Would...

#1shadowreaper7Posted 7/14/2013 1:30:26 AM
The addition of a button input in tandem with the gyro wii mote controls improve the control the user would have?

This came to me literally a few minutes ago.

The problem most people have with the controls is that they are too inaccurate for their liking, and while i'm on the side of they aren't that bad, i have of course found myself at times trying to be quick and get a hit before the defence changes, and have used the wrong slice (but performing the right slice action) and took damage or been forced to jump back to avoid damage.

However, for the most part. I feel that the Motion controls were a step in the right direction. They're slightly more intuitive than pressing a button or in twilight princess running around like a maniac and using the wrist to waggle in any direction to perform the same type of slashes.

If however, you add a button into the mix, and for all intensive purposes i'm going to suggest that it be the "A" button.

In the field, holding the "A" button will have no effect on your slashes. You can use any movement to perform the skyward strikes in any direction be it horizontal, vertical or diagonal.

If however you enter battle and lock on to an enemy, i propose that holding the "A" button at any time changes the angle of your sword.
For example.

In battle if you do not hold the A button and Z-target the enemy. You can perform Horizontal and vertical slashes along with a Horizontal spin attack.

In battle if you hold the A button and Z-target the enemy. Link will perform diagonal slices 100% of the time. Even if the angling is a little off. But the direction ofc would still be effected which is what is most important. You should always be swinging in the right direction more than you should be swinging as horizontally as possible to perform the correct slash for example.
He would also perform a Vertical spin attack instead of horizontal when shaking the remote & nunchuck
Holding A and thrusting forward would also be a better way of initiating a Stab as it'd be difficult for the game to register this as any of the diagonal slices.

I'm probably going to be the only one, but i think it'd be better if they were split into separate systems with them being affected by a button press and holding it in. That way if you suddenly have to change the angle. You just let go of or push the button back in.

I put this forward because the controls have the unfortunate disposition of having to interpret the movement, and the problem with interpretation, is that it does what you think it meant, and this is not always what you meant.

Would anyone else think this would have been a better way of implementing the system?
Any better ideas? (Aside from - use classic controller or words to this effect)

Lets try not to bash the controls either, they've got faults we've acknowledged that. They've made me throw my wii mote in anger on one occasion on the final ________ battle. Not stabbing... ugh.
Ahem. But yeah lets try not to bash.
---
Black 2 FC: 1077 - 9701 - 9188
Author of the Starfox Story on the Starfox Assault board. Check it out! Don't Fear the Reaper
#2CatMutoPosted 7/14/2013 3:23:22 AM(edited)
I stand by it, the controls worked just fine for me. I never had any of the problems everybody on this damn forum seemed to constantly be b****ing about. So everybody else's problem must either be a defect WiiMote, Plus Adaptor or just plain being incapable of doing the damn movements properly.

No more waggling like crazy like in TP, people.

As for your suggestion... seems a bit dumb.
Holding down a button the entire time during a battle would be strainious on the hand or digits and we're already doing that with the Z Targeting. Thankfully, Wind Waker gave us the option to not have to hold L down the entire time for targeting.

And I'll also say that the fanbase, if the button thing were to be implented, would complain about that, too. It would probably be along the lines of "What, you think we're too stupid to slice properly?" (given what I've read at times, it really seems to be the case) or the "Oh sure, take a middle ground of button control and motion control, trying to please everybody. Well I'm not pleased, so now nobody will like it!"

Isn't the fanbase of games just wonderful?

Do I have a suggestion what else could be done?
Yeah, take the game away from the ones who constantly complain about it, hopefully it'll shut them up.

C-A
---
9 out of 10 voices are telling me I'm sane
Voice number 10 is humming the Chocobo Theme
#3Krazoa2Posted 7/14/2013 7:35:05 AM
I dunno, seems a bit unconventional to me. Your system actually seems pretty confusing if the slashes you're making aren't what are actually happening on screen. I think this is a bit too much hand-holding, which ironically sounds like it's what everyone wants despite them constantly complaining about Fi and all that, but I don't think it would actually benefit the game.

