This is a poor game and I'll tell you why. (spoilers)

#1PappinAcePosted 11/25/2012 11:36:23 AM
1.) The overworld is very bad. Exploration should be a number one priority in Zelda, and there is simply nothing to discover. You fly around in a great big sky with nothing in it other than a few knick-knacks on mini-islands. There is literally ONE village. There is a pumpkin and bamboo island that feel like something out of the first stage of development, and was just abandoned and the creators said "screw it, just release it like that".

On top of that, you can't even explore the overworld at night! TIME DOES NOT PASS. It is a Zelda staple when you're flying/sailing/riding around and you see the sun come up and hear the rooster and the gradual change of music and atmosphere. How the hell could they leave this out?

2.) Poor story. This was supposed to be the origin story and it accomplished nearly nothing in that regard. We were shown where the master sword originated and how it got to the Temple of Time: wait for it: Link's ancestor used it to kill bad guys and then he stuck it into a rock! What an original twist. I couldn't have figured this out on my own.

An origin story needs WAY more references. The locations had nothing in common with their future versions except names. Where are the Gerudo in Lanayru? The Kokiri in Faron? The Gorons in Eldin? Why is the Temple of Time in the desert but the master sword and the stone in the forest? That makes absolutely no sense.

Why the hell is everything in the sky and how does that get back to normal in the timeline of the future games? Why is Lanayru populated by high-tech robots in factories? Was that supposed to be a twist, that Zelda actually takes place in the distant future after humanity reverts back to a middle-ages style of life? Why are birds built up in the beginning of the game to be important companions and an essential part of Skyloft life, only to get forgotten about and crapped on? So much was left unexplained.
#2PappinAce(Topic Creator)Posted 11/25/2012 11:37:29 AM(edited)
3.) No difficulty. Zelda should require thought, yet the solution of every puzzle was spoon-fed to you by your annoying, personality-less companion. Even if you got a clue from an NPC that was relatively cryptic and took a few seconds of thought to figure out, there was Fi, telling you "There is a 90% chance he means you should go here, do this, this, and this."

4.) DISGUSTING aesthetic style. I cannot believe they made this ridiculous cel-shading + realism combo. This is a concrete result of Nintendo selling out; they used to make their own decisions and knew what's best for their games, now they're unsure of themselves and scared of fans. In order to try to placate all of them, they made this wishy-washy graphical style mixing both types, rather than have the balls to fully commit to one or the other. You can't be intimidated by macho brutes who didn't like WW's style because it was "childish". The devs know what's best for the game, not these idiots who don't understand the masterpiece.

Well, the game ended up looking like total ****. This mixture resulted in the game having absolutely no personality; nothing about the graphics stands out and there's nothing to remember this game by. I don't care so much about the aesthetics themselves, but the graphics have a huge effect on the atmosphere and what you can do with the characters (humor, motions, realism, etc.). Also, the game just doesn't feel like Zelda; there's no beautiful scenery. I challenge this board to name me one area in this game that's truly beautiful or atmospheric to look at. Something like the view from the top of Dragon Roost Island, or sunrise in Hyrule Field viewed from the castle gates.

I knew the game would suck the moment I saw the graphics in the first trailer and I was proven right. Nintendo has become just another average developer who makes average games. Gone are the days where we got masterpieces like Wind Waker and Metroid Prime. Now we get throw-away crap like Skyward Sword and Metroid: Other M. They've been taken over by capitalism; now the point is to develop the game as fast as possible so you can sell as fast and as much as possible, even if you release a clearly unfinished game.

But what's the point of life if we can't have beautiful things anymore?
#3GencoilPosted 11/25/2012 12:02:35 PM
Skyloft is a part of the surface world that was elevated to the skies to protect Hylia's people from Demise, did you miss that whole part of the story?
---
www.klustr.net || http://passid.ca/recoil || Xbox LIVE: Nitesoul || PSN: Gencoil
#4PappinAce(Topic Creator)Posted 11/25/2012 12:33:18 PM
Yet Demise was still awakened and planned to rule the entire world, Skyloft probably included. Considering he teleported to the sky for the final fight, he shouldn't have any trouble accessing Skyloft.

Regardless, in the end you defeat Demise and that should make the sky world obsolete; if there is nothing to hide from, does that mean the goddesses can now return all the sky islands to the surface? Or do two worlds exist: one in the sky, and the one populated by Zelda and Link on the surface that turns out to become Hylia?
#5LegendofLink17Posted 11/25/2012 1:16:40 PM
1) Overworld- do you not consider the 3 ground areas part of the Overworld? There's a ton of exploring down there. I've gone into this only 400 times on this board over the past year and don't feel like going into it again.

2) Story- I'll give you that, but... What Zelda game has a great story? This had more storytelling than most any Zelda game.

3)Difficulty- I agree, the game should have been harder.

