I want to play this game again.

#1HeroicSomaCruzPosted 4/25/2013 11:11:23 PM
I just don't want to have the repeat the fetch quests and relentless backtracking to enjoy it.
---
http://tinyurl.com/ckb9ykw
http://www.gamerhandles.com/sig/Durango.jpg
#2NameNotKnownPosted 4/25/2013 11:30:06 PM
Watch someone play it.
---
NameNotKnown
#3CatMutoPosted 4/26/2013 3:57:50 AM
HeroicSomaCruz posted...
I just don't want to have the repeat the fetch quests and relentless backtracking to enjoy it.

NameNotKnown posted...
Watch someone play it.

That's... basically the only thing you can do.
Unless you choose to play parts in a game that you don't like. I mean, it's not that difficult. I have parts in several games I don't like to play - for various reasons, depending on the game and part - but if you really want to play the game, you go through those bits.

C-A
---
"If sense were common, everyone would have it."
The gamer who isn't afraid of admitting to disliking the so-called Best Games of their Generation
#4HeroicSomaCruz(Topic Creator)Posted 4/26/2013 5:54:53 AM
Quote:HeroicSomaCruz posted...

NameNotKnown posted...
Watch someone play it.

That's... basically the only thing you can do.
Unless you choose to play parts in a game that you don't like. I mean, it's not that difficult. I have parts in several games I don't like to play - for various reasons, depending on the game and part - but if you really want to play the game, you go through those bits.

C-A

@CatMuto

They're not near as frequent or as bad. MGS3 has one long part that can't end quickly enough. 9.5 game otherwise.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerGuides 1.10
#5CatMutoPosted 4/26/2013 7:51:18 AM
HeroicSomaCruz posted...
They're not near as frequent or as bad. MGS3 has one long part that can't end quickly enough. 9.5 game otherwise.

Well you sound like you want a game that has not a single, boring, overly long or bad part in it. Whether it be fetch quest, story arc, character scene you can't skip... you will run into them in every game. It's just a matter of getting through them.
Abyss, a game that I absolutely love, has several parts in it that I can't stand to play through - either because of character death that I don't want to see, boring backtracking just to get another plot scene - but you still have to play through them. And parts of those "romantic scenes" between Luke and Tear are just as bad to get through as some of the fetch quests in Skyward.
So... really, why play the game if you know you'll stop and not go on, just because you don't want to play the boring parts?

C-A
---
The gamer who isn't afraid of admitting to disliking the so-called Best Games of their Generation
#6Da DoodPosted 4/26/2013 8:40:59 AM
Just give it a try. I also hated the padding my first time through, but in replays the game flows a little better. Especially if you play on Hero difficulty... you can skip a lot of cutscenes and the Skyward Strike starts at full power.

I pretty much had to convince myself that there is no speeding through this game. I ended up having a good time with that mindset. One session to enter the dungeon, then one session for the dungeon + exploration with the new item, repeat.
---
And this time!
#7surferguy7Posted 4/26/2013 5:01:37 PM
So like, am I the only one who finds the first three pre-dungeon fetch quests enjoyable? It's not like there aren't puzzles/areas to keep you stimulated. The only section that drags on is the 3rd -> 4th dungeon segment.
---
This is the internet, all opinions are considered invalid.
#8HeroicSomaCruz(Topic Creator)Posted 4/26/2013 8:50:21 PM
Quote:HeroicSomaCruz posted...

Well you sound like you want a game that has not a single, boring, overly long or bad part in it. Whether it be fetch quest, story arc, character scene you can't skip... you will run into them in every game. It's just a matter of getting through them.
Abyss, a game that I absolutely love, has several parts in it that I can't stand to play through - either because of character death that I don't want to see, boring backtracking just to get another plot scene - but you still have to play through them. And parts of those "romantic scenes" between Luke and Tear are just as bad to get through as some of the fetch quests in Skyward.
So... really, why play the game if you know you'll stop and not go on, just because you don't want to play the boring parts?

C-A

@CatMuto

Super Mario RPG
ALttP
Castlevania SotN
Paper Mario
SSBM
Super Metroid
Eternal Sonata

Some games just have better level design than others. The difference is the bad parts are scattered throughout SS.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerGuides 1.10
#9MachachanPosted 4/26/2013 11:34:28 PM(edited)
you will run into them in every game.

Actually, properly designed games don't have them at all. So no, you certainly aren't going to run into them in "every game".

I would replay SS if the hero mode cut the totorial nonsense, the flying and the fetch stuff that makes you repeat parts. Some weren't really bad (finding the weird animals in the forest was fine, since it was really just exploring the forest), but the hero mode really could have been used to trim the useless fat here.
#10CatMutoPosted 4/27/2013 3:38:19 AM
Machachan posted...
you will run into them in every game.

Actually, properly designed games don't have them at all. So no, you certainly aren't going to run into them in "every game".

I would replay SS if the hero mode cut the totorial nonsense, the flying and the fetch stuff that makes you repeat parts. Some weren't really bad (finding the weird animals in the forest was fine, since it was really just exploring the forest), but the hero mode really could have been used to trim the useless fat here.

Good part in Hero Mode is that you can skip several scenes. The flying tutorial.... eh. Some people on the forum seem to still have trouble figuring out how to fly the bird, so maybe the tutorial isn't that bad to keep.
I'm just glad that I can skip the damn Sealing Scene. Asstastically boring scene.

Useless fat? You mean like having to descend into Eldin to get the propeller for the windmill thing? Yeah, but then, I never understood how Link requires Scapper to carry that. I mean, Link can fit a whip, bug net, beetle, bow and arrow, etc, etc into his pouch but not a propeller?
Personally, I wish I could skip certain parts in dungeons - ie. any fight with an underground worm. I'm claustrophobic, so I already dislike the parts where I'm underneath and the worms just makes it more annoying.

C-A
---