How can the controls work for most people but not others?

#1MillionGunmannnPosted 5/22/2012 4:54:12 PM
Every review that has came out has praised the motion controls and claim that they are the best on the Wii. Alot of people that I know from various sites have also said positive things about the controls. During my experience with the game I had no problem with the controls. Why are the controls not working for the %5 that complain? If everyone is playing the same game,using the same controls why does it work differently other than user error? I'm guessing most people's complaints about the controls are user error and they just think its the controls themselves.

1st Dungeon Spoils

Take this video for an example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaW2tvYoFxk
The guy doesn't even know the answer to the puzzle yet he blames the game,Nintendo,and motion controls in general when he clearly is trying to do the puzzle incorrectly. Even going as far as to throw his controller across the room in rage. His swordplay even shows that he is not used to the controls because he doesn't even know how the shield controls work. He doesn't even try to recalibrate the controller in the case that it did recalibrate due to another IR source.

So how can the controls work perfectly for a majority of people yet not work at all for that %5?

I'll leave this video here as well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_aGjL1bwN0 <= Items/Area Spoilers
---
CoS P2
#2scigeek101Posted 5/22/2012 5:02:27 PM
MillionGunmannn posted...

So how can the controls work perfectly for a majority of people yet not work at all for that %5?

They play the game for 1 minute, don't get the controls right away, and say it sucks.
---
If you want a friend in Washington, get a dog.
Harry Truman.
#3The_BonesPosted 5/22/2012 5:06:02 PM
The controls worked fine for the most part for me but weren't perfect for everything. Thrusting could sometimes be a problem as could holding the sword up to do a skyward strike at times. I didn't like the swimming controls at all and felt they would have been better if you moved with the analog stick instead.
#4LinkSSJ6Posted 5/22/2012 5:11:52 PM
They get the game already with the 'motion gaming sucks' mindset. At the first difficulty they get even more frustrated because they won't open their blockheads.
---
Youtube links will be ignored.
Learn to post like a rational being. Thanks.
#5SilfalasPosted 5/22/2012 6:20:10 PM(edited)
From my experience, there were games that at first I didn't understand how they were supposed to work. But instead of throwing it away I forced myself to learn, to try, to experience and to understand the rythm, logic and spirit of the game instead of comparing it to others. That's how I discovered amazing games I wouldn't have if I had just gotten angry.
Same with controls. Thanks to my patience I have mastered and loved most games people frequently label as horrid with impossible controls and gameplay. Coincidence?
I'm the kind of gamer that can spend 1 hour trying moves and control tricks before actually getting into the main game.
#6AutumnQueenPosted 5/22/2012 7:28:03 PM
I also suspect that some of it may be how people have their Wii's and tvs set up. Perhaps because of the layout of the room the tvs and Wiis are in, they may not be set up in the best way for sensor detection.
#7SolidKnightPosted 5/22/2012 7:35:27 PM
They don't return the wiimote to the neutral position after every action and/or they waggle the wiimote which "confuses" the sensors and it ends up thinking it's in a different position.
#8VentanrexPosted 5/22/2012 7:41:14 PM
Silfalas posted...
From my experience, there were games that at first I didn't understand how they were supposed to work. But instead of throwing it away I forced myself to learn, to try, to experience and to understand the rythm, logic and spirit of the game instead of comparing it to others. That's how I discovered amazing games I wouldn't have if I had just gotten angry.
Same with controls. Thanks to my patience I have mastered and loved most games people frequently label as horrid with impossible controls and gameplay. Coincidence?
I'm the kind of gamer that can spend 1 hour trying moves and control tricks before actually getting into the main game.

Silfalas respect +1
---
A person is a person, no matter how small. -Horton
Still a Safe Haven Knight.
#9LegendofLegaiaPosted 5/22/2012 8:42:05 PM(edited)
I don't know if this is true, but I heard that playing next to a lamp that's turned on can **** with the controls.
---
AC Cloud: If I win, are my sins forgiven?
FFVII Cloud: Not you again.
#10MillionGunmannn(Topic Creator)Posted 5/22/2012 8:59:36 PM
LegendofLegaia posted...
I don't know if this is true, but I heard that playing next to a lamp that's turned on can **** with the controls.

Yes the WiiMote uses any IR point and sets it as where the TV is. There is an NPC in the game that tells you to do a few upward swings on your controller if they aren't responding so it can re-calibrate the center point . If you even notice Link is holding his sword far off to the right or left then its you should just turn off any other IR sources. Also rapidly waggling can also screw mess up the calibration but a few upward swings should fix it.
---
CoS P2