This series has become very stale...

#481krazyninjaman3(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2012 5:52:18 AM
@ Muljo Stpho

Now that we have an official timeline; i think it would be kinda cool if they released an official atlas of Hyrule, detailing where all the games take place with all the towns and castles of all the games in relation to each other (and former towns and castles that would no longer be there).

I read your post and again found it very insightful. I do not have enough knowledge on this matter to comment on it; but definately appreciate the amount of thought you put into it. Of course the entire idea of connecting all the games maps into one is purely speculation no matter how accurate this theory is; but its that speculation that makes the idea of it more fun.
---
When ghosts go camping, they tell each other Chuck Norris stories.
#482Zion426Posted 8/6/2012 10:39:47 AM
The geography of Hyrule really does fascinate me. I love seeing the series as one connected story and thinking about how where Link is in game A might be the same place he was however many hundreds of years ago in game B.
---
"Paper Waluigi is pickles durr. (Descent into fanboy rage, arguments, and poor grammar)"
-GameFAQs writes Nintendo a letter, one word at a time.
#483krazyninjaman3(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2012 12:12:40 PM
I just wanted to use this oppertunity to thank everyone for staying on topic this entire time, and to revert from getting into flamewars and trolling. I have created many 500 topics in the past, and a lot of the time there are many moderations and flames. I'm proud to say that there was only one moderation this entire time, and it was me that was moderated (oops).

Anyways, there is a lot of good information here, and I am hoping that you people join me in requesting that this topic be made into a sticky. Thanks to all those that show support LOL (lots of love - not laugh out loud. LoL originaly meant 'lots of love' not 'laugh out loud" btw).
---
#484NeoFalconHavokPosted 8/6/2012 12:25:51 PM
No, this game is just terrible. As well as Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks.

I don't think the series is the problem. It's Eiji Aonuma who is.

Aonuma despises "Real" Zelda and has done everything possible to remove the things we love about it.

Aonuma who says how he hates the NES Zelda games and thought they were stupid. He also saw the only value in Link to the Past was the storytelling, cutting grass, and looking under rocks.

Aonuma is highly dependent on novelty, gimmicks, graphical flourishes, and themes, but not on the Universe.

Before Aonuma, Zelda games revolved around Link, around the player… now it feels you’re an errand boy because the game automatically tells you were to go and what you need to do.

You must be familiar with these tropes:

1. When you see a crystal, shoot a bow at it.
2. When you see an enemy with a shield, shield bash it, or sidestep around
it.
3. When you see a torch, light it with a lantern.
4. When you see a crack in the wall (this one is the worst), bomb it.

I could go on and on. Aonuma Zelda is not about puzzles which exercise the
mind. It’s way worse. It’s about being a computer.

Skyward Bore barely fits the definition of a “game”, but rather than you being a witness to the "AMAZING CREATIVITY" of Aonuma and his team of crack pot developers who say "want to see more of my creativity? Jump in the water and fetch some music for another dull and boring song.

If Aonuma's Zelda titles were actually strong games, why all the gimmicks? Why all the bad NPC characters? I don’t think Aonuma Zelda can stand, alone, on its gameplay skeleton. These ‘puzzle rooms’ are nothing but the player computing from room to room. There is no game here. It is why the game needs all these distractions, all these novelties.

Why does Aonuma not bother trying to make a Zelda game that isn't crap?

Eiji Aonuma never much cared for the games that kicked off the whole series. A quote from an interview.

"I almost feel like there’s still no game more difficult than it. Every time I try to play it I end up getting 'Game Over' a few too many times and giving up partway through. Certainly after playing the original Zelda for the first time, I didn’t ever think that I wanted to make a game like that."

See, we can't get actual zelda games because they're "too hard". Which is ironic considering if you gave a little kid a copy of OOT, they'd probably end up like Aonuma and making more crappy Zelda games.

Some key quotes from Aonooba himself.

