
Last Remnant runs on the Unreal 3 engine, FFXIV runs on the Crystal Tools engine. That said, their minimum requirements are still limited by the PS3 if nothing else. And you know they'll have the option to turn things like AA off.
#5MarikhenPosted 7/6/2009 12:08:30 PM
Based on what's been said in other threads about the PS2 version of Final Fantasy XI compared to the PC version and what's purportedly been said by the developers/talking heads about the upcoming Final Fantasy XIV releases I'd have to say that presuming anything about the PS3 release would limit the PC release might be a tad premature.

Logic would say it ought to, but then logic would also seem to dictate that Square-Enix not put in a state-of-the-art or next-gen graphics engine into Final Fantasy XIV which is, apparently, what they still intend to do.

So again, I reiterate, if Square-Enix is dead-set on building a graphics engine that will still look good in 5 years you should probably look at the actual requirements, not the paper requirements, for running Crysis and boost them by about 50%.

I rather imagine that running Final Fantasy XIV with everything set to low will be much more forgiving than trying to run Crysis or similar titles, but I think it's a safe bet that the high-end graphics side of the engine will be much closer to Crysis' requirements than they will be to, as another FPS example because I can't think of any decent MMO examples, Dead Space.

Still, we should all remember the lessons of the past. Back when Sierra was a major name in the publishing industry, and Quest for Glory V hadn't been released, they put out a game called Hoyle Blackjack. The funny thing about the game was that it pretty much required a PII 233 or 266 to run. There was only one small problem. The fastest CPU at the time was the "Pentium 200 w/MMX."

It doesn't take a genius to produce and/or publish a game that will only run well on future-tech.

---
"Let me get this straight: you think I'm evil if I take a group of teenage girls on a camping trip and I *don't* touch them?" - Giles, Buffy
#6MagickMedicinePosted 7/6/2009 1:34:08 PM
Stop pretending to know what you're talking about, k?
#7MarikhenPosted 7/6/2009 10:53:43 PM
Stop pretending to know what you're talking about, k? - MagickMedicine

http://ffxivonline.com/?page_id=70

"For those of you looking to prep a new PC, Tanaka claims they are really looking to get on the cutting edge of technology with this installment. Like Final Fantasy XI, the game specs will be extremely high for the time, but in about 5 years, an average machine can run it on max settings with little to no issues."

Crysis is over a year and a half old and recent hardware generations mean that you no longer need a bleeding-edge computer to run it at maximum settings. I can run it pretty well with a Phenom II x3 720, 4gb DDR3 1600, Sapphire Radeon HD4830 512mb GDDR3 system in fact. A system I put together for roughly $630.

Final Fantasy XIV has, at the moment, a release date of "TBA 2010" which means it'll come at least a couple of months after Windows 7 debuts with DirectX 11 and a couple of years after Crysis was released.

It sure seems to me that a Crysis+50% PC would be a fairly good estimate of what it'd take to "run it on max settings with little to no issues"

But hey, what do I know, I'm just another GameFAQs.com poster espousing my opinion, just like you.

---
#8MagickMedicinePosted 7/7/2009 4:31:25 AM
But hey, what do I know, I'm just another GameFAQs.com poster espousing my opinion, just like you.

No, I know for a fact it's Crysis+100% & will run on DirectX 14. Because assumptions & make believe specs make a whole lot of sense.
#9MarikhenPosted 7/7/2009 5:52:36 PM
No, I know for a fact it's Crysis+100% & will run on DirectX 14. - MagickMedicine

You know, it's kinda funny that you toss around which version of DirectX Final Fantasy XIV will be optimized for, especially as I didn't. All I did was point out that it's current release date might be, some might say will probably be, in 2010 which will be a minimum of 2 months after Windows 7 and, presumably, DirectX 11 hit the market.

Because assumptions & make believe specs make a whole lot of sense. - MagickMedicine

"That said, their minimum requirements are still limited by the PS3 if nothing else"

Apparently they only lack sense if they aren't your assumptions as you are apparently assuming that the PC version of game will be constrained in any fashion by its PS3 counterpart.

Still, it's entertaining that you lambast the people who are tossing around theoretical requirements and not the person who made the topic when it's makes just as much sense to ask for the requirements of a game we've seen nothing more than a video of and which has a release date that's nothing more than, "We're shooting for this year but we don't even know which quarter" listed on this site.

---
#10MagickMedicinePosted 7/7/2009 6:22:06 PM
Apparently they only lack sense if they aren't your assumptions as you are apparently assuming that the PC version of game will be constrained in any fashion by its PS3 counterpart.

Any logical reason as to why they would raise the minimum PC requirements to such a high level when they've already got a playable version running low enough for the PS3 & possibly 360? A hunch that they'll remodel the entire game for the PC version? Do you think the minimum requirements to run FFXIV are FFXIV+20%?

It's an assumption by technicality, but common sense would say otherwise.
More topics from this board...
Password reset issueJimmyJamma15312/8 5:56PM