Speculation on elements (Astral and Umbral)

#1YomjosekiPosted 9/14/2010 1:18:25 PM
We all know there's lighting, water, wind, fire, stone, and ice.

Most of us know the elemental strengths and weaknesses. These are as follows:

Fire melts Ice.
Ice blocks wind.
Wind extinguishes fire.

Water erodes earth.
Earth grounds lightning.
Lightning boils water.

So, if you use a fire spell on an ice enemy, it's more effective. If you use an ice spell on a fire enemy, it's less effective.

Less people know that your elemental resistance also affects the potency of the spells and abilities you use. Because of this, I'm not going to refer to it as elemental resistance anymore. I will call it elemental affinity.

I don't know how much conversation there's been, but there's definitely light and dark (also called Astral and Umbral, respectively). What we don't know (yet) is how to make those spells/abilities more effective.

This is pure speculation here, but what if each of the elements are affiliated with Astral or Umbral magic? Example: Say Lightning, Fire, and Wind are all Astral elements, while Earth, Water, and Ice were the Umbral elements. Raising Lightning, Fire, and Wind would raise your Astral spell/ability potency, while raising Earth, Water, and Ice would raise your Umbral spell/ability potency.

There's got to be a way to control your Astral and Umbral affinity, and if you played FFXI, you'd know that SE likes to have a lot of hidden stats. Does anyone else have any theories on how to raise the potency of Astral and Umbral magic/abilities? That's the best I could come up with.
---
You can't believe everything you read on the internet. That's how World War I got started. :3
#2Klesk14Posted 9/14/2010 1:22:23 PM
Uh is this a new set of weaknesses?

Water > Fire?
Wind > Earth?
#3Yomjoseki(Topic Creator)Posted 9/14/2010 1:28:37 PM
It's different from FFXI. Instead of a cycle of 6 elements, there's two sets of three elements that function in a rock, paper, scissors manner.
---
You can't believe everything you read on the internet. That's how World War I got started. :3
#4Yomjoseki(Topic Creator)Posted 9/14/2010 1:33:02 PM
(in FFXI, Water > Fire > Ice > Wind > Earth > Lightning > Water etc)

I messed up in the original post. Ignore what I had originally said: My official theory is that Fire, Ice, and Wind are Astral, and Lightning, Water, and Earth are Umbral.

Also, I think this will (eventually) factor in heavily to the Battle Regimen system.
---
#5benjjjaminPosted 9/14/2010 1:45:16 PM
I think they're just secondary and based off your core stats. Some spells just make sense not to involve in elemental stat switching and all that jazz because they're more all-purpose. Things like slow. Blind. Paralyze. Dia. Protect. Shell.

You can test it easily. Just keep respec'ing and don't put any points into any element. See how much your scourge and banish does.

---
Advanced laparoscopy is like a FPS. You choose from guns to shoot at things on the screen for a few hours. You're just shooting at the console is all.
#6Yomjoseki(Topic Creator)Posted 9/14/2010 1:53:53 PM
I think they're just secondary and based off your core stats. Some spells just make sense not to involve in elemental stat switching and all that jazz because they're more all-purpose. Things like slow. Blind. Paralyze. Dia. Protect. Shell.

Benjjjy, in FFXI, Paralyze was Ice and Slow was Earth. Blind was Dark, and Dia, Protect, and Shell were light. Why wouldn't it make sense for them to be with the same (or with any) element in FFXIV?
---
#7Yomjoseki(Topic Creator)Posted 9/14/2010 5:23:11 PM
bump >.>
---
#8junglist119Posted 9/14/2010 8:07:13 PM
A Thaumaturge in a group I was in a few days ago said he noticed that Astral was helping stick his debuffs on the mobs we were fighting. Seems like luck to me as SE doesn't make things that easy to figure out. Your theory is more complicated, so it's probably a lot closer to something SE would do.
#9Yomjoseki(Topic Creator)Posted 9/14/2010 8:18:12 PM
Well, the descriptions for Banish and Scourge are as follows:

Banish Deals astral damage to and reduces astral magic defense of enemies within area of effect.

Scourge Deals umbral damage to and reduces umbral magic defense of enemies within area of effect.

So I guess it'd be kinda easy to test which elements are which by casting Stone, recording the damage, casting Banish or Scourge (and making sure they receive the effect of those spells), and then casting Stone again and noting the damage difference.

I'll try this again after server maintenance or tomorrow.
---
#10PointmanPosted 9/14/2010 8:21:29 PM
The starting Thaum weapon is 40% Fire, 30/30 Lightning/Earth.
Play around with those and see what happens.