"My first encounter with Zelda occurred in 1988 shortly after I joined Nintendo. After studying design in college, I began work designing pixel characters. At the time, I didn’t have much experience playing games, and I was particularly bad at playing games that required quick reflexes. So, immediately after I started playing the original Zelda, I failed to read the movements of the Octorock in the field and my game suddenly game to an end. Even after getting used to the controls, each time the screen rolled to a new area new Octorock appeared and I thought ‘am I going to have to fight these things forever?’ Eventually, I gave up getting any further in the game."

wut

"the result was that I was under the impression that the Legend of Zelda was not a game that suited me. So what kind of games did suit me? Those would be text-based adventures. For someone like me who enjoyed reading stories, these were games that allowed you to participate in the story and letting you experience the joy of seeing your own thoughts and actions affect the progression of the story. Plus, these games don’t require fast reflexes and don’t require traditional gaming skills. So, I thought that if I were going to make games, I would like to make this type of game."

Stale isn't the word you're looking for. Absolute trash is more like it.
#485KeryAdamsPosted 8/6/2012 12:50:13 PM
This NeoFalcon guy wins.
---
GT/PSN: Owngineer
Currently playing: Rocksmith, Castlevania SOTN, Metroid (NES)
#486krazyninjaman3(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2012 1:05:32 PM
@...NeoFalconHavok

I couldnt agree with you more. A little late to contribute, but better late then never; and boy am i glad you came along. I was not aware that it was this one developer that was specifically behind all that is wrong with Zelda today.
---
#487NeoFalconHavokPosted 8/6/2012 3:04:15 PM
Don't thank me just yet. A lot of that just mirrored my thoughts. It was actually Sean Malstrom who said most of it, I hit the dang reply button forgetting to credit him on it.

Speaking of which...

https://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/2011/07/14/aonuma-should-never-have-been-hired-by-nintendo/

No, srsly, read that whole page. Then you will understand that as long as this moron is making Zelda, you had better find that missing link to the past.
#488KingBeetlePosted 8/6/2012 5:15:54 PM
I can't believe this pointless-troll-filled-idiotic topic is still going on.
---
Kony 2012
www.youtube.com/godunman
#489krazyninjaman3(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2012 5:29:33 PM
I just read that entire article. Very interesting read, and all Zelda fans should read it. I totaly agree with everything in that article.

Here is a quote from the end of that article that caught my attention,

There is nothing ‘fresh’ about Modern Zelda. It stinks in its staleness.

Then i remembered the title of this topic i created. See? im not the only one.

KingBeetle posted...

So i guess you wont be requesting this topic to be stickied i take it? That's too bad, there is a lot of good stuff in here.
---
#490Zion426Posted 8/6/2012 5:57:13 PM
Sure, this topic has a few decent thoughts here and there.

But they are completely overshadowed by stuff like this...

krazyninjaman3 posted...
This is exactly what's wrong with this board. I'm very close to giving up. It seems at near 450 posts; we've gotten absolutely no where.

I'm looking at all the spelling and grammer mistakes of the last poster, their sig, the spelling mistakes in the sig... How old is everyone here? 13?!

It feels like I have seriously been arguing with children this entire time. Any other board for any other series would be on my side about this in a heart beat! Am I taking weirdo pills or something?

I don't know why I even bother.

And this...

krazyninjaman3 posted...
So, i guess i won this topic huh. Anyways, im really glad i got some great ideas out there, hopefully the devs of future Zelda games may be inspired by this very topic - who knows? right?

Also, id like to apologize to anyone that i made look stupid by beating them in an argument here. Don't worry its for the best!; the future Zelda games thanks you for your participation here!

And to be fair, several people like this who have nothing to add but accusations...

KingBeetle posted...

...So, no. Sorry. No sticky from me.
---
"Paper Waluigi is pickles durr. (Descent into fanboy rage, arguments, and poor grammar)"
-GameFAQs writes Nintendo a letter, one word at a time.