4) Aesthetic Style- Completely subjective and I disagree. This is one of the best looking games on the Wii
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerGuides 1.10
#6LanzaDolorosaPosted 11/25/2012 1:30:21 PM
I hope Nintendo recovers from this epic fail of a game, but it's sadly unlikely
#7PappinAce(Topic Creator)Posted 11/25/2012 1:38:53 PM
LegendofLink17 posted...
1) Overworld- do you not consider the 3 ground areas part of the Overworld? There's a ton of exploring down there. I've gone into this only 400 times on this board over the past year and don't feel like going into it again.

2) Story- I'll give you that, but... What Zelda game has a great story? This had more storytelling than most any Zelda game.

3)Difficulty- I agree, the game should have been harder.

4) Aesthetic Style- Completely subjective and I disagree. This is one of the best looking games on the Wii

Of course the ground areas are a part of the game as well. I thought the desert was the only good one with decent music and a good atmosphere. The volcano and forest areas were totally uninspired and did nothing unique or cool. Which reminds me; nobody has taken me up on my challenge yet, which I made in my second post.

Can I add that Fi's part in the ending was a joke and bordered on satire? She started getting emotional and saying 'thank you, my memories with you are the most valuable things I have' and Link seemed emotional too. Uh...she did literally nothing the entire game other than rattle off statistics, said nothing even resembling having a personality, and they didn't interact or experience anything profound like Link did with Midna. And suddenly the game decides to try to use the ending to make a random emotional moment with her, but didn't bother to put the work into giving her a story or personality? ROFL.
#8LegendofLink17Posted 11/25/2012 2:37:34 PM
Floria Lake is gorgeous. The entire Ancient Cistern is beautiful and atmospheric. Looking down the volcano from the top is atmospheric. The view from the top of the tree when the forest is flooded is amazing. The Sand Sea is a pretty cool sight. Anything else?
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerGuides 1.10
#9PT_PiranhaPosted 11/25/2012 2:52:43 PM(edited)
4.) DISGUSTING aesthetic style. I cannot believe they made this ridiculous cel-shading + realism combo. This is a concrete result of Nintendo selling out; they used to make their own decisions and knew what's best for their games, now they're unsure of themselves and scared of fans. In order to try to placate all of them, they made this wishy-washy graphical style mixing both types, rather than have the balls to fully commit to one or the other.

Uh... I'm sorry, what?

Are you just having fun with your roid rage, or do you not know how to read? This isn't some half baked effort to please fans of both art styles, it's based off of Impressionist paintings, and done partly so that enemies could communicate attacks more easily, for swordplay reasons.

And boy oh boy are you the angriest person I've ever seen over this video game. You'd think it just punched you in the face and cheated on you with some other guy.

I'm hoping this is a joke topic. At least the emotional and hyperbolic aspects, anyway.
---
Barkswantsapiratehat.
#10PappinAce(Topic Creator)Posted 11/25/2012 3:49:12 PM
LegendofLink17 posted...
Floria Lake is gorgeous. The entire Ancient Cistern is beautiful and atmospheric. Looking down the volcano from the top is atmospheric. The view from the top of the tree when the forest is flooded is amazing. The Sand Sea is a pretty cool sight. Anything else?

The volcano from the top was pretty cool. But that's one moment rather than constant immersion. I really enjoyed the sand sea though (because it reminded me of WW lol). Floria and its corresponding temple were also really nice in some parts. What's the ancient cistern again?

So not ALL of the game was ugly; it had its moments. But that's all: moments. Not consistency like Wind Waker.

Are you just having fun with your roid rage, or do you not know how to read? This isn't some half baked effort to please fans of both art styles, it's based off of Impressionist paintings, and done partly so that enemies could communicate attacks more easily, for swordplay reasons.

THERE is the problem. Ever since the start of the Wii, Nintendo's philosophy is "gimmicks come first". Meaning they first concentrate on FORCING the innovative new motion controls into the game and use that as the base, working everything around it from there. The devs even said this themselves. You just said yourself that the graphical design was determined partly because of the (stupid) swordplay; since when is combat first in Zelda, and adventure second? It's getting more and more superficial and similar to the soulless modern-day shoot/beat-em-ups.

And boy oh boy are you the angriest person I've ever seen over this video game. You'd think it just punched you in the face and cheated on you with some other guy.

I'm hoping this is a joke topic. At least the emotional and hyperbolic aspects, anyway.

I can't get angry about this? Zelda has always been a big part of my life and some of my most pleasant memories are of playing Wind Waker because of the childhood and friends associated with it. And simply because the game is a masterpiece that I can still enjoy today. So naturally I get really excited for new Zelda games, and when I pay 50 Euro for them, as well as the years of excitement (perpetuated by Nintendo with their false advertising), the disappointment, and ensuing anger, is quite justified.