Left-handedness point

#1avengahPosted 4/26/2012 10:22:53 AM
I don't know whether this has been brought up before, but anyway, firstly, I'm fairly unbiased because although I write with my left hand, I use the Wiimote in my right if the Nunchuk is being used.

So a lot of things in the world are more righty friendly, and lefties have had to adapt for a long time. Wouldn't it be interesting if Nintendo said, "Link is left-handed and that's final. Righties will have to adapt."

You see, righties would have no right to complain because of my first point; why shouldn't THEY have to adapt for a change, instead of forcing lefties to adapt 100% of the time? Just a thought, but interesting nonetheless. I wonder what Nintendo would say if someone brought that up?
---
My Pre-Hooktail Pit Run of Paper Mario: TTYD without Mega Rush P!
Playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5045EE00B4B9581F
#2LegendofLink17Posted 4/26/2012 10:48:22 AM
But 90% of people are righties, and it's all about pleasing the majority
---
Mentsch tracht, Gott lacht.
#3imagine606Posted 4/26/2012 11:00:51 AM
^ Exactly right
#4avengah(Topic Creator)Posted 4/26/2012 12:22:57 PM(edited)
While that is true, how about this? Righties hardly ever have to adapt for anything, so making them adapt ONCE isn't going to kill them.

Or maybe, since they've never had to do it, they *shock* wouldn't be able to cope!

The fact is, 90% is far from 100%, and most of the world favours righties. One exception couldn't possibly hurt. To be fair, maybe 90% of things should be righty-friendly, but not 100% of things, 100% of the time, surely! I'm not just talking about games; think about tools, instruments etc.
---
#5LegendofLink17Posted 4/26/2012 1:25:30 PM
How does 100% of things favor righties? I can name multiple instances where lefties can be at an advantage or are at least equal
---
Mentsch tracht, Gott lacht.
#6PerascaminPosted 4/26/2012 2:18:51 PM
This topic really didn't need to be made. It's all complaining, if you feel entitled as a leftie, sorry. This is about the majority, and the majority is right-handed.
---
My sig is the sig that will be legendary!
#7LegendofLegaiaPosted 4/26/2012 5:17:39 PM
There doesn't seem like much of a reason for Nintendo not to have just mirrored the world and given the option to play as either a righty or lefty.
---
AC Cloud: If I win, are my sins forgiven?
FFVII Cloud: Not you again.
#8dark trunksPosted 4/26/2012 5:39:34 PM
LegendofLegaia posted...
There doesn't seem like much of a reason for Nintendo not to have just mirrored the world and given the option to play as either a righty or lefty.

Why mirror the world?

Why not have just given the option to play left or right handed? There's no need to mirror the world when they could have just included an option.
---
"If you've got yourself a dream, work hard, believe in yourself because I know dreams can come true."- Dennis DeYoung 1997
#9avengah(Topic Creator)Posted 4/26/2012 5:44:33 PM(edited)
Perascamin posted...
This topic really didn't need to be made. It's all complaining, if you feel entitled as a leftie, sorry. This is about the majority, and the majority is right-handed.

You missed the point. I have no problem and I'm unbiased; I hold the remote in my right hand when using the Nunchuk. It was just a thought, and feeling entitled has nothing to do with it. It was more because Link has always been left-handed.

Common misconception time. Why was Link made right-handed in the Wii games?

If your answer is "because most people are right-handed", then you are wrong.

The correct answer is "because most people hold the Wii Remote & Nunchuk combo in right/left hands". Some people may think this is only a subtle difference, but it is actually a big difference because it pushes the percentage up considerably; from 90% to probably 95-98%.

On Youtube, someone shows a reply from Nintendo about why there's no left-handed mode in SS. It says that game consoles have always had the movement controlled by the left hand, so SS is no different. Even a NES joypad has the movement on the left - the right hand only has to press a couple of buttons, so it seems a NES pad (and, by extension, a SNES / N64 etc. pad) favours lefties!
---
#10LegendofLegaiaPosted 4/26/2012 5:44:45 PM
dark trunks posted...
Why mirror the world?

Why not have just given the option to play left or right handed? There's no need to mirror the world when they could have just included an option.

Because Nintendo seems to currently have a mirror fetish at the moment, so they might as well do something useful with it, right?
---
AC Cloud: If I win, are my sins forgiven?
FFVII Cloud: Not you again.