The Twilight Princess Effect

#31LOLRIFANPosted 1/22/2013 9:58:24 PM
Really say what you want about tp's over world being empty but at least you weren't on a invisible lease tied your method of travel every time you went to the over world.

Honestly look at minish cap the game's gimmick not only didn't hinder your exploration,it gave you more to explore,and more reason to explore. and this is coming from someone who sees minish cap as the weakest "traditional" zelda game (that's any game other than:aol,ww,st,ph,and ss imo)
---
I am a furry AND PROUD to admit it.
Also guess what I AM SMASHKING84
#32HerugrimPosted 1/23/2013 12:50:23 AM
CakeOfLies posted...
lukeguy97 posted...
On this website especially, Twilight Princess is held on a pedestal.

Have you ever been here? People are CONSTANTLY bashing TP.
WW is held on a pedestal on this site (for some reason).

I have to reiterate this. Although there have been a handful of people creeping around willing to admit to being fans of Twilight Princess, it's still largely panned by the community. The closest people come to complementing it is when they are complaining about the overworld in Skyward Sword.
---
check out my collection! "Ham! I love ham!"
#33imagine606Posted 1/23/2013 10:27:20 AM
Twilight Princess is #2 for me because it's the one I like to play the second most in the series, and that's all that matters to me.
#34Shanoa_AlucardPosted 1/23/2013 8:42:52 PM
For myself personally, I loved the world of Twilight princess. as soon as I had every area accessed, I took Epona on a cross country trip just to see how grand everything looked.

from the crystaline beauty of lake Hylia at dawn,

to the snow covered landscape of Snowpeak mountain in the evening as the snow turned golden,

to the blazing sands of Gerudo desert, where I stood atop the arbiters grounds and basked in the light of one of the most beautiful sunset's I have ever witnessed in a video game.

To an obscure village lost to the mists of time, bathed in the moon's glow empty and peaceful all at once.

and finally to the grand forests in which no place in all of Hyrule was ever so serene and still with beauty and wonder.

What, in all of Skyward Sword could compare with such majesty? where was the beauty in the lands of the Goddess? My friend, I tell you this, The Goddess has indeed been a blessing upon the lands within Twilight Princess, and she loves it dearly.
---
Psn Id: saintboot7
My ranger pawn, Ava needs RC/quest/enemy/area knowlege/ferrystones/wakestones/5 star ratings please help!
#35Hated_DarknessPosted 1/25/2013 8:08:13 PM(edited)
While it's been far too long since I played TP to remember its overall level structure and the order of the events in its main quest and thus to argue for it or against it, I have to say that fetch quests do feel better when they're directly tied to the overall story and thus at least feel like they have some level of importance (although they're still usually nowhere near as good as non-fetch quest gameplay). Because of that, at least to me, even if everything lukeguy97 said about TP's structure is true, I'd probably still prefer that style to SS's. That's not to really say I'm that big of a fan of TP, but it's mostly a comparison of game aspects.

Juxtaposition7 posted...
Yup, guess I talked like my opinions were fact. High school taught me to do that when writing essays, must've stuck.

I sincerely hope you're being sarcastic.

I don't think he was. I remember hearing something similar in some writing class in either HS or college. Basically the logic was "don't say 'in my opinion' for things which are obviously your opinion when writing a persuasive essay because it weakens your argument." It seems kind of a disgusting thing to tell people to do, I know--they're teaching people to put things in such a way that may slightly subconsciously manipulate others. Then again, many of us probably do it unintentionally anyway to save space and time and just assume people know what we mean.
---
Arbitrary guidelines for greatness from an "expert" are still subjective.
Only factual, scientifically-tested criteria can escape subjectivity.
#36FighterOfFirePosted 1/25/2013 8:15:22 PM
I would honestly argue that all the hate and bashing TP or SS receives can ultimately boil down to something I like to call the "newest WoW expansion phenomenon". When Wrath was new, everyone held BC higher than their lives; when Cata was new, "I miss wrath. ICC was so epic." I'm not a huge MMO guy, but I think anyone who even knows about WoW can attest to how terrible Blizzard's fanbase is when it comes to things like this. The same can be said for Zelda. I remember ranting about Twilight Princess years ago, and now, when I look back on the game, I don't feel the need to scream. Essentially, there is a waiting period of a few years after every Zelda game is released, only after that waiting period can it be accurately judged.

