First time I have ever rage quit a game

#1WahahaNamePosted 2/13/2013 10:34:12 AM
Spent about 30-40 minutes trying to kill a skultula before I find out you literally have to stab it and slashes do not work. Spent another 20 minutes trying to hit ghirahim aiming from literally every direction. Have to constantly recalibrate the wii remote. Aiming is absolutely the most annoying thing I have ever done in a game have to recalibrate 2 times to hit something with the slingshot and dont even think of trying to look around because you will be recalibrating 3-4 times to do that. Walking across ropes should not require motion control. I end up shimmying across then walking the last second so I am not constantly recalibrating to balance.

TP is my favorite game of all time but I will not be able to keep playing this game. Hope Nintendo learned from this mistake and will never include motion controls in a major game again.
#2goomba420Posted 2/13/2013 10:44:12 AM
ive been playing zelda games since the original came out and this is the first one i passed up due to the motion controls, IM SORRY but when i play video games especially epic ones like zelda i wanna sit on my ass and enjoy it not hack n slash all over the room and have my arm feel like poop half way through a dungeon. In fact this is why i never bought a wii was because of the fact i gotta get up and move while playin and if your wondering im 6 ft 185 lbs so i dont need the workout.

Maybe the poor reception for the wii u will open their eyes more and realize their so called innovation isnt for everybody and should include options to switch motion controls on and off
#3LLL_DeadlyPosted 2/13/2013 1:04:11 PM
SS is my least favorite Zelda game, but I loved the Motion Controls. They were the best part of the game.

Sorry to hear you can't get them to work.
---
Long live the Hero of Winds!
#4megamachopopPosted 2/13/2013 1:33:23 PM
I don't see how you should be recalibrating constantly. I rarely have to and if you are you're probably swinging way too hard or not calibrating it right. That or there's something wrong with your WM+.
#5FEfan1993Posted 2/13/2013 1:50:27 PM
megamachopop posted...
I don't see how you should be recalibrating constantly. I rarely have to and if you are you're probably swinging way too hard or not calibrating it right. That or there's something wrong with your WM+.

Yeah, same here. I really didn't have to recalibrate too much either. I thought the controls were good, too.
#6lukeguy97Posted 2/13/2013 2:07:17 PM
First of all, recentering the slingshot by pressing down on the D-pad isn't "recalibrating". Recalibrating is putting your Wii Remote face down on a flat surface for a few seconds, which I suspect most people who aren't constantly flinging their Wii Remotes at walls only have to do when booting up the game. Recentering with the D-pad is also only necessary if you switch to first-person while holding the Wii Remote in an odd position. This situation is fairly common, but I don't see how automatically centering your cursor in less than a second is annoying. It's a quick and effective way to make aiming more accurate, and you'll only have to recenter "3-4 times while looking around" if you're flailing around like a maniac.

Second of all, the rest of your problems are caused by the fact that you are unwilling to get into the game's mindset. You complained about the fact that you have to use a certain move to beat a Skulltula. That has nothing to do with bad motion controls. Most of the enemies in this game are fairly complex; you can't beat them all by slashing, you have to learn each one's strengths and weaknesses. Then you complained about Ghirahim being hard. The thing is, the first dungeon in this game is meant to be a learning experience. It's where the game finally shows you that accuracy, speed, skill, and observation are required more than ever. The first dungeon was hard for me, too. I remember dreading every Skulltula (my first fight with one took about one minute rather than 30-40, though). I also remember trying to slash Ghirahim over and over only to get caught every time for about ten minutes. But after that fight, the game actually started to feel comfortable. When I fought the first Ghirahim battle again in Boss Rush Mode, it took me one minute because now I knew how combat worked.

Don't blame the fact that you're not able to blow through everything on the Wii Remote becoming "uncalibrated". If you actually pay attention to the types of puzzles and enemies in this game while learning the best methods for using each weapon and item, you might come to find the experience of getting better and better at progressing rewarding.
#7Czar_YoshiPosted 2/13/2013 11:41:40 PM
WahahaName posted...
Spent about 30-40 minutes trying to kill a skultula before I find out you literally have to stab it and slashes do not work. Spent another 20 minutes trying to hit ghirahim aiming from literally every direction. Have to constantly recalibrate the wii remote. Aiming is absolutely the most annoying thing I have ever done in a game have to recalibrate 2 times to hit something with the slingshot and dont even think of trying to look around because you will be recalibrating 3-4 times to do that. Walking across ropes should not require motion control. I end up shimmying across then walking the last second so I am not constantly recalibrating to balance.

TP is my favorite game of all time but I will not be able to keep playing this game. Hope Nintendo learned from this mistake and will never include motion controls in a major game again.

Sorry, the motion controls aren't bad, you just stink at the game. Pulling an item, looking with C, riding your loftwing, activating a cutscene or loading zone of any kind will re-center your remote, and if it re-centers it in the wrong way, you were holding it wrong.

Derping on the skulltulas is your fault for using the wrong moves on them, not the fault of the motion controls. I don't know how the controls have anything to do with you knowing how to fight an enemy. And really, do you think they would have added directional swings if you didn't have to use them to beat certain enemies?

