Why Skyward sword does not deserve to win game of the year.

#1iohcPosted 11/18/2011 1:33:43 PM
Now before you Zelda fanboys swing mud at me and insult my very existence, please hear me out. This is a completely unbiased list of reasons as to why Zelda is undeserving of any game of the year awards. Note that I am not calling Skyward sword a terrible game.

Graphics
First off, Iíd like to say that any review site that hands outs high scores for Zelda does so because itís a Wii game. What do I mean by this? Letís look at IGN for instance. Crysis 2 on the PC scored a 9.5 on graphics while skyward sword scored a perfect 10. Heres what Crysis 2 looks like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8z8knMzIBw

and heres what Skyward sword looks like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KovUdBnuh-w

Crysis 2 was released months before Skyward sword but scored lower on graphics. The reason? Because SS is a Wii game and the Wii is limited in hardware. In other words, Skyward swords graphics are excellentÖÖÖ... for a wii game. Release a game with Skyward swords level of graphics on the PC/Xbox/PS3 and youíd be lucky to score above a 6/10. Some review sites have even criticized Skyrim for certain humanoid characters looking unnatural and yet Skyward swords kiddie anime characters are somehow considered flawless. This same logic also applies to Zeldas voice acting, controls and gameplay mechanics or lack of.

Voice acting
There have been many great games that have lost points for slightly flawed voice acting. Zelda completely bypasses this by having no voice acting whatsoever. Itís as if reviewers are encouraging games to ditch voice acting altogether and go back towards dreary text after text. Whats the point of hiring expensive and talented voice actors if your only going to end up losing points for it?

Controls
The controls in this game are terrible. If thereís one thing Modern warfare gets right, itís the controls. MWís controls are smooth, responsive and easy to use even for beginners, SS is not. Iíve heard the excuses from Zelda fanboys that the controls take some time to master. What a terrible excuse. Great games are not supposed to have clunky and unresponsive controls that ďtakes timeĒ to master. Give me enough time and Iíll get use to the controls of Big Rigs: Over the road racing, give me even more time and Iíll eventually get use to Superman 64 like this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7Jrx-FlAlE

Gameplay
Repetitive fetch quest after fetch quest. Having to back track to the same place again and again. Some might find this fun, some don't. The terrible controls makes this all the more frustrating. Definitely not game of the year material.

In conclusion, Skyward sword does not deserve to win game of the year. Skyward sword scores highly for a wii game but that doesn't mean anything. Game of the year should be given to the best game irrespective of console limitations. Lets be honest here, SS can be a fun game to play but its nowhere near perfect or deserving of game of the year.
---
According to Bahamut APs, Boswer Elkei and Jasten, running straight towards a crazed gun man rather than away from him is a better way of not getting shot.
#2guncrashdxPosted 11/18/2011 1:34:39 PM
You got to admit though, it at least deserves SOMETHING.
---
My name is guncrashdx, but you can just call me TC.
#3bladedwraithPosted 11/18/2011 1:34:52 PM
THanks for your opinion. But I've played Skyward sword and its fun.

However if anyone bothers to read this.

The controls take some getting used to at first.
#4FlyinTonitePosted 11/18/2011 1:38:39 PM
Goty takes into account everything in a game, including console limitations. So no, I don't buy skyward sword is disqualified b.c it is a wii game.
---
And when you feel like it's over, there's another round for you.
#5GodofLazinessPosted 11/18/2011 1:42:23 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#6Shade_1Posted 11/18/2011 1:43:56 PM
*Stabs TC in the face with Goddess Sword*
---
Are you a gamer or do you just play one on a gaming website?
#7GodofLazinessPosted 11/18/2011 1:44:32 PM
GodofLaziness posted...
Sure, you're unbiased, comparing it to Crysis 2 and MW3. Sure. I really don't care if SS win GOTY but I hope it does just to wipe the smile off of some of the trolls bashing the game. It would be sweet to see them nerdrage.

Fix'd <.<
---
Official Slacker of the Zelda boards.
#8iohc(Topic Creator)Posted 11/18/2011 1:45:37 PM
Goty takes into account everything in a game, including console limitations. So no, I don't buy skyward sword is disqualified b.c it is a wii game.

Thats exactly whats wrong with those game of the year awards. They don't actually vote for the best game. They vote for the "best game" in regards to console limitations. Zelda doesn't look points for graphics due to inferior console. Doesn't lose points for voice acting because it doesn't have any. Doesn't lose points for flawed character design because everything is in anime. Doesn't lose points for terrible controls because its on Wii and because it "takes time to master".

Whos the better basketball player?

The 5th grader who scores 50 points per game against other 5th graders. Or the basketball legend who scores 47 points per game against other NBA players.

According to certain reviewers, the 5th greater is the better player. You might as well release a game for the Odyssey 200 with color and win the best graphics award.
---
According to Bahamut APs, Boswer Elkei and Jasten, running straight towards a crazed gun man rather than away from him is a better way of not getting shot.
#9MasterAshKetchemPosted 11/18/2011 1:46:30 PM
Graphics aren't just about polygon count, bloom, post processing and 1080p. Those things definitely help contribute, but there's more to it than that.
---
95% of all Zelda players are afraid of wallmasters. The other 5% are lying.
SS FC: 4855 9038 1698 ACCF FC: 0989-5874-7825 James @ Funky
#10tbhpPosted 11/18/2011 1:48:29 PM
Crysis 2's graphics just have more resolution. Which graphics look better is a matter of opinion. Crysis 2 is very realistic, it looks almost like the real world, and that's why many people prefer something more "kiddy" as you say, and more artisitic. Skyim is criticized for the unnatural characters because it is aimed to be a realistic game, so characters must feel like in real life. Then, no voice acting is better than bad voice acting, hence the ratings.