Story leaves a lot to be desired (spoilers)

#11Shadowfire14Posted 7/17/2013 10:59:22 PM
Faliz18 posted...
duality48 posted...
Not to mention the horrible character that is Fi, if you can even call her that. She's more akin to an AI program than an actual character! Completely one dimensional, and a disappointment after seeing how much they did with Midna. And also, regarding the relationship between Link and Zelda, which is where a lot of the reviewers got their notion for "the best and most complex story of all the Zelda's", I really just don't see it. I feel like they did no better than the Tetra/Zelda story thread in Wind Waker. Heck, I even liked that one better! At least there was some mystery and even what could be called a plot twist included in that one!

Cortana>Fi

Yeah the story sucked. It was just "Save Zelda". At this point, the developers need to do just that.

Cortana is interesting in that she represents a counterpoint to John's cold and calculating nature. In Halo 4, she's set up to be the focal point of the story that everything revolves around. You as Master Chief are not the driving force of the plot so much as you're the means by which the plot is pushed forward. Cortana serves to illustrate that an artificial being is more likened to life itself when specifically designed to be a copy of a living being (read: Doctor Halsey), while the same could be mirrored on to John, who was raised and designed to be military killbots and riot suppressors.

Cortana is infinitely more interesting than Fi, but only because she's the focal point of her story. Fi is more or less you're GPS unit who's job is to make sure you are going in the right direction. But to be fair, the story of Halo 4 was essentially "Cortana loses her mind while some aliens once again try to invade Earth."
---
Mage of Mind || Feesh of Jungle || http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/duty_calls.png
"The League of Yordles, plus one fish." - FoxyAreku
#12CatMutoPosted 7/18/2013 1:20:26 AM
Not to mention the horrible character that is Fi, if you can even call her that. She's more akin to an AI program than an actual character!

You do realize that Fi was supposed to appear like a robot and not a 'human' character?

And also, regarding the relationship between Link and Zelda, which is where a lot of the reviewers got their notion for "the best and most complex story of all the Zelda's", I really just don't see it.

Exactly! When I look at a review for Skyward, I keep hearing "I actually cared about Zelda" or "The relationship between Zelda and Link is amazing", "I like the romance they (finally) brought in between Zelda and Link"
And I always wonder, did we play the same game?
What romance? There's a hint that Zelda has at least a crush on Link, but after she's gone, that disappears.

C-A
---
9 out of 10 voices are telling me I'm sane
Voice number 10 is humming the Chocobo Theme
#13Krazoa2Posted 7/18/2013 7:39:34 AM
Faliz18 posted...
Cortana>Fi

Yeah the story sucked. It was just "Save Zelda". At this point, the developers need to do just that.

So you hate a robot that constantly interrupts you and slows you down to give you information, but like a robot that constantly interrupts you and slows you down because she's going "insane". That's logic for you.
---
I don't even read -YouStillHateMe
#14KeryAdamsPosted 7/18/2013 9:14:25 AM
Yeah, billing it an "origin story" was a huge mistake.

The first Link just is. He's a student at the knight academy. Okay. Why? How did he get there? In a world of only about 20 people, how does he still have no family? You can't just leave that unexplained and be surprised when people question it. Speaking of, why do they even have a knight academy? Who are they fighting, the cats? The Master Sword was made from some other sword. Ganon isn't even in the game.

Oh, and this isn't even the first "legendary hero." The whole reason that Zelda needed an origin story at all is because they always use the cop-out excuse of tradition. "You have to wear this green outfit because a hero did it long ago." "You're the hero because you're descended from a previous hero." At the very beginning of the game, Zelda gives Link the sailcloth because "this is how the goddess did it for her chosen hero long ago." Thanks for the origin story, jerks.
---
GT/PSN: Owngineer
____________Invalid_Opinions_Below_This_Line____________
#15Shadowfire14Posted 7/18/2013 1:37:47 PM
Krazoa2 posted...
Faliz18 posted...
Cortana>Fi

So you hate a robot that constantly interrupts you and slows you down to give you information, but like a robot that constantly interrupts you and slows you down because she's going "insane". That's logic for you.

At no point does Cortana stop gameplay and talk to you because she's having an episode.
---
Mage of Mind || Feesh of Jungle || http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/duty_calls.png
"The League of Yordles, plus one fish." - FoxyAreku
#16CatMutoPosted 7/18/2013 4:45:18 PM
KeryAdams posted...

The first Link just is. He's a student at the knight academy. Okay. Why? How did he get there? In a world of only about 20 people, how does he still have no family? You can't just leave that unexplained and be surprised when people question it. Speaking of, why do they even have a knight academy? Who are they fighting, the cats? The Master Sword was made from some other sword. Ganon isn't even in the game.

Ghz... it's because Ganon(dorf) is NOT the ONLY villain in the F***ING Zelda series! Yes, Ganondorf is important as he's, for some whacky reason the Gods never really reveal, chosen as the Triforce of Power wielder in certain games - and that only since Ocarina.
But he's not the only villain to ever have appeared in the Zelda series. There were other villains.

As for why Link has no family... his parents were old when he was born and died by the time we see him grow up? His parents died from a disease/falling off without getting rescued/etc and a grandparent raised him, but died before the game starts?
Other characters are without parents - several from Skyloft, including semi-important character Groose, have no visible parents anywhere. Why does it bother you so much about Link? In Twilight Princess, he had no family. In Ocarina, he had no family. (Technicality: he has no 'really living' family) Why does it bother you about Skyward so much?