I've actually thought you should have to hold a button down, say B, in order for your slashes to register at all. So, say you wanted to do two downslashes. You'd bring your arm up, hold B, slash down, let go of B, bring the arm back up as fast as you want, hold B, then slash down again.

This would clear up the only issue I had with the sword fighting, which was accidentally slashing the opposite way I wanted from bringing my hand to the proper position too fast. Though, I don't know how easy it'd be to hold and let go of B at the right times in conjunction to your arm movements. They do want to keep it simple enough for the kiddies after all.
---
I don't even read -YouStillHateMe
#4TrueBlue91Posted 7/14/2013 10:06:07 AM
CatMuto posted...
Thankfully, Wind Waker gave us the option to not have to hold L down the entire time for targeting.

So this pretty much confirms you never actually played OOT then.
---
Pour grammer annoy's me
#5CatMutoPosted 7/14/2013 11:40:10 AM
TrueBlue91 posted...
CatMuto posted...
Thankfully, Wind Waker gave us the option to not have to hold L down the entire time for targeting.

So this pretty much confirms you never actually played OOT then.

Oh no, how dare I not mention every single Zelda game that might give me that option? I played OoT several times, I just didn't mention it in my previous post because that never had a part in it where I had to hold the targeting button for a prolonged period of time.
For Wind Waker you had to, the example I'm thinking of being the Beat Orca Up opportunity on Windfall.

C-A
---
#6WilliamAdamsPosted 7/14/2013 6:35:28 PM
No.

There've been button-mashing and joystick attempts at swordfighting games since Swashbuckler on the Apple ][ --- Nintendo finally delivered on their promise of this w/ Wii Sports Resort and Skyward Sword (Red Steel 2 was a nice bonus) --- anything less is a step backward.
---
It's not paranoia if the Random Number Generator is really out to get you.
Red Steel 2/Conduit/Goldeneye/Skyward Sword/VK:Eldar Saga/Xenoblade/The Last Story
#7DunadainPosted 7/14/2013 8:24:11 PM
Perhaps; however I still miss having a CONTROLLER for my games, rather than a motion wand gimick to wave around.

I haven't played SS yet (just finished TP & found SS), but I have been missing having a real controller, and not amazoning the gamecube version, every hour I put into it!
---
(This signature deleted by order of Dept. of Homeland Security and NSA. An IRS audit has been initiated. You may be summoned to testify.)
#8Faliz18Posted 7/17/2013 8:35:29 PM
If the idea of motion controls was to engage the player, they f***ing failed. Dark Souls is 100x more engaging than SS while still retaining the feeling that the developers respect you as an intelligent person.
---
PSN- Faliz XBL-Faliz18
Anticipating Halo 5, Zelda Wii U, Elder Scrolls VI, Destiny, Dark Souls II
#9CatMutoPosted 7/18/2013 1:22:14 AM
Faliz18 posted...
If the idea of motion controls was to engage the player, they f***ing failed. Dark Souls is 100x more engaging than SS while still retaining the feeling that the developers respect you as an intelligent person.

Zelda games are for all ages and players. I doubt 'little kids' will play Dark Souls.
At least, the littles kids whose parents are not complete morons and buy them stuff like Dark Souls to play or La Blue Girl because it's a 'cartoon' although La Blue Girl is OBVIOUSLY an 18 + thing.

C-A
---
#10Krazoa2Posted 7/18/2013 7:52:42 AM(edited)
CatMuto posted...
Zelda games are for all ages and players. I doubt 'little kids' will play Dark Souls.
At least, the littles kids whose parents are not complete morons and buy them stuff like Dark Souls to play or La Blue Girl because it's a 'cartoon' although La Blue Girl is OBVIOUSLY an 18 + thing.

C-A

Why would you doubt it in the same post that's directed to one?

Also, I played violent enough games as a kid. Giving your kids violent video games isn't bad parenting, bad parenting causes giving your kids violent video games to be a bad thing. But...who the hell did the latter of what you're talking about?...

Faliz18 posted...

LOL. Even in the beginning of the game they try to underhandedly trick you into going the wrong direction so you get your ass handed to you and praise the game for being "difficult". That could only be written by someone who truly doesn't understand a thing about they games they are playing.
---
I don't even read -YouStillHateMe