Story leaves a lot to be desired (spoilers)

#1duality48Posted 7/15/2013 10:22:56 PM
After having high hopes for what was heralded as LoZ's "Great origin story", after finally getting around to beating it today I have to say I'm sorely disappointed. Loved the controls and gameplay was on par for a Zelda game, so no complaints there. But really, what was added here story wise? Besides the addition of a couple more cutscenes as opposed to TP, the story seemed like typical Zelda fare. Predictable up to the very end, with the only "new" thing about it was adding a couple new boss characters, one who only shows up for 10 mins screen time mind you.

The only thing that actually makes it an origin story is that it is set first on the timeline. Other than that it really didn't explain much of anything. I can't wait for the day when Nintendo isn't afraid to try something different with the Zelda formula, hopefully including a story that isn't just a rehash of the same story floating around in this series for generations now.
---
3DS code: 1461-6312-8268
#2CatMutoPosted 7/16/2013 1:19:48 AM(edited)
That's a problem reviewers have when they review this game. They mention either that the story is so great and important or that romance between Zelda and Link is important. Truth is, both of those things - story and romance - practically disappear as soon as you hit the Surface and you return to the typical Zelda gameplay.

I'm sure Nintendo wanted Skyward to be more story-focused, but they failed at it. It explaines very, very little for being an origin story, but what much is there to explain for an origin story? Demise mentions a curse... which definitely means a ton from a guy who decided to show his Big Boss self shortly before the game and was a huge disappointment as a threat compared to Ghirahim.

But then... what do players expect from Zelda games, story wise?
None of the previous Zelda games were that focused on story, either. There was story and it was briefly mentioned off and on, but it wasn't important. What was important in Zelda games, was the gameplay.
But I'll mention like above, Nintendo probably tried to focus on story, but failed.

C-A
---
9 out of 10 voices are telling me I'm sane
Voice number 10 is humming the Chocobo Theme
#3DrumguyPosted 7/16/2013 9:24:26 AM
duality48 posted...

The only thing that actually makes it an origin story is that it is set first on the timeline. Other than that it really didn't explain much of anything.

Don't forget the hints about the coming of Ganondorf near the end.
---
"I never went to church. I just listened to Led Zeppelin and that was all I needed." - Dave Grohl
#4CatMutoPosted 7/16/2013 11:47:21 AM
Drumguy posted...
duality48 posted...

The only thing that actually makes it an origin story is that it is set first on the timeline. Other than that it really didn't explain much of anything.

Why does everybody say it specifically refers to Ganondorf? Demise said his hatred would be reincarnated which could refer to Ganondorf. But Ganny isn't the only big bad guy the Zelda games have ever seen and he isn't the final boss in all the Zelda games, either.
Demise's hatred reincarnated as several bad guys, including Vaati and Aganhim - or however you spell him - not just Ganondorf.

C-A
---
#5DrumguyPosted 7/16/2013 2:45:27 PM(edited)
CatMuto posted...
Drumguy posted...
duality48 posted...

Why does everybody say it specifically refers to Ganondorf? Demise said his hatred would be reincarnated which could refer to Ganondorf. But Ganny isn't the only big bad guy the Zelda games have ever seen and he isn't the final boss in all the Zelda games, either.
Demise's hatred reincarnated as several bad guys, including Vaati and Aganhim - or however you spell him - not just Ganondorf.

C-A

Yikes. It's just a video game.
---
"I never went to church. I just listened to Led Zeppelin and that was all I needed." - Dave Grohl
#6TallWhiteNinjaPosted 7/16/2013 9:19:00 PM
Needed to rant about this somewhere:

My main issue with the story is what they did to the Triforce. You know, the thing that in the other games is virtually impossible to obtain and established to be insanely powerful. For once, you actually get to obtain the entire thing through the course of gameplay (as opposed to just the Triforce of Courage, and only getting it as part of the ending), and what do you do with this amazing power?

