How would you feel if Link was played as more of a Lone Wanderer type?

#1IwantedzeroPosted 3/12/2012 8:02:53 PM
Less of "That goofy kid who became a hero" and more "That mysterious stranger who came out of nowhere and became a hero"?

I mean, it can be argued that the idea of him starting off as a sort of every day kid is central to his character, but I think it'd be interesting if they had Link already be an experienced swordsman, and already fighting the evil/Ganondorf, only to later realize that he was the hero of legend.

I'm not totally sure it'd be good, but I definitely think it'd be interesting...
---
Trust me, I'm a random stranger on the internet.
Live long, be happy, and try to ensure those around you do as well.
#2SkyCrackersPosted 3/12/2012 8:05:21 PM
Sounds even more boring.
---
Mario vs. Donkey Kong is a hideously underrated game.
#3Super_Shadow323Posted 3/12/2012 8:10:29 PM
You mean like the Link from LoZ/AoL?
---
This sig looks like a homing shot! Be careful!
#4Goshner2Posted 3/12/2012 8:31:10 PM
This is how I think they should do the Hero of Men story (or whatever you want to call him).

Their explanation for why there is a "Link" prior to SS could be that Hylia based Link in SS on the Hero of Men. They imply early on in SS that this ancient hero had interactions with Hylia when they say that the Goddess gave him a sail cloth in the legends.
---
Deceased Prince of Popcorn of the Skyward Sword Board
"not" -PureSexiness
#5Iwantedzero(Topic Creator)Posted 3/12/2012 10:11:37 PM

Sounds even more boring.

It could be if done poorly. Done well it could be pretty neat.

You mean like the Link from LoZ/AoL?

That's what I was thinking, yes. I mean, Link is supposed to be an Avatar for the player, and to me it seems more relatable when you have a guy who just shows up from god only knows where and what and gets involved in a story.

This is how I think they should do the Hero of Men story (or whatever you want to call him).

Their explanation for why there is a "Link" prior to SS could be that Hylia based Link in SS on the Hero of Men. They imply early on in SS that this ancient hero had interactions with Hylia when they say that the Goddess gave him a sail cloth in the legends.

Yeah, that'd be neat.
---
Trust me, I'm a random stranger on the internet.
Live long, be happy, and try to ensure those around you do as well.
#6ShabugabugabugaPosted 3/12/2012 10:41:03 PM
Goshner2 posted...

Something like this is already true, given that the reason the Red Loftwing is special is that it is somehow connected to a previous champion of the Goddess (or something like that), so it really could make an interesting game.

It could show the original making of the Goddess Sword (like we expected to actually be forging the Master Sword), as well as whatever it is that wrecked Lanayru and battles with each of the Demon Lords. It would also be a nice place to have an older Link (as in at least 25).
---
mmm
tasty tuna
#7DanspurtPosted 3/13/2012 12:45:47 AM
I think a thing they've been going for lately is that the player follows the progress of Link.

A Donald Duck comic writer (and artist) named Don Rosa mentioned once that he always starts off his stories in normal situations, to really get the reader into the world. Then the ducks discover something, and they're off to a grand adventure. The reader is experiencing the same thing as the ducks in the same order, and thus gets more involved in the story.

There are of course different ways to tackle this, a common (and a bit cliche) concept is that the main character has a bad case of amnesia, so even though the story takes off in the middle of nowhere the player is just as inexperienced with the world as the character is.

Stories don't have to follow this, but my guess is that it's what Nintendo have been going for.
---
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never really know how accurate they actually are" - Abraham Lincoln
#8Gaawa_chanPosted 3/13/2012 1:26:11 AM
Oddly enough, Majora's Mask gives me that vibe. To the people of Termina, he just came out of nowhere, solved (almost) all their problems, and then vanished from their lives with a nod.
---
Do your part to protect internet freedom. Voice your opposition to SOPA, PIPA, and OPEN.
#9ImGanondorfLolPosted 3/13/2012 2:01:31 AM
Majora's Mask gave me that vibe even though he came from Oot.
#10Goshner2Posted 3/13/2012 3:15:29 PM
It could show the original making of the Goddess Sword (like we expected to actually be forging the Master Sword), as well as whatever it is that wrecked Lanayru and battles with each of the Demon Lords. It would also be a nice place to have an older Link (as in at least 25).

Yes to showing the making of the Goddess sword and an older Link (for some reason, I always picture the Hero of Men with a mustache), but no to it being about the battles with the Demons.

Two reasons as to why. First, that would make the game feel like sort of a failure since you know the ultimate result will be everyone running away and just sealing him away until later. Also, I'm not even sure if any Hylians were left on the surface after they were sent to the sky.

Does it actually say that the Goddess Sword was created to fight Demise? If not, they could have a game about it being created for a totally different reason. It could also be about the Hero of Men (coincidentally named Link) getting help from Hylia to battle some other evil. It could also explain the buildings that already existed prior to SS.
---
Deceased Prince of Popcorn of the Skyward Sword Board
"not" -PureSexiness