Interesting interview that talks about the difficulty a bit.

#81overmaxxPosted 1/30/2013 6:03:19 PM
doraemonllh1989 posted...
RichterB17 posted...
doraemonllh1989 posted...
overmaxx posted...
Billysan posted...
Has long has they didn't carry this ideology into the harder modes I'm fine.

The game should be fully accessible to MGS fans has well so I don't mind it in easy and normal.

Funny thing is, I can beat Bayonetta on Non-stop climax and I can finish Dark Souls in less than 2 hours, but when I play a Metal Gear Solid game, I cannot for the life of me progress without being seen or screwing things up, even on Normal.

Different set of skills, I guess.

finish dark souls in 2 hours?sounds BS to me

Sounds reasonable. People have finish it faster I believe.

but i thought they at least played several times to achieve that speed run?

Well, obviously.
#82AnderjakPosted 1/30/2013 6:04:10 PM
A lot of my friends who are coming in from the MGS franchise into Revengeance don't really deal in hack-and-slash titles. They've never been in it for the difficulty. Sometimes, the mechanics are just fun, even when it's not terribly challenging. "Challenge" is not the only reason people play games.

I also have a few friends who have difficulty with interacting with a controller in the first place, despite years of effort. They can handle games like Spiral Knights, but once you get too many functions at once, it becomes extremely difficult to deal with. I have a friend with Asperger's who has a lot of trouble with games even like Fable II -- took him years to work his way up from simpler games, and he still can't play anything with a lot of different commands. It's just not the way his brain is wired.

Something like an Easy mode would be right up his alley, and for my friends who don't have my kind of reflexes. Games like Bayonetta and DMC are usual fodder for me, but I'm USED to those games -- I know what to expect from them. Many other people can't get into them because of how painful they can be.

If it's a different difficulty that you don't even have to access, and it's been altered to fit them rather than altering the rest of the game to fit everyone at once, there shouldn't be a problem.

Making it easier for someone to just beat the game shouldn't be worth getting so defensive about, especially since they've confirmed the rest of the game is largely untouched. It shouldn't be a problem, and it shouldn't be worth keeping a bunch of people out of gaming as a hobby.

It's a mentality that has gotten worse over the years. The cause of it is plain ol' entitlement due to dedication -- people have poured so much of their time into getting good at games that any perceived lowering of the bar is taken as a threat against their hobby, that their achievements are lesser now that anyone can jump in. You wonder why mobile games get so much attention, and it's because they're accessible whereas numerous console games aren't nearly as much -- if we put a little extra development time into each game to allow for an introductory difficulty and cater the rest of the games to those who've been playing them for years, there'd be a lot more gamers in the world, and maybe there wouldn't be this schism toward gamer culture being obnoxious and volatile.

I agree that we shouldn't make hard games generally and globally easier just to suit everyone, but making an extra difficulty for those who just want to enjoy the story shouldn't even be an issue -- we shouldn't even be having this argument when a developer puts in EXTRA TIME to cater to everyone and does it in a reasonably intuitive way that doesn't harm the core user's experience.
---
An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.
#83CymerianPosted 1/30/2013 6:06:21 PM
MwarriorHiei posted...
This hand holding is annoying, but I guess the casual scrubs do deserve to be able to play a game they purchase. I just wish they kept all the "make it easier" tweaking in Easy mode.

and in Easy mode, Raiden will now parry attacks in semi-automatic fashion.

Obviously, but that's not the only tweak they made. I know it won't auto parry on Normal or above -.-. They hinted that they made other things easier, too.
---
Fanboys: I want Tales of-
Excalibur: Fool! What right do you have to want a tales game? My legend dates back to the 12th century!
#84MwarriorHieiPosted 1/30/2013 6:08:05 PM
making things easier =/= tweaking the difficulty. from the intereview, it looks like they made blade mode easier to control.
---
http://i.imgur.com/TQEciMP.jpg
#85CymerianPosted 1/30/2013 6:11:46 PM
MwarriorHiei posted...
making things easier =/= tweaking the difficulty. from the intereview, it looks like they made blade mode easier to control.

Because it was hard to begin with? You already had face buttons for horizontal and vertical slices. Defend away, though. I'm all for easy modes for scrubs. I think if you buy a game, you should be able to access all of its content. Just keep that crap in the easy mode.
---
Fanboys: I want Tales of-
Excalibur: Fool! What right do you have to want a tales game? My legend dates back to the 12th century!
#86MwarriorHieiPosted 1/30/2013 6:15:00 PM
o.O
controls should never be a major factor for difficulty.
---
http://i.imgur.com/TQEciMP.jpg
#87Chain_StrikePosted 1/30/2013 6:19:13 PM
Gamers these days....freaking spoon fed...that annoys me. So if Rev and hard are dumbed down due to "experince enjoyment" then that deserves redicule. You can experience the sotry and all that at higher diifficulties. Why do I have to suffer since casuals simply can't keep up? Leave them in the dust.
---
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxyjpeMrnZ1qcq2vho1_500.gif http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxyjpeMrnZ1qcq2vho2_500.gif The Juri Step. See it, love it.
#88RichterB17(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2013 6:27:58 PM
Chain_Strike posted...
Gamers these days....freaking spoon fed...that annoys me. So if Rev and hard are dumbed down due to "experince enjoyment" then that deserves redicule. You can experience the sotry and all that at higher diifficulties. Why do I have to suffer since casuals simply can't keep up? Leave them in the dust.

They never even said they did that. Like someone said Tweaking Difficulty =/= making it easier.
---
"They sowed their fate when they took this job.... I'm just the reaper" - Raiden
#89CaptainKatsuraPosted 1/30/2013 6:31:18 PM
It's not like it was that hard to parry.Sure,the controls didn't explain it well,but I managed to figure it out on my own by boss fight time.
---
Herp-a derp
#90Unpure_EuphoriaPosted 1/30/2013 6:34:35 PM
From: gamersince1993 | Posted: 1/30/2013 3:25:43 PM | #020
as for someone who grew up in a generation where the only difficulty was hard and likes a challenge,i dislike this article

As for someone who grew up in a generation where the only difficulty was hard and likes a challenge, I love the fact that developers are willing to try to make their game as balanced but dynamic as possible to cater to the widest possible audience, so many people can enjoy their works of art.
---
GT: iAmTheTot - No, really, I am. - http://tinyurl.com/bestgfaqstopic
http://lawlgaming.chatango.com/ - Live uncensored chat for gamers