You hit the villain with a rock. A big rock, but a rock (which begs the question: if Hylia put Skyloft up there in the first place, couldn't she just drop it back down on top of the seal herself? Was she too drained fighting Demise at that point, or did the Triforce need to give the big rock that extra bit of "oomph?") And then it sits there, while you run off to the final confrontation without it. A bit underwhelming, turns out.
---
Either the worst great player or the best horrible player you'll ever meet.
#7CatMutoPosted 7/17/2013 12:22:33 AM
TallWhiteNinja posted...
My main issue with the story is what they did to the Triforce. You know, the thing that in the other games is virtually impossible to obtain and established to be insanely powerful. For once, you actually get to obtain the entire thing through the course of gameplay (as opposed to just the Triforce of Courage, and only getting it as part of the ending), and what do you do with this amazing power?

You hit the villain with a rock. A big rock, but a rock (which begs the question: if Hylia put Skyloft up there in the first place, couldn't she just drop it back down on top of the seal herself? Was she too drained fighting Demise at that point, or did the Triforce need to give the big rock that extra bit of "oomph?") And then it sits there, while you run off to the final confrontation without it. A bit underwhelming, turns out.

I was gonna say, this isn't the first time you obtain the whole Triforce, but you did elaborate on that, so you are technically right. It is the first time we obtain the whole thing in a 3D Zelda game, though.

As for that second bit, I will always blame Hylia for that. Especially since we're told several times that we should always, always and always fulfill Hylia's wish with the Triforce. Personally, I think Link just wanted a new pair of boots - damn Silent Realms' running around ruined them - but no, Hylia still has Link do all her s*** because she absolutely fails at everything she was supposed to do.

Although I don't think Link could've taken the Triforce into the past. Isn't it an omnipresent thing and wouldn't the universe implode if two Triforces (would that make it a Hexaforce?) were in the same era? (Then again, I asked the same thing with sealed Zelda and soulless Zelda in the same era before)

C-A
---
#8Krazoa2Posted 7/17/2013 1:16:14 AM
CatMuto posted...
But then... what do players expect from Zelda games, story wise?
None of the previous Zelda games were that focused on story, either. There was story and it was briefly mentioned off and on, but it wasn't important. What was important in Zelda games, was the gameplay.

^This. There isn't much to even explain to begin with, and I personally felt this still had the most story explanation of any of the other Zelda games. So, did it have more emphasis on the story than the other games? I believe so.

I just really want to know, what the hell is that Goron doing there? I mean if other Gorons existed, that'd be fine, but he's like...the only living Goron at that time. He shouldn't have been in the game.
---
I don't even read -YouStillHateMe
#9duality48(Topic Creator)Posted 7/17/2013 3:05:29 PM
Not to mention the horrible character that is Fi, if you can even call her that. She's more akin to an AI program than an actual character! Completely one dimensional, and a disappointment after seeing how much they did with Midna. And also, regarding the relationship between Link and Zelda, which is where a lot of the reviewers got their notion for "the best and most complex story of all the Zelda's", I really just don't see it. I feel like they did no better than the Tetra/Zelda story thread in Wind Waker. Heck, I even liked that one better! At least there was some mystery and even what could be called a plot twist included in that one!
---
3DS code: 1461-6312-8268
#10Faliz18Posted 7/17/2013 7:25:16 PM
duality48 posted...
Not to mention the horrible character that is Fi, if you can even call her that. She's more akin to an AI program than an actual character! Completely one dimensional, and a disappointment after seeing how much they did with Midna. And also, regarding the relationship between Link and Zelda, which is where a lot of the reviewers got their notion for "the best and most complex story of all the Zelda's", I really just don't see it. I feel like they did no better than the Tetra/Zelda story thread in Wind Waker. Heck, I even liked that one better! At least there was some mystery and even what could be called a plot twist included in that one!

Cortana>Fi

Yeah the story sucked. It was just "Save Zelda". At this point, the developers need to do just that.
---
PSN- Faliz XBL-Faliz18
Anticipating Halo 5, Zelda Wii U, Elder Scrolls VI, Destiny, Dark Souls II