Why is there a knight academy, good question, have you looked at Skyloft at night? That is infested with monsters, sure seem like nothing to Link who has fought Ghirahim on the Surface along with Stalfos and dozens of Bokoblin, but they could be intimidating to Skyloft people who saw nothing worse. (The Thunderhead being closed off) The sky has those weird tentacles spitting rocks at you, you will probably need experienced and trained flyers or fighters to handle those, given how everybody is flying around the sky all the time. Plus, there are knights solely trained for the purpose of grabbing people who fall, jump or otherwise get off Skyloft, those need training.

C-A
---
9 out of 10 voices are telling me I'm sane
Voice number 10 is humming the Chocobo Theme
#17Krazoa2Posted 7/18/2013 6:39:24 PM(edited)
Shadowfire14 posted...
Krazoa2 posted...
Faliz18 posted...
Cortana>Fi

At no point does Cortana stop gameplay and talk to you because she's having an episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbn35I-ImYs
---
#18Krazoa2Posted 7/18/2013 6:46:30 PM
CatMuto posted...
Ghz... it's because Ganon(dorf) is NOT the ONLY villain in the F***ING Zelda series! Yes, Ganondorf is important as he's, for some whacky reason the Gods never really reveal, chosen as the Triforce of Power wielder in certain games - and that only since Ocarina.
But he's not the only villain to ever have appeared in the Zelda series. There were other villains.

I think Ganondorf is the one who found the Triforce, and whoever finds it gets the piece that most fits their personality, then the other two fly off to those that were chosen for those pieces. Whether he was actually chosen to hold the Power piece though, I dunno.
---
#19KeryAdamsPosted 7/19/2013 6:28:39 AM
CatMuto posted...
KeryAdams posted...

As for why Link has no family... his parents were old when he was born and died by the time we see him grow up? His parents died from a disease/falling off without getting rescued/etc and a grandparent raised him, but died before the game starts?
Other characters are without parents - several from Skyloft, including semi-important character Groose, have no visible parents anywhere. Why does it bother you so much about Link? In Twilight Princess, he had no family. In Ocarina, he had no family. (Technicality: he has no 'really living' family) Why does it bother you about Skyward so much?

Why is there a knight academy, good question, have you looked at Skyloft at night? That is infested with monsters, sure seem like nothing to Link who has fought Ghirahim on the Surface along with Stalfos and dozens of Bokoblin, but they could be intimidating to Skyloft people who saw nothing worse. (The Thunderhead being closed off) The sky has those weird tentacles spitting rocks at you, you will probably need experienced and trained flyers or fighters to handle those, given how everybody is flying around the sky all the time. Plus, there are knights solely trained for the purpose of grabbing people who fall, jump or otherwise get off Skyloft, those need training.

C-A

It bothers me because it's the origin story. It's supposed to answer questions, not create more. TP didn't give Link a family, but it did give him a fairly complete life and also had people living all over the world, leaving the possibility open that his family is out there somewhere. Ocarina explains exactly what happened to Link's family. SS is more questionable because it blatantly tells you that there are roughly two dozen humans in the entire world, and here they are. They're not related, none of them have any family, they just are. That's bad writing.

Lol at "monsters." What monsters, the cat that only attacks Link, or the bats that only stay in the one cave no one ever goes into? Falling? Build a damn railing with your infinite supply of lumber (despite there being very few trees, and no space for very many ever to have existed, there are wooden structures everywhere). If you still fall somehow, call your damn bird. It's really stupid that if you jump off a dock, you can call your bird and it's fine, but if you miss it by an inch and jump off the grass, you get a condescending lecture.

Bad game is bad.
---
GT/PSN: Owngineer
____________Invalid_Opinions_Below_This_Line____________
#20Krazoa2Posted 7/19/2013 6:48:39 AM
KeryAdams posted...
It bothers me because it's the origin story. It's supposed to answer questions, not create more. TP didn't give Link a family, but it did give him a fairly complete life and also had people living all over the world, leaving the possibility open that his family is out there somewhere. Ocarina explains exactly what happened to Link's family. SS is more questionable because it blatantly tells you that there are roughly two dozen humans in the entire world, and here they are. They're not related, none of them have any family, they just are. That's bad writing.

Lol at "monsters." What monsters, the cat that only attacks Link, or the bats that only stay in the one cave no one ever goes into? Falling? Build a damn railing with your infinite supply of lumber (despite there being very few trees, and no space for very many ever to have existed, there are wooden structures everywhere). If you still fall somehow, call your damn bird. It's really stupid that if you jump off a dock, you can call your bird and it's fine, but if you miss it by an inch and jump off the grass, you get a condescending lecture.

Bad game is bad.

Don't worry, that'll be explained in the sequel. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Parents. You get to play as either Link's father, or his mother. You can do various activity such as, standing around in or outside the house, conversing with Link whenever he comes to you and speaks to you, and asking Link to do chores around the house for you. Be careful though, you'll have to give 20 Rupees to Link if you choose that 3rd option. Nintendo's coming out with this game because they feel there needs to be a very strong focus on this one incarnation of Link's parents because this is a very serious story, not just some fun little video game fairytale and it really does matter an amount at all

Bad player is bad.
He doesn't even know there's a night time in this game, even after being told so. Not to mention he's basically saying it makes no sense for people to have guards for their village.
---