Crafting, and armor questions

#1LunerPosted 9/30/2010 4:45:43 PM
From my understanding you must gather materials and craft your own armor.

I'm currently playing the cat girl people, as an Archer. I'm new to the whole FF online universe. so I have no idea what I'm doing here. I've done a few quests here and there, but I'm curious as to how I go about obtaining the proper tools to craft armor. Further more, I was wondering if you have to craft your own weapons as well. Being an archer, I'm having trouble figuring out where to purchase arrows or where I go to craft them and what have you.

If anyone can clarify please do.
---
The process of learning to draw is like developing a taste for fine wine, the longer you indulge in it, the more adept you become at tasting your art.
#2kamikaze135Posted 9/30/2010 4:47:39 PM
You need to switch classes (so buy the weapon appropriate to the class you want) then craft away. Go to http://ffxiv.yg.com/ for recipes.
---
Set signature in options page.
#3SpinCyclePosted 9/30/2010 4:52:42 PM
You don't need to craft your own weapons or armor. You can buy them from other
players bazaars or in the market wards from retainers if your brave and have a
couple hours to waste. However it is advisable to level a craft. You can do so by
purchasing a tool for said craft from an npc in the main cities.

You don't really need new armor until post rank 10 though, and you should have
plenty of gil to purchase those by that time. Do some leves, both regional and local.
Get in a leve party when you've completed your own.
---
"I'm rubber, you're glue. Things bounce off of me and your made from horses."
#4Luner(Topic Creator)Posted 9/30/2010 5:51:04 PM
Ok, I'm in Gridania, where exactly would I go to buy new weapons? Also, does anyone have suggestions of what might be a good craft to pick up?
---
The process of learning to draw is like developing a taste for fine wine, the longer you indulge in it, the more adept you become at tasting your art.
#5kamikaze135Posted 9/30/2010 6:36:40 PM
Whenever you see a bag icon over a players head, click on the player, open up your menu an go to "Browse"
---
Set signature in options page.
#6dark trunksPosted 9/30/2010 6:39:55 PM
First time I've seen people suggest people buy armour here, ha ha.

Best thing you can do if you do want to craft is to purchase the tools you want to craft with. If you want to do smithing, get the blacksmith tools.

Then you want to local leves, from the person to the right of the guy who does battle leves. These will boost your Rank and Physical, and you don't use anything of your own.

Miner is a good gathering class to take up for blacksmith. That way you can get your own materials from the earth, instead of from the stores.

I'd be suggesting you do buy from people, but for **** sake, never pay 50,000 for ANYTHING at this point. You're being ripped off. Especially when you could find it cheaper somewhere else, or a better armour for less.
---
"If you've got yourself a dream, work hard, believe in yourself because I know dreams can come true."- Dennis DeYoung 1997
#7Luner(Topic Creator)Posted 9/30/2010 11:52:46 PM
so being an archer doesn't restrict what kind of armor I can wear? That's interesting. So in order to start down a path for a craft all I need are the tools? well thats certainly very interesting.

I imagine Dex is my primary stat to go into then as an archer correct?
---
#8ShadygrovePosted 9/30/2010 11:57:42 PM
In Gridania you have an archery shop. North end of town just south of the Lancer's Guild.

They also have the Woodworker's and Botanist's Guilds, both decent trades for an Archer.

---
To most Christians the bible is like a software license No one actually reads it They just scroll to the bottom and click "I agree"
#9Luner(Topic Creator)Posted 10/1/2010 12:44:38 AM
what exactly do woodworkers do? Create Staves? I don't really understand entirely how the crafting system in FF works. I'm coming from world of warcraft, where professions are pretty straight forward, and the selection was far less diverse.
---
#10Luner(Topic Creator)Posted 10/1/2010 12:01:10 PM
bump, wow fast board!
---