C/D: People who deny the Zelda cycle...

#11AlexPumaPosted 5/28/2012 9:12:00 PM
C

Its a phenomenon I've noticed since the release of Twilight Princess. Though it really isn't a "Zelda Cycle" as much as a video game wide phenomenon. Just sticking with Nintendo franchises, I've noticed that Metroid Prime 2: Echoes was suddenly getting huge praise shortly after Corruption came out, when before it was not that well liked. Ditto with Corruption when Other M came out. When Mario Galaxy came out, there were people who were claiming how much greater Mario Sunshine was, and they weren't trolling. And it occasionally happens with older games. In about 2008-2010, it was suddenly cool to like Zelda 2, then it became uncool again and it was cool to like Majora's Mask instead, and even now it is starting to fall out of favor. My guess once that one cools off completely, the Oracles games will get the same treatment.

I put the blame squarely on Nostalgia.
---
http://www.gaming-unleashed.com/
"Oh I can handle any load that comes my way....." - Savott
#12Sylar100Posted 5/28/2012 10:06:35 PM
AlexPuma posted...
C

Its a phenomenon I've noticed since the release of Twilight Princess. Though it really isn't a "Zelda Cycle" as much as a video game wide phenomenon. Just sticking with Nintendo franchises, I've noticed that Metroid Prime 2: Echoes was suddenly getting huge praise shortly after Corruption came out, when before it was not that well liked. Ditto with Corruption when Other M came out. When Mario Galaxy came out, there were people who were claiming how much greater Mario Sunshine was, and they weren't trolling. And it occasionally happens with older games. In about 2008-2010, it was suddenly cool to like Zelda 2, then it became uncool again and it was cool to like Majora's Mask instead, and even now it is starting to fall out of favor. My guess once that one cools off completely, the Oracles games will get the same treatment.

I put the blame squarely on Nostalgia.

Thats because Other M is crap
#13friendlydudePosted 5/29/2012 1:07:13 AM
I feel that the difference between Metroid and Zelda is that Other M is sort of a whipping boy for that franchise, whereas Zelda still doesn't have one yet (no, the Adventure of Link doesn't count- that game's awesome).
#14friendlydudePosted 5/29/2012 1:08:23 AM
Oh, and it's true that Zelda II did go through a cool phase a few years ago. Suddenly everyone was praising it. I have no idea what brought on the sudden fondness for the game, but it was pretty strong for a couple years.
#15AlexPumaPosted 5/29/2012 3:14:20 AM(edited)
Sylar100 posted...

Thats because Other M is crap

True that Other M is one of those games that haunt my nightmares to this day with how bad it ended up being, but Corruption was often thought of the weakest of the Primes until it came out. Who even remembers Admiral Dane? I sure didn't remember anybody talking about how awesome he was until the comparisons with him and Adam came up.

friendlydude posted...
Oh, and it's true that Zelda II did go through a cool phase a few years ago. Suddenly everyone was praising it. I have no idea what brought on the sudden fondness for the game, but it was pretty strong for a couple years.

My best guess is the "Gannon Banned" website claiming that Zelda II was the best Zelda game ever. I personally think its the worst console Zelda because its filled with fake difficulty and level grinding, two unforgivable sins in my eyes, yet because of that site, I wasn't allowed to have this opinion.
---
http://www.gaming-unleashed.com/
"Oh I can handle any load that comes my way....." - Savott
#16ShabugabugabugaPosted 5/29/2012 4:24:13 AM
It's present for alot of vocal people, but D overall.

No matter what turns the Zelda cycle takes, nothing is ever going to dethrone OoT from its place as the best Zelda of all time.

I can only hope some other series kicks it out instead.
---
--Official Isa and Saix of the Kingdom Hearts DDD Board--
#17zinformantPosted 5/29/2012 4:58:59 AM
D

I stand by what I wrote somewhere yesterday, that Zelda fans are arrogant with their "Zelda cycle".
---
I never cared abot justice, and I don't recall ever calling myself a hero...if an enemy appears in front of me, I will destroy it!
#18DarkChozoGhostPosted 5/29/2012 7:05:20 AM
sumostickfigure posted...
D. What's obvious is that those who believe there is a Zelda cycle make the erroneous assumption that it's the same group of people who hate a game when it first comes out that will eventually come to like it when the next game comes out.

No they don't. The only people that make that assumption are people that don't understand what the Zelda cycle is.
---
And then all the dominoes will fall into place like a house of cards. Checkmate.
#19FennyarielPosted 5/29/2012 7:58:05 AM
Could somebody please tell me what C/D is?!
---
(|+|O_O)>[]xxxxxxx[]::::::::::::::::>
I am a girl who just so happens to love games just as much as some of you boys do! ;v)
#20KOFXIIIPosted 5/29/2012 9:08:58 AM
Fennyariel posted...
Could somebody please tell me what C/D is?!

concur/deny