Why does everyone love Ancient Cistern?

#1iKhanicPosted 4/22/2013 10:53:18 PM
Even people who don't like the game like Ancient Cistern. IMO its the worst dungeon in the series. It had ridiculously easy puzzles, an item that was just barely more useful than the dominion rod, a complete lack of proper "dungeon" music (as in it wasn't creepy in the slightest), and because of the concept behind it, felt like two half dungeons done consecutively rather than one cohesive dungeon.

The only things I see as good about the dungeon is the concept itself and miniboss were alright, and the boss was one of the best in the series.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#2CatMutoPosted 4/23/2013 1:41:33 AM
I love the place because... it's beautiful! I love the details on the pillars, the entire atmosphere of the place, the water and lilypads on it being very relaxing. Plus, the concept of the entire dungeon is buddhistic - Heaven and Hell.
The top is beautiful, peaceful, bright, almost soothing.
And then they have to decend the statue into hell, where it's dark, creepy, you can barely take a breath and your heart just beats like crazy. Plus, you try to get out from there and the bokoblin do as well, but are also trying to pull you back down.
And I even liked the puzzles in it. Sure they were too easy, but it sort of made sense to put easy puzzles into the 'heaven' part. Yes, I will take that as a reason, no matter how vague it is.

And I really like the little trick/glitch/whatever you want to call it, where I can practically skip the majority of the basement and lessen the time I have in the dungeon. Although that last bit is kind of sad for me.

C-A
---
The gamer who isn't afraid of admitting to disliking the so-called Best Games of their Generation
#3iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 4/23/2013 1:50:41 AM
CatMuto posted...
I love the place because... it's beautiful! I love the details on the pillars, the entire atmosphere of the place, the water and lilypads on it being very relaxing. Plus, the concept of the entire dungeon is buddhistic - Heaven and Hell.
The top is beautiful, peaceful, bright, almost soothing.
And then they have to decend the statue into hell, where it's dark, creepy, you can barely take a breath and your heart just beats like crazy. Plus, you try to get out from there and the bokoblin do as well, but are also trying to pull you back down.
And I even liked the puzzles in it. Sure they were too easy, but it sort of made sense to put easy puzzles into the 'heaven' part. Yes, I will take that as a reason, no matter how vague it is.

And I really like the little trick/glitch/whatever you want to call it, where I can practically skip the majority of the basement and lessen the time I have in the dungeon. Although that last bit is kind of sad for me.

C-A

I suppose it is aesthetically pleasing, but I still think the negatives far outweigh the interesting bhuddist concept and the aesthetics. In fact, all of Skyward Sword's dungeons are fairly well designed aesthetically, so I don't really want to say Ancient Cistern was particularly beautiful.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#4MC_BatCommanderPosted 4/23/2013 3:58:07 AM
I dunno, it stood out to me the most compared to the other dungeons, plus I really enjoyed the boss.
---
<<<<<
#5lukeguy97Posted 4/23/2013 9:21:51 AM
It was my favorite dungeon on my first playthrough, but on my second, I noticed it wasn't as interesting as the Sky Keep, Sandship, or Fire Sanctuary gameplay wise. The reason it sticks out to players is the presentation. Being based around the short story The Spider's Thread and Buddhist art, it's structured in a more cinematic way compared to other dungeons. A lot of stuff is in there just for the sake of carrying a theme, looking cool and surprising players. For example, the whole "climbing out of hell into heaven on a thread" thing wasn't necessary at all (there could've just been another one of those water things to carry you back up), and it didn't add anything to the gameplay, but it heightened the atmosphere.

The miniboss and boss battles also contribute to the dungeon's greatness way more than you're making them out to.
#6CatMutoPosted 4/23/2013 12:00:23 PM
For example, the whole "climbing out of hell into heaven on a thread" thing wasn't necessary at all (there could've just been another one of those water things to carry you back up), and it didn't add anything to the gameplay, but it heightened the atmosphere.

True, it didn't add to the gameplay in any way really, but it certainly added to the atmosphere. Climbing up and then these monsters suddenly going after you, I'm sure it gives players a jump. Just like when you grab the Boss Key and the monsters appear, along with the statue descending onto you.

C-A
---
The gamer who isn't afraid of admitting to disliking the so-called Best Games of their Generation
#7surferguy7Posted 4/23/2013 6:28:20 PM
The worst dungeon in the series? That's a bit extreme isn't it?

Sure, I think it's overrated as hell, but I see where people are coming from when they say they love it.
---
This is the internet, all opinions are considered invalid.
#8DampeThePoeHuntPosted 4/23/2013 7:12:58 PM
I ask myself that same question. It lacked quite alot in my opinion. It was too straight foward.
---
Extremist: (insert ridiculous Nintendo insult here.) 3DS FC: 5413-1158-6036 Name: John
#9LLL_DeadlyPosted 4/24/2013 2:56:15 AM
Dude, you made a topic before saying the Ancient Cistern sucks >_> Just let it go.
---
http://i.imgur.com/EgKg7Rj.gif
#10CatMutoPosted 4/24/2013 3:06:05 AM
LLL_Deadly posted...
Dude, you made a topic before saying the Ancient Cistern sucks >_> Just let it go.

There's a difference between creating a topic to simply say "It sucks" but this is more about finding out why other people think it's so great. iKhanic listed the reasons why he thought it wasn't a good dungeon, but still asked why others thought it was great.

C-A
---
"If sense were common, everyone would have it."