So, I've just played this game... About perfect scores...

#1Manuel Garcia CPosted 2/27/2013 4:04:16 AM
I never owned a Nintendo 64, GameCube or Wii, so I missed all the Zeldas on those platforms. I was never really interested on Nintendo games, except Zelda. I always regretted not being able to play them. Everyone seemed to love them so much, and I always assumed I would too.

Last year I tried playing Ocarina of Time, and I didn't like it. I abandoned it after like 10 hours of playing it. I blamed it on the fact that the game had come a long time ago, and it had aged. But I still believed that I would have loved it if I had played it when it came out.

So, now that I can afford owning every console, I decided to buy a Wii U, even though I'm not that really interested in it. With it I bought Skyward Sword and beat it achieving 100% completion.

I don't understand the high scores it gets. Why? The story is slow and simple and the gameplay isn't really deep. Even the enemy models are scarce. And on top of that, it's too easy. I never even used a potion and came nowhere near of dying.
With just that, the game can't be above a 9. Right now I'm playing Ni No Kuni, which got a 9.1 on IGN, and it's better on every aspect, but they gave a 10 to Skyward Sword. I don't get it...
---
PSN: TheManuPro
Check my piano performances... To Zanarkand: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MokFQsFx5-M ~ Eternity: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hkyfreh9Hs
#2KeryAdamsPosted 2/27/2013 7:07:22 AM
Nintendo has spent the last three decades cultivating a culture of fanboyism. They've consistently produced the best first party titles and a huge percentage of the best games in general. It used to be true that if a game was made by Nintendo, it would always be gold. Every Zelda, every Metroid, and every Mario - all 10/10 games and deserving of that rating. They set the industry standard for many years. They still do in the handheld market, and they still make a lot of great software... but not always to the calibre that they used to. I don't think the fans are ready to admit that Nintendo is fallible, and they're as much to blame for the declining quality as the developers themselves.
---
GT/PSN: Owngineer
Currently playing: Alundra, Rocksmith, Assassin's Creed 3
#3LLL_DeadlyPosted 2/27/2013 8:13:28 AM
KeryAdams posted...
Nintendo has spent the last three decades cultivating a culture of fanboyism. They've consistently produced the best first party titles and a huge percentage of the best games in general. It used to be true that if a game was made by Nintendo, it would always be gold. Every Zelda, every Metroid, and every Mario - all 10/10 games and deserving of that rating. They set the industry standard for many years. They still do in the handheld market, and they still make a lot of great software... but not always to the calibre that they used to. I don't think the fans are ready to admit that Nintendo is fallible, and they're as much to blame for the declining quality as the developers themselves.

Agreed.

Anyway, TC, Ni no Kuni certainly isn't better than Skyward Sword in every aspect. It's even slower than SS at times, the music is the weakest Joe Hisaishi has produced, and the story is vastly inferior.

From what we know about Zelda Wii U, it's a very ambitious title and is getting rid of Skyward Sword's linearity. I have huge hopes for the future of this series.
#4CatMutoPosted 2/27/2013 8:49:02 AM
Last year I tried playing Ocarina of Time, and I didn't like it. I abandoned it after like 10 hours of playing it. I blamed it on the fact that the game had come a long time ago, and it had aged. But I still believed that I would have loved it if I had played it when it came out.

That's exactly it, it was pretty revolutionary back when it came out towards the end of the 90s. Back then the graphics were really high scale, the gameplay was... I dunno. I don't like OoT. It was fun to play back then, but it hasn't aged very well. I practically have to force myself to play this game.

At least you gave us reasons that differ from the nagging that's been on the internet for so long about Skyward Sword. Yeah, Skyward was definitely a pretty easy game. A reason why I enjoy playing it in Hero Mode so much.

The story isn't deep? Who cares.
None of the other Zelda games was very deep in terms of story - it was basically the typical Save the World plot. With Skyward, they tried to be more story-driven and plot-focused.... but they kind of failed. As soon as you descend onto the surface, any previous mention of the oh-so-important story disappears and you are left with the exact same thing you've been doing in the previous Zeldas.
Enter Dungeon, Fight Boss, Next Area. Repeat.

I'm not sure what you mean with the gameplay not being deep... To me, it felt like every other Zelda game I had played, maybe even a bit more fun, since I had to change my equipment real time or pay attention on how to attack enemies. But maybe, since you said you never played the other 3D games, it feels that way to you.

I absolutely enjoy playing Skyward. The music is the usual Zelda goodness, but with an orchestra this time and the graphics are beautiful. Main reason I enjoy Skyward so much, though, is Ghirahim.

C-A
---
Cloud and Sephiroth - battling each other since '97 for your amusement
Give it a rest already!
#5LLL_DeadlyPosted 2/27/2013 8:51:06 AM
CatMuto posted...
None of the other Zelda games was very deep in terms of story

Its predecessors, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, did have deep stories, so being disappointed with this game's story is justified.
#6CatMutoPosted 2/27/2013 3:16:43 PM
LLL_Deadly posted...
CatMuto posted...

Its predecessors, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, did have deep stories, so being disappointed with this game's story is justified.

Wind Waker: OoT Ganondorf sealed, OoT Link dies, OoT Ganondorf reappears, Hyrule gets flooded. Kid goes to save sister, but ends up becoming legendary Hero. Kills Ganondorf.

I fail to see the deepness of the story.

Twilight Princess, eh, it had a somehwat deeper story. It still boils down to Link saving Hyrule.

C-A
---
Cloud and Sephiroth - battling each other since '97 for your amusement
Give it a rest already!
#7weegee753Posted 2/27/2013 4:35:08 PM
Manuel Garcia C posted...

Did you use try it on the 3DS or the N64. The first time I played OoT was 2 years ago on the 3DS and I liked it. I don't know why but it was so addicting. Most of it is probably because the animation felt smoother (except for a few laggy moments in 3DS) and also I liked the music better on the 3DS rather than a TV.

As for SS, I do believe it wasn't worth the 10 that IGN gave it but I loved everything about the game except for a few things. Fi, a character I do like except for times she says obvious things and repeated (coupled with slow) text.
---
"It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in an argument."
#8LLL_DeadlyPosted 2/27/2013 4:59:49 PM
CatMuto posted...
LLL_Deadly posted...
CatMuto posted...

Wind Waker: OoT Ganondorf sealed, OoT Link dies, OoT Ganondorf reappears, Hyrule gets flooded. Kid goes to save sister, but ends up becoming legendary Hero. Kills Ganondorf.

I fail to see the deepness of the story.

Twilight Princess, eh, it had a somehwat deeper story. It still boils down to Link saving Hyrule.

C-A

This isn't really something arguable. Wind Waker does have a deep story, especially the final 2 cutscenes, and the themes surrounding it speak for themselves. The King of Hyrule, as a character, is very complex and has a good amount of depth. Ganon, on the other hand, is a very developed and deep character. Everything rounded together makes a deep story.

Twilight Princess isn't deeper than Wind Waker, but it was still a fairly deep story that puts Skyward Sword to shame.

If you can't identify how deep the stories are, then it's your own problem, really. But you can't just argue that they weren't deep in attempt to defend SS.
#9Manuel Garcia C(Topic Creator)Posted 2/28/2013 3:50:51 AM
Good stuff... But the whole point of this thread really was, why a score of 10 out of 10? That would mean the game is perfect, no flaws at all... And we just named several. Is it fanboyism like someone said?
---
PSN: TheManuPro
Check my piano performances... To Zanarkand: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MokFQsFx5-M ~ Eternity: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hkyfreh9Hs
#10lukeguy97Posted 2/28/2013 8:22:16 AM
Manuel Garcia C posted...
Good stuff... But the whole point of this thread really was, why a score of 10 out of 10? That would mean the game is perfect, no flaws at all... And we just named several. Is it fanboyism like someone said?

No game is flawless. None of the them. People might say that 10 means "Flawless", but if it really did, there'd be no point in having a possible ranking above 9. For me, a 10 is any game that excels in creativity, polish, and fun beyond most games. Skyward Sword has a genius structure built around amazingly smooth new mechanics like the stamina meter (bringing about consistantly interesting area layouts) and the motion controls (creating intuitive puzzles and a combat system that relies on actual skill). The game has a great look and feel: nothing is glitchy, and nothing is out of place. Narrative wise, the game does a good job at crafting a world around the legend of Hylia. Each race has their own little culture or backstory. When it comes to the main plot, the game is always interesting because of the well-defined personalities and motivations of the main characters.

So basically, it got 10s becase people liked it. There's no wild explanation. I mean, I think Twilight Princess deserves a 5, but it got mostly 10s. I don't think it's a conspiracy or anything. And I don't think you understand how fanboyism for the Zelda series works; we're all really, really picky.