The legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword SUCKS!

#1This_Posted 4/2/2012 3:51:25 AM
No i'm not trolling, just ranting. Sure, it had amazing graphics and excellent gameplay, and maybe that's all that's needed for most people. It also had alot of very good yet very, very poorly (as a matter of fact dreadfully) executed concepts. In fact, that's precicely the problem!

When I said the characters were shallow, I meant that they are shallow. There is not even a half-decent character in this entire game, the best one being apparently Groose.

In Ocarina of Time, Link was a child who was raised by the Kokiri. He thought he himself was a Kokiri until he later discovered that he was actually a Hylian when he grew up after drawing the master sword. This Link is carried over to Majora's Mask.

In this game, Link is just a guy who wants to be a knight.

Don't even get e started on the part when Link was told "you look like you were born to wear that outfit" when Link recieved his knight outfit.

Fi's character was also dreadful, from the time she was revealed to be a TOOL created by the goddess to assist the chosen hero, Link, to the moment they tried to create a tear-jerking moment where Fi's consciousness was fading away and she pretended to be anything but a shallow, emotionless character that could actually feel anything. Her character quirks consist of her "percentage" jokes and her ballet dancing. That's it. The scene where Fi's consciousness faded away was a poor and very much forced attempt to draw emotions from the player. Tatl and especially Midna mop ther floor with this poor excuse for a character design. Even Navi wasn't so shallow that she had absolutely no character through and throughout the entire game, and if you think otherwise I suggest playing or watching the game again as you have clearly forgotten how great OOT really was. Navi certainly didn't RUIN the master sword like Fi did.

Groose was probably the only character in the game with any character development whatsoever. Even then, Groose is just the unexpectedly yet stereotypical tsundere that started off as a bully and ended up helping Link save the world from the single most poorly designed final boss in the 3d zelda game series. Which brings us to...

Demise. Just a random spawn from the darkness of the underworld. Yipee~
Hell, Gannon is apparently supposed to be an "incarnation of it's hatred." or something.

As for the master sword, it was completely butchered by this game. It used to have an air of mystery about it, and it is used in almost every Zelda game. If it had to have a backstory, I really wish it wasn't one like the one in this zelda game.

All in all, Ghirahim and Groose were the only noteworthy characters in the entire game. The story was shallow and boring. The newly and unimproved impa casting dark glares at Link for not coming to Zelda fast enough after defeating hordes of monsters and solving puzzles was laughable.

What I HATE about this game is that if you choose to consider this game to be cannon, then the master sword and gannon have been ruined by it. This game is just hype, graphics,and gameplay. It would have been better off with no story whatsoever, yet it all would have been fine had this not been a prequel to the other Zelda games.

Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, AND Twilight princess, were all amazing games that will stand the test of time. Skyward sword is "just a part of the series" that will only survive in memory because of the existance of the other far superior games. Watch or play the other 3 games, then compaire it with this sad excuse for a Zelda game.

I didn't mind that this game didn't meet my expectations, but it didn't need to drag the other games down with it by being a prequel.
#2This_(Topic Creator)Posted 4/2/2012 3:54:07 AM
Don't get me started on Demises incomplete form.
#3masa8munePosted 4/2/2012 4:41:18 AM
Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, AND Twilight princess

....>.> u forgot one.

anyway..i dont fully agree with you but you have some points.
---
rumors about bleach getting cancelled.
hope its just a rumor....
#4z0mgthiefbeefPosted 4/2/2012 4:51:08 AM
Amazing graphics?
Have you ever played a PS3/360/PC game?
This game honestly far surpassed my expectations but then again I wasn't really expecting much.
---
Currently playing- Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Radiant Historia
WW=SS>aLttP>OoT>ST>MM>LoZ>TP>PH>Zelda II
#5Zion426Posted 4/2/2012 7:43:57 AM
Eh. I agree with you in some places, disagree in others.

But I really don't think this game drags the rest of the series down, as you claim. I actually had a lot of fun with it and enjoyed the story for the most part.
---
"As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."
-Vaarsuvius
#6CycknessPosted 4/2/2012 7:58:21 AM
Be prepared to be scorned by overly-defensive SS fanboys. You have interrupted their happy time. ^_^

Anyway, you give the gameplay far too much credit when you say it was excellent. Sword-fighting was terrific but generally I found much of the gameplay pretty.... bland?

Puzzles play out more like action set-pieces than actual puzzles, overworld set-up gives the entire game a very episodic feel as though Link is clearing missions and not on a flowing adventure, busy-work abounds....

I originally gave this game like a 9/10 in my review (which you can find on this site) but that was way too high. The more I think about it the lower the score drops in my mind.
---
PSN: FuriousGeorge3
"The ice man cometh, Sander Baby... The ice man ******* cometh"
#7Zion426Posted 4/2/2012 8:10:02 AM
Cyckness posted...
Be prepared to be scorned by overly-defensive SS fanboys. You have interrupted their happy time. ^_^

I'm honestly quite surprised this topic hasn't already descended into chaos.
---
"As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."
-Vaarsuvius
#8Zero_ManiacPosted 4/2/2012 8:16:15 AM
Zion426 posted...
Cyckness posted...

I'm honestly quite surprised this topic hasn't already descended into chaos.

Same.

But I agree TC. I even enjoy the first LoZ more than this.
---
"I've got it. KMA IS the coin!!" -anonymous
Official Riku of the Kingdom Hearts 3D board
#9TUnit10Posted 4/2/2012 8:24:37 AM
This_ posted...
Sure, it had amazing graphics and excellent gameplay, and maybe that's all that's needed for most people.

Forget the part about the graphics and you can count me as one of those guys.

Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, AND Twilight princess, were all amazing games that will stand the test of time.

So why exactly does Twilight Princess stand the test of time? Just because of the story?

Zelda games are, for the most part, meant to be considered stand alone games. You really don't need to play any of the other games to appreciate any given Zelda game. Sure, the story is there in an attempt to add to the experience...but the story is not meant to be the main draw of the game.

If story means that much to you, you might want to consider branching out and playing some different games. May I suggest RPG's? Oh, and if you see a mario game, you had better run.
#10MetalKirbyPlushPosted 4/2/2012 8:55:55 AM
Wait, you hate this game just because of the story?

Are you crazy?
---
Samus ruined Metroid forever. She keeps killing them. ~CTsChoco