getting the sacred water makes me want to throw this game in the trash

#31LLL_DeadlyPosted 3/28/2013 12:05:40 PM
lukeguy97 posted...
Should finding the Earth Temple Key and the Kikwis really count as filler when they take you to unexplored sections?

I never said the Kikwis count as filler (although that's arguable).

With the Earth Temple keys, although you visit some new locations, it's mostly just dowsing and backtracking. Easily the worst fetch quest in Skyward Sword (I preferred the tadtones).
---
Predicting Sasuke Uchiha's death sometime in the next 50 chapters. ~03/19/13
#32CatMutoPosted 3/28/2013 12:14:58 PM
Mephsuit posted...
Seriously, has anyone ever actually played TP or WW? TP had the tears of light, doing each section twice (once regular, once in twilight), the Dominion Rod nonsense, backtracking to warp around random bridges and crap, basically anything involving the Zora Prince, etc. SS isn't half as bad as that. And Wind Waker was the most shameless, painful fetch quest of all time.

Exactly this entire thing.
Skyward is not the only Zelda game that had pedding and pointless fetching. TP had it, Wind Waker had it - particularly the Triforce of Courage gathering. You can't just go to the islands that have the pieces, no you are forced to do certain sidequests to get this story based thing.
Well thankfully, Skyward did not do that. It forced me to start a sidequest, but it was up to me to finish it.

C-A
---
Cloud and Sephiroth - battling each other since '97 for your amusement
Give it a rest already!
#33LLL_DeadlyPosted 3/28/2013 12:58:01 PM
CatMuto posted...
Mephsuit posted...
Seriously, has anyone ever actually played TP or WW? TP had the tears of light, doing each section twice (once regular, once in twilight), the Dominion Rod nonsense, backtracking to warp around random bridges and crap, basically anything involving the Zora Prince, etc. SS isn't half as bad as that. And Wind Waker was the most shameless, painful fetch quest of all time.

Skyward is not the only Zelda game that had pedding and pointless fetching. TP had it, Wind Waker had it - particularly the Triforce of Courage gathering. You can't just go to the islands that have the pieces, no you are forced to do certain sidequests to get this story based thing.
Well thankfully, Skyward did not do that. It forced me to start a sidequest, but it was up to me to finish it.

C-A

No, only TP had it. And no one is saying TP doesn't have it; it's almost as bad as SS in that regard. That's why TP and SS started the downfall of this series.

WW had one fetch quest, and while large, it made you explore the world. If you were actually exploring prior to when it's mandatory, you would have a couple of Triforce charts already. If you weren't exploring prior to the Triforce fetch quest, then you're playing the game incorrectly. WW is about exploration.
---
#34Czar_YoshiPosted 3/28/2013 10:08:16 PM
CatMuto posted...
I don't get why people complain about the fetch quests in Skyward so much. It's not like this is the first Zelda game where you had to fetch stuff to proceed. Twilight Princess you have to fetch the sword and shield first before proceeding. You can't go up Death Mountain until you have gone all the back to Ordon to fetch the Iron Boots. Same with fetching the Tears of Light, fetching the Fused Shadows and Mirror Shards, that whole ordeal of fetching the Dominion Rod's re-power up and going back into that stupid Hidden Village to fetch the book.
Yeah Skyward is the first Zelda game where I had to fetch stuff to proceed with the main story.

The thing is, in TP all of the fetch quests either helped you later (sword and shield) or made sense/were important from a story perspective (returning to Ordon was the focus of the post-eldin tears one, not the Iron Boots).

I think here it's important to define what makes a fetch quest: a fetch quest has you go from point A to point B, obtain something that has no plot relevance and does not alter your in-game abilities, and then return to point A, all at the behest of the plot (mandatory) or an NPC (optional, for a reward).

Something tells me that, rather than picking a side and grabbing mud, it would be more useful to post an (hopefully) unbiased list of mandatory fetch quests in SS.

-Kikwis (debatable). Although you had to explore the forest to find them, the forest is more of a maze than a field, and the Kikwis are never seen or heard from again, have exactly as much personality as SPM Pixls, and are really just walking keys required to progress to the next area.

-Eldin Keys. You climb the mountain, it took a while and you're ready for the dungeon, but first you must climb all the way back down to get 5 keys that happen to be blocking the door. These could have been used for something else, some other time, but as-is they require you to leave an area, get something with no story or ability relevance whatsoever, and return to the same place- a textbook case of a fetch quest.

-Generators. Actually, all of Lanayru past the landslide shouldn't have been there had the pacing worked, but having to leave the central area 3 times to find 3 generators that opened the door to the dungeon and do nothing else, for no reason, is a fetch quest..

-The Pinwheel. The game would have been just the same if it had been in place in the first place. Scrapper could have been introduced the next time you needed him (or cut alltogether).

-Climbing the tree. This could have been a bonus mini-dungeon, but as-is it serves no purpose except making you go out of your way to talk to a never-heard-from-again Kikwi.

-Sacred water. Obvious. You're sent back to an already completed dungeon for a trivial item with one use, to open the next area.

-Most of the Sand Sea. It's important to emphasize here that fetch quest =/= bad, but going to the shipyard and pirate hideout were just detours on your way to the dungeon.