TLDR: When Zelda games are fresh, players feel butthurt and then nostalgia about how good the previous ones were.
---
... And that's how I went from 450 karma to 377 karma in 2 hours.
#37Hated_DarknessPosted 1/26/2013 5:50:32 AM
^ That's the "Zelda cycle" theory by another name. I tend to subscribe to this man's view of said cycle because for me, my opinion on games doesn't usually change much after I've completed them and thus I tend to believe that is true for other people as well:

Stoneman80 posted...
Here's the thing with the Zelda cycle: (most) people don't actually change their opinions on the games when the new one comes out. You'll have the odd chap who will hate a game, then see all the flaws in its successor and realize that the old game wasn't so bad after all, but that's pretty rare.

Typically what happens is, when the next game gets announced, those who disliked the previous game are initially the most vocal about how this new game should be nothing short of amazing since the last one was so terrible. Once the new game comes out we see the vocal majority of people picking apart the flaws of the current game, comparing those flaws to the amazing things done in the previous game. Which gives us a perceived cycle of love/hate relationships to Zelda games.

Basically with this, it comes down to different groups being vocal at different times about the perceived good/bad things in the last game and the present game in the series.
---
Arbitrary guidelines for greatness from an "expert" are still subjective.
Only factual, scientifically-tested criteria can escape subjectivity.
#38Czar_YoshiPosted 1/26/2013 10:18:07 PM
Hated_Darkness posted...
I don't think he was. I remember hearing something similar in some writing class in either HS or college. Basically the logic was "don't say 'in my opinion' for things which are obviously your opinion when writing a persuasive essay because it weakens your argument." It seems kind of a disgusting thing to tell people to do, I know--they're teaching people to put things in such a way that may slightly subconsciously manipulate others. Then again, many of us probably do it unintentionally anyway to save space and time and just assume people know what we mean.

Unfortunately, this is all very true.

What's even more unfortunate is that if you use that approach on idiots and trolls, it's quite likely that they'll miss all your holes and go on to make fools of themselves and flame you. However, if you take the time to craft a really good argument and point out all the "holes", only to offer a detailed rebuttal for each one, the troll will either attack all of them at once, ignoring your rebuttals, which gets extremely hectic and annoying and then they jump you when you forget to counter anything they say about any one, or it'll go after just one and ignore everything else in your argument, no matter how sound it is.

As an example, I was offering a proof on the Sticker Star Boards on how the battle system had no objective reward, and then covered myself by adding in that fun is subjective and just because one person can find it fun does not mean that it's objectively rewarding to everyone. Of course, a troll appeared and tried to tell me that because he had fun with the battle system, that was an exception to my rule and the system was not universally bad to the point where nobody could enjoy it- even though I never said it was.

It makes me wish Logic and Reasoning classes were required for graduation. Too bad that'll never happen...
---
"it's that game that is so great it makes you want to destroy your Toilet." -Throwback2780
#39Czar_YoshiPosted 1/26/2013 10:20:02 PM
FighterOfFire posted...
TLDR: When Zelda games are fresh, players feel butthurt and then nostalgia about how good the previous ones were.

I'd say more of Nintendo blew the game out of proportion with massive hype that nothing could ever live up to.
---
"it's that game that is so great it makes you want to destroy your Toilet." -Throwback2780
#40SingingSoulPosted 1/26/2013 10:48:35 PM
Czar_Yoshi posted...
FighterOfFire posted...

I'd say more of Nintendo blew the game out of proportion with massive hype that nothing could ever live up to.

hipe is in teh ai of the ds-holdar (get it its a joak jajhaj)

in otter worse... dont buoy teh hipe ever... ure be a hapy gamer and humane Beijing
---
dinosuar king is the best anime ever
i luv u reese do u loev me?