Is there any chance this might be as good as DmC?

#61pho3nix90Posted 2/2/2013 7:31:15 AM
Yes it will, Kojima actually knows what he's doing
---
PSN: Phoenix90
#62ReceiverxWisdomPosted 2/2/2013 8:04:29 AM(edited)
DmC is spectacular (or shall I say SSSensational?) but I think this game will beat it, and you should look up some trailers. The game has better levels than just this little piece.

Better levels don't make a better game, nor does the broken style system label that game anywhere near the point of being sensational.

The words you're looking for are a "decent", "average" and "mediocre" product.

DmC is going against Metal Gear & the team behind Bayonetta (probably one of the best hack n' slash games this gen). I laugh at the folks who think an already low standard from this casual, brain castrating hill of s*** for a reboot can't be surpassed by the team who MADE BAYO and DMC1. Most asinine thought process on the entire f***ing internet.

The bottom line will remain factual: Rising will be too busy skullf***ing DmC's sales in February. (Sales that aren't even that superb, trolololol)

End of story.
---
"A rose best blooms near death. You're in full bloom, pal!" ~ Iori Yagami
PSN: LatinChris_9990
#63vgman94Posted 2/2/2013 8:49:11 AM
ReceiverxWisdom posted...
DmC is spectacular (or shall I say SSSensational?) but I think this game will beat it, and you should look up some trailers. The game has better levels than just this little piece.

Better levels don't make a better game, nor does the broken style system label that game anywhere near the point of being sensational.

DmC is going against Metal Gear & the team behind Bayonetta (probably one of the best hack n' slash games this gen). I laugh at the folks who think an already low standard from this casual, brain castrating hill of s*** for a reboot can't be surpassed by the team who MADE BAYO and DMC1. Most asinine thought process on the entire f***ing internet.

The bottom line will remain factual: Rising will be too busy skullf***ing DmC's sales in February. (Sales that aren't even that superb, trolololol)

End of story.

Broken style system? So you want only leet gamers who use lag cancels, femtosecond i-frame moves, Just Release techniques all the time and use parrying for most attacks to attain SSS ranks? This is why I was never into DMC until this point. The community is intolerable and act like college frat boys. The fact that Metal Gear may be flooded with these types of gamers is worrying. Bayonetta has a ton of moves and is enjoyable, but to say it's one of the best games just because it caters to leet fans is rather insulting. Rising may have better sales for a number of reasons, but DmC being "lower quality" is not one of them. The fact remains that "casuals" will continue to enjoy a modernized game with interesting characters and good gameplay. Gameplay that does it's job by being accessible, complex, makes you feel powerful (as any good action game should) and not catered to fans who enjoy masochistic frustrations or try too hard to make those frustrations easy for them (AKA: too much practice) and then say it should be doable for everyone else. End of story.
#64SonsaruPosted 2/2/2013 9:04:17 AM
Bayonetta is clearly the best hack & slash this gen by a mile. While Inaba is involved in Revengeance Kamiya is not so it's obviously going in a sightly different direction.

Well, the Style System is DmC is broken because you can go to SSS in about four moves. You don't really have to do anything "Stylish" to get there.

Using the word "harder" for the demo for Revengeance when compared to DmC would start all sorts of problems, but it is far more *engaging*. You have grunt enemies with *shock* more than one attack, and while they telepgraph their moves in the same way as in DmC, it takes a) half the time and b) they have multiple attacks, meaning some are still harder to deal with that others. Throw in a very easy to use lock-on camera and you're away.

The best DmC can do with the puppet enemies you spend half the game fighting is they sometimes add a second slash after their first one. That's it. And that first attack takes half an hour to pull off; the only danger is dodging too soon and not getting the silly "attack bonus for dodging." Didn't Bayonetta have cool "time slows down" for dodging worked seemlessly into the entire game? Just like Revengeance has seemless blocking / counterattacking?

Anyway. I thought I was enjoying DmC. I did kind of enjoy it. Then I played this demo a bit more. Watched some vids. Became more comfortable with the scope of the game. Yeah. I'll give you the enviornments in DmC are very nice, but all they actually bring to the gameplay is more samey platforming. Sliding into an enemy, knocking him off his feet, slowing down time and slicing him up as you pass beneath him, and then ripping out his innards to fill your own batteries? Nothing in DmC gameplay comes close to that experience.
---
More meat than web comics, less gristle than fanfics!
Totally original online fiction at www.armyofpuppets.com
#65prestodanielPosted 2/2/2013 9:14:57 AM
TC was unwise to post that topic here. half of the people on gamefaqs refuse to acknowledge DmC. no matter how great it is. in their close minded eyes it will always be a crap game. sad but true.
#665hadowsPosted 2/2/2013 9:31:45 AM
Dmc
-Take off elements that makes players familiar with the series.
-Introduces nothing news to the series.
-Has a jackass who is hated and hates everyone back as the lead designer
-General gameplay consists of killing people and a dumb platforming who isn't needed.
-You have to use certain weapons to kill certain enemies.
-Generic soundtrack with UGH dubstep.
-Regular bosses fights that doesn't make you feel rewarded when you win.

Rising
-Has elements that makes you familiar with the series, too many examples to mention.
-Has new elements such as Zandatsu, has the potential of creating a new level of gameplay in the HnS genre.
-Kojima is our man
-General gameplay consists of slashing people in every single way possible, with stealth elements who are actually borrowed from the previous series, making old fans actually get drawn to the game.
-Slash everything and anything the way you want
-Epic soundtrack with themes for each one of the bosses with lyrics that matches their personalities.
-The boss trailer can get you more pumped than the last boss of DmC.
---
Ill add something here later....
#67Super_Shot4006Posted 2/2/2013 10:20:12 AM
vgman94 posted...

End of story.

Broken style system? So you want only leet gamers who use lag cancels, femtosecond i-frame moves, Just Release techniques all the time and use parrying for most attacks to attain SSS ranks? This is why I was never into DMC until this point. The community is intolerable and act like college frat boys. The fact that Metal Gear may be flooded with these types of gamers is worrying. Bayonetta has a ton of moves and is enjoyable, but to say it's one of the best games just because it caters to leet fans is rather insulting. Rising may have better sales for a number of reasons, but DmC being "lower quality" is not one of them. The fact remains that "casuals" will continue to enjoy a modernized game with interesting characters and good gameplay. Gameplay that does it's job by being accessible, complex, makes you feel powerful (as any good action game should) and not catered to fans who enjoy masochistic frustrations or try too hard to make those frustrations easy for them (AKA: too much practice) and then say it should be doable for everyone else. End of story.

Why can't you accept the idea that some people like it when games actually give them a challenge? The problem with you ''casuals'' is that you never even try to go as far as mastering a game's mechanics. There is a reason as to why I personally loved mastering DMC3's mechanics and that is because it feels EXTREMELY rewarding.

Also, you seem to like it when a game plays itself basically (gameplay that makes you feel powerful?). If you want that, play your games on easy. What the guy above was trying to say is that the ranking system in DmC is basically useless because reaching a high score doesn't even mean anything since everybody can do it.

And by the way ''interesting characters'' ? Are you serious? I tried to give the characters a chance by playing through the game and honestly, there is absolutely nothing there.

*SPOILERS*

Kat is pretty much void of any personality, Mundus is an angry demon who is basically there just to be a bad guy (In DMC1 he at least showed some type of interaction by offering a choice to Dante), don't even get me started about how badly they ****ed up Vergil and I can go on.

Though that is my opinion and I respect yours. I'm just wondering how you could possibly say the characters are interesting.
#68RichterB17Posted 2/2/2013 11:01:58 AM
Super_Shot4