Can't get through Skyward Sword...

#1Link_AJPosted 4/30/2012 7:17:08 AM
As much as I love Zelda, I just can't get through it. The pacing is so slow and everything gets overexplained, it's like this game was made for mentally challenged people. I'm just finished with the 3rd dungeon, and I've already put almost 15 hours in it. I don't even really like all the items so far...
I really hope they make the next Zelda more "hardcore", for whatever that means.

If the game had an option for the gamecube controller, less explaining what to do and a companion that isnt a TomTom portable GPS navigation system, the game would be so much better. I'm actually missing Navi.

Also, what's the point in having multiple answer choices in dialogues when they all do the same thing?
#2Aegis_RunestonePosted 4/30/2012 7:25:48 AM
I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it.

The point of dialogue options for humor's sake. But there is a character who will react differently for the rest of the game depending on the dialogue options you select when talking to them.
---
"I hate these awkward moments..." - Ezio Auditore, taunting an enemy.
"How can I regret the only life I've known?" - Altair Ibn-La'Ahad
#3Mufufu_MasterPosted 4/30/2012 7:26:44 AM
it's like this game was made for mentally challenged people.

Or, y'know, children, the target audience.
---
||Call me Mufufu.|| Add me on Steam!
Currently stalking: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/user.php?board
#4Link_AJ(Topic Creator)Posted 4/30/2012 7:27:56 AM
They didn't overexplain stuff in Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask...
#5Aegis_RunestonePosted 4/30/2012 7:29:38 AM
I dunno, I'm playing TP right now, and Midna states the obvious every time I save a monkey in the Forest Temple. *shrug*
---
"I hate these awkward moments..." - Ezio Auditore, taunting an enemy.
"How can I regret the only life I've known?" - Altair Ibn-La'Ahad
#6zinformantPosted 4/30/2012 8:24:14 AM
Link_AJ posted...
As much as I love Zelda, I just can't get through it.
I don't blame you there. Zelda games overall have pacing issues that, for whatever reason, the fans can overlook.

Link_AJ posted...
and everything gets overexplained, it's like this game was made for mentally challenged people.
I'm sorry, but this is where games in general are headed. Be prepared for extended tutorials and the like. You know what? I have some excellent PC games (some now on GOG) that had manuals the size of a strategy guide aside others that had 2pg long manuals with just minimum system requirements throwing you into a world with no information. These approaches are dying because the latter is seen as primitive whereas the former is falling out for cost cutting and the move into the "digital age". Most folks tend *not* to read the manuals and then rely on in-game tutorials and explanations. There was a neat function in one game mentioned only in the manual that only the most serious fans knew about. That's just how it is.
You could additionally argue that not explicitly mentioning and explaining everything in-game yields an incomplete product.
Also, remember the game's rating and that children need more reinforcement than you.

Link_AJ posted...
I'm just finished with the 3rd dungeon, and I've already put almost 15 hours in it.
Your point is?

Link_AJ posted...
I don't even really like all the items so far...
Okay? I do. There, we got nowhere with this.

Link_AJ posted...
I really hope they make the next Zelda more "hardcore", for whatever that means.
It means nothing unless you explain it.

Link_AJ posted...
If the game had an option for the gamecube controller
The game was built around the motion controls. Stop whining. I'd prefer that, too, but you can't live in the past. Well, you can; you just will not be playing new releases, which is fine in its own right.

Link_AJ posted...
less explaining what to do
You're making a false dilemma out of this. Fi's hints are optional.

Link_AJ posted...
I'm actually missing Navi.
Nostalgia.

Link_AJ posted...
Also, what's the point in having multiple answer choices in dialogues when they all do the same thing?
Perceived choice? Immersion? Faux-dialogue trees? I don't see how this can possibly be a negative.
---
You could write a book, call it "Unidentified Loving Object". It'd sell millions.
#7StarWolfMcCloudPosted 4/30/2012 8:50:30 AM
Link_AJ posted...
They didn't overexplain stuff in Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask...

Standards are lower nowadays.
---
Sorry to jet, but I'm in a hurry. *Wink*
Number of "Wins" I've received: 24
#8arjames13Posted 4/30/2012 9:28:11 AM
I agree with you somewhat. I don't care for the emotionless Fi and much of the world feels bland. Also at the third dungeon, just doesn't have all the zelda magic I remember. Still it is a good game those things aside.
#9SolidKnightPosted 4/30/2012 10:42:45 AM
I like From Software's attitude: "RTFM".
#10DragoonGriffithPosted 4/30/2012 11:27:13 AM
I like the game really a lot, but I could have lived without the constant interrupting from Fi.

She gets on my nerves.

Everything else is pretty good. I have no problems with the motion controles, the dungeons are nicely designed, pacing isn't a issue to me personally, and the challenge is just right (way better challenge than TP, which was toooooo easy).