You hope Nintendo learned from your mistake and removes any semblance of challenge from the game? No thanks, I don't think that would go over well with people who can play the game.

goomba420 posted...
ive been playing zelda games since the original came out and this is the first one i passed up due to the motion controls, IM SORRY but when i play video games especially epic ones like zelda i wanna sit on my ass and enjoy it not hack n slash all over the room and have my arm feel like poop half way through a dungeon. In fact this is why i never bought a wii was because of the fact i gotta get up and move while playin and if your wondering im 6 ft 185 lbs so i dont need the workout.

Maybe the poor reception for the wii u will open their eyes more and realize their so called innovation isnt for everybody and should include options to switch motion controls on and off

You're doing it wrong. You flick your wrist to slash, you don't flail at the shoulder. No wonder you're tired if you're doing that.

Protip: doing that also sharply decreases the accuracy of your sword swings. You aren't a windmill, don't pretend to be one.

Now... I'm sorry if I was a little harsh, but people seriously need to learn how to play the game before they deride it as a failure. If you can't figure out how to beat an enemy, that's your fault and not the fault of the controls. Don't blame them.
---
"it's that game that is so great it makes you want to destroy your Toilet." -Throwback2780
#8CatMutoPosted 2/14/2013 3:34:18 AM
Spent about 30-40 minutes trying to kill a skultula before I find out you literally have to stab it and slashes do not work.

Well... d'uh! If there is this huge gem thing stuck on it's stomach, that's a pretty huge sign of "Hit this, Moron!" and obviously slashes don't work.

Spent another 20 minutes trying to hit ghirahim aiming from literally every direction.

He is the Wake Up Call boss. No more nonsensical waving to hit things.

Have to constantly recalibrate the wii remote. Aiming is absolutely the most annoying thing I have ever done in a game have to recalibrate 2 times to hit something with the slingshot and dont even think of trying to look around because you will be recalibrating 3-4 times to do that.

That must be a problem with your Wiimote, cause I never have to recalibrate that often. Sure I recalibrate to the screen as soon as I pull out something I have to aim with, but that's because I am OCD and like things perfectly in order.

Walking across ropes should not require motion control. I end up shimmying across then walking the last second so I am not constantly recalibrating to balance.

Sort of agree. I just recently figured out how to move the wiimote while on the ropes.

Hope Nintendo learned from this mistake and will never include motion controls in a major game again.

Again, I disagree. I found the motion controls for swordbattle to be a really cool idea, they were great. Took me a bit to figure out how to stab, but aside from Skulltulas and the pen-ultimate boss fight, it's not necessary to use for the most part.
I hope they bring MCs back in the next big game.

C-A
---
Cloud and Sephiroth - battling each other since '97 for your amusement
Give it a rest already!
#9WahahaName(Topic Creator)Posted 2/14/2013 7:52:47 AM
I had to recalibrate at least 10 times while playing up to the first boss. Also had to recenter constantly which was also annoying.

I dont need to do anything. I play a video game to have fun not to struggle with controls for over an hour and then maybe start having fun when I learn them. I also dont mind difficulty by the way. One of my favorite games was Mario Sunshine precisely because some of the levels were really challenging. But difficulty should be because of the challenge itself not because of the controls. Nothing was particularly difficult by the way. The reason I gave up is because it was physically painful to continue.

Why do slashes obviously not work? In any previous Zelda game if there was a gem like that on a monsters back you could slash it and it would take damage. I didnt even know you COULD stab at that point so how the hell am I supposed to expect I need to stab?

By the way I guarantee you motion controls will never be in another Zelda game because the fricken 3DS port almost outsold this original game. Clearly I wasnt the only one who hated the motion controls. It will never reach anywhere near TP sales which are more than double.
#10TheWindWaker333Posted 2/14/2013 9:50:54 AM
Quote:First of all, recentering the slingshot by pressing down on the D-pad isn't "recalibrating". Recalibrating is putting your Wii Remote face down on a flat surface for a few seconds, which I suspect most people who aren't constantly flinging their Wii Remotes at walls only have to do when booting up the game. Recentering with the D-pad is also only necessary if you switch to first-person while holding the Wii Remote in an odd position. This situation is fairly common, but I don't see how automatically centering your cursor in less than a second is annoying. It's a quick and effective way to make aiming more accurate, and you'll only have to recenter "3-4 times while looking around" if you're flailing around like a maniac.

Second of all, the rest of your problems are caused by the fact that you are unwilling to get into the game's mindset. You complained about the fact that you have to use a certain move to beat a Skulltula. That has nothing to do with bad motion controls. Most of the enemies in this game are fairly complex; you can't beat them all by slashing, you have to learn each one's strengths and weaknesses. Then you complained about Ghirahim being hard. The thing is, the first dungeon in this game is meant to be a learning experience. It's where the game finally shows you that accuracy, speed, skill, and observation are required more than ever. The first dungeon was hard for me, too. I remember dreading every Skulltula (my first fight with one took about one minute rather than 30-40, though). I also remember trying to slash Ghirahim over and over only to get caught every time for about ten minutes. But after that fight, the game actually started to feel comfortable. When I fought the first Ghirahim battle again in Boss Rush Mode, it took me one minute because now I knew how combat worked.

Don't blame the fact that you're not able to blow through everything on the Wii Remote becoming "uncalibrated". If you actually pay attention to the types of puzzles and enemies in this game while learning the best methods for using each weapon and item, you might come to find the experience of getting better and better at progressing rewarding.

@lukeguy97

This x3
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerGuides 1.10