-Bodyguarding Scrapper. This is completely arbitrary and should have been a minigame or not included.

-Tadtones. Obvious.

That's all I can think of atm, but it's 11pm here right now and I probably missed some.
---
"it's that game that is so great it makes you want to destroy your Toilet." -Throwback2780
#35CatMutoPosted 3/29/2013 3:15:20 AM
-Most of the Sand Sea. It's important to emphasize here that fetch quest =/= bad, but going to the shipyard and pirate hideout were just detours on your way to the dungeon.

-Tadtones. Obvious.

Those two are debateable as the Sand Sea had a beautiful environment.
And I absolutely loved the Tadtones. I'm turning the Tadtone Melody into my ringtone.

The rest are hit and miss... Scrapper I don't like cause he's a jerk to me, but Impa is a b**** to me, so it's kind of evened out. I didn't like having to protect Scrapper, but I liked that I could use the arrows to kill majority of the monsters.
Except the Lizalfos. Those f******!

C-A
---
Give it a rest already!
#36MephsuitPosted 3/29/2013 8:38:30 AM
LLL_Deadly posted...
CatMuto posted...
Mephsuit posted...

C-A

No, only TP had it. And no one is saying TP doesn't have it; it's almost as bad as SS in that regard. That's why TP and SS started the downfall of this series.

WW had one fetch quest, and while large, it made you explore the world. If you were actually exploring prior to when it's mandatory, you would have a couple of Triforce charts already. If you weren't exploring prior to the Triforce fetch quest, then you're playing the game incorrectly. WW is about exploration.

You're completely blinded. You're arguing that forced exploration is good and if you didn't explore the world, you played the game wrong and you should be forced to anyway.

Here's a Diablo 3 thread talking about the worst fetch quests in gaming...

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/930659-diablo-iii/62985621

"Windwaker TriForce fetch quest says hi"

"This has my vote, as that part single handedly prevented me from going through Windwaker more than once, just because I dreaded it so much."

"This, its the only zelda game I have only played once, and it was because of that."

"^I don't understand why the topic didn't get closed after this.

"QFT"

Combined mentions of TP or SS: 0
---
"Mephsuit, as he so often is, is right." - Token sane 261 member Saber_Tiger a.k.a. SST
#37CatMutoPosted 3/29/2013 9:28:55 AM
Mephsuit posted...

"This has my vote, as that part single handedly prevented me from going through Windwaker more than once, just because I dreaded it so much."

Hehe, yeah.... I'm currently playing WW - just entered the Earth Temple - and I'm seriously contemplating on just using my AR and having the Triforce Pieces already collected once I finish the Wind Temple. Now that part felt like real padding.

C-A
---
Give it a rest already!
#38LLL_DeadlyPosted 3/29/2013 10:49:35 AM
Mephsuit posted...
LLL_Deadly posted...
CatMuto posted...
Mephsuit posted...

C-A

You're completely blinded. You're arguing that forced exploration is good and if you didn't explore the world, you played the game wrong and you should be forced to anyway.

Here's a Diablo 3 thread talking about the worst fetch quests in gaming...

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/930659-diablo-iii/62985621

"This, its the only zelda game I have only played once, and it was because of that."

"^I don't understand why the topic didn't get closed after this.

"QFT"

Combined mentions of TP or SS: 0

Very well, then. Call me blinded, call me crazy, but I believe those who didn't explore were playing the game wrong.

Also, you can begin the Triforce quest before it's necessary. Like I said, if you were exploring, it wouldn't be a hassle.

Why are you linking me to that topic, as if it's actually worth anything? The Triforce quest was terrible, but once again, if you were exploring the world, you would already have a bunch of Triforce charts. It's nowhere near as bad as TP and SS in that regard, as that's the only fetch quest in the game, and even so, you can begin it almost straight after the 2nd dungeon.

Because a bunch of Diablo players didn't mention TP or SS in some random topic, they must be better in terms of padding. Hahaha. Ahahahahahahahahahaha.
---
#39LLL_DeadlyPosted 3/29/2013 10:50:47 AM
CatMuto posted...
Mephsuit posted...

Hehe, yeah.... I'm currently playing WW - just entered the Earth Temple - and I'm seriously contemplating on just using my AR and having the Triforce Pieces already collected once I finish the Wind Temple. Now that part felt like real padding.

C-A

If you were exploring, it wouldn't be a problem. By the Earth Temple, it's possible to have 7/8 charts already.
---
#40MephsuitPosted 3/29/2013 11:22:13 AM(edited)
So to be clear, this DOESN'T sound like a completely blinded fanboy to you? That it's the player's fault for not playing the game "right" and that if they didn't play the game "right", they should be FORCED to explore if they want to actually finish the game and forced to farm over 28,000 rupees just to even get to be forced to explore? Because to most people, being punished for not playing a game a certain way is not a good mark of quality.

And the point of the Diablo post is that even to the players of a game completely irrelevant to Zelda, Wind Waker's painful fetch quest is legendary.
---
"Mephsuit, as he so often is, is right." - Token sane 261 member Saber_Tiger a.k.a. SST