Skyward Sword
Link's Awakening
A Link to the Past
Oracle games
Phantom Hourglass

...something like that.
#23gamecube101Posted 12/10/2012 3:45:25 PM
1. Adventure of Link:
Regardless of the hate it gets, this game was the apex of the zelda series. It took the puzzle solving and excellent dungeon design of the first game and added a deep and challenging combat system, as well as magic and a well implemented experience mechanic, all of which added to and expanded the strengths of an already great series. I'd say the life system was a misstep, because it added artificial difficulty to an already tough game. However, at the time most nes games operated like this, and only in retrospect do people really have a problem with it. Besides this one aspect not aging well, this game is perfect.

2. A Link to the Past: One can certainly make a case for this being the best zelda game ever. LttP perfected the original zelda's formula. It fleshed out exploration and really brought Hyrule to life for the first time, added more sidequests and characters, as well as the dark world mechanic. It retained the challenge of the previous game's puzzles and dungeons, but reverted back to the overworld combat, which made it more accessible for casual players. While this overworld combat is still excellently done and challenging at times, it doesn't have the same degree of challenge or complexity that AoL had, although this game is the pinnacle of the traditional zelda formula.

3. Wind Waker:
While it is tempting to place OoT as the best 3D zelda game, I think WW edges it out as a better game. Almost everything OoT did, WW does better. Wind waker has a bright, diverse, and broad yet deep world that is rewarding to explore and uncover. It has a ton a fun sidequests, not to mention the usual zelda fare of top notch dungeons, bosses, and puzzles, this game balances combat and puzzles near perfectly. Combat is a bit on the easy side, although the bosses are creative, they often break down into puzzle solving rather than challenge. Even so, Wind Waker is a massive world with memorable dungeons and characters, and the strongest 3D zelda title to date.

4. Ocarina of Time:
OoT is certainly a masterpiece, there's no denying that. The graphical leaps it took over its predecessor were breathtaking, but looking back it is not perfect. Much of the vast world is empty Hyrule field, and the upgrades, magic, and biggorons sword make combat laugably easy halfway through the game. On top of that the puzzles aren't particularly vexing (easier than any other zelda at the time). I list all these negatives to explain why its only 4th. Everyone knows OoT is brilliant. The world is still vibrant and immersive and the dungeons are still great fun and memorable, and Ganondorf is better portrayed than anywhere else in the series. OoT is great, its just not the best.

5. Majora's Mask:
Majora's Mask is a polarizing game based on a polarizing mechanic. The 3 day system was a bold new direction for zelda, which, much like the combat in AoL, was too divisive and never repeated. This does not mean it is bad. On the contrary, this mechanic is refreshing to play around with, it does not detract from the game or your progress at all, and surprisingly really helps immerse you in the fight against time itself. Certainly the game is a bit short altogether, but the numerous sidequests help expand on the main storyline, and the environments, from clock town to the forests to the snowy mountains, are all beautifully made. The atmosphere is also original, it is dark and foreboding the entire game, which helps accentuate the already memorable dungeons, bosses, and world itself.

The rest in order:
Twilight Princess
The Legend of Zelda
Skyward Sword
Phantom Hourglass
Oracle of Ages/Seasons
Links Awakening
Four Swords Adventures
The Minish Cap
Spirit Tracks
Four Swords
#24tirelatPosted 12/10/2012 6:21:21 PM
One, there's no such thing as a "worst" Zelda game (unless you count Link's Crossbow Training). Even if AoL (predictably) is at the end of my list, doesn't mean it's a bad game. It just hasn't aged well. Two, my ranking of favorite Zelda games likely varies from day to day. But I had a lot of fun with Skyward Sword despite the occasional problem with controls, and it's near the top.

OoT
SS
TP
MM
WW
LttP
MC
LA
PH
ST
OoS
OoA
LoZ
4SA
AoL
#25donkeyjackPosted 12/10/2012 10:57:39 PM
My mind is blown when AoL is even in someone's top 10, I'm sorry.
#26gamecube101Posted 12/10/2012 11:49:10 PM
^ It honestly just gets a lot of hate for being so different (and so hard to beat). I just happen to feel that the combat system in AoL is more rewarding than in any other zelda. not to mention on virtual console they let you save anywhere, making it much, much easier for the newer generation of gamers.
#27sketchturnerPosted 12/11/2012 6:17:36 PM
I can't really rank them, but I'll group them.

BEST:
Majora's Mask

GREAT:
Skyward Sword
Link's Awakening
Adventure of Link
Twilight Princess
Oracle of Seasons

GOOD:
Ocarina of Time
Oracle of Ages

DECENT:
Minish Cap
Wind Waker

MEH:
Link to the Past
Legend of Zelda
Four Swords Adventure
---
Now Playing:Rondo of Blood, R-Type Final, Sin & Punishment: Star Successor, Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions, Super Castlevania IV
#28airsoft246(Topic Creator)Posted 12/12/2012 1:59:54 AM
My revised list:

1. TP
2. OoT
3. WW
4. OoS
5. MM
6. aLttP
7. MC
8. FSA
9. FS
10. LoZ
11. AoL

Never Played:
OoA
SS
ST
PH
LA
---
gamertag:airsoft246
Friend code: 2064 9270 5047
#29KeryAdamsPosted 12/12/2012 12:05:16 PM
donkeyjack posted...
My mind is blown when AoL is even in someone's top 10, I'm sorry.

The only negative to that game is the immense difficulty, and that only turns off sissies who don't appreciate a legitimate old school challenge. There are only 16 Zelda games, including the rehashes on portable systems. Surely you can justify 6 games as being more flawed than AoL.

The original gives you little enough information that much of its exploration is trial and error. Twilight Princess is too easy and the wolf sections are boring. SS is easily the most flawed Zelda game, with the annoying sidekick, laggy controls, poor enemy AI, bad pacing, etc. Wind Waker's sailing and Triforce collecting are arduous and definitely not fun. MM makes you repeat the same tasks ad infinitum. Four Swords is barely a game at all. LA loses all meaning when it turns out to have been a dream. While I have not played ST or PH, there's a reason for that. Ocarina of Time is full of bugs and started the annoying sidekick trend.

Objectively, AoL has the fewest flaws. The dungeons are compelling, the world is big and somewhat densely populated, the music is excellent, the graphics are great. The magic and experience systems are well-thought-out, and I think it would really ought to be on everyone's top 5 if not for the difficulty. But then, I don't respect the opinions of people who say the game wasn't good merely because it was too hard. I often miss difficulty in games.
---
GT/PSN: Owngineer
Currently playing: Legend of Zelda II, Resident Evil 3, Castlevania: SotN, Rocksmith
#30jedinatPosted 12/12/2012 12:38:11 PM
KeryAdams posted...
Objectively, AoL has the fewest flaws. The dungeons are compelling, the world is big and somewhat densely populated, the music is excellent, the graphics are great. The magic and experience systems are well-thought-out, and I think it would really ought to be on everyone's top 5 if not for the difficulty. But then, I don't respect the opinions of people who say the game wasn't good merely because it was too hard. I often miss difficulty in games.

The game looks hideous and resembles one of the myriad NES sidescrolling action/adventure games than anything in the rest of the Zelda series. "Objectively" fewest flaws is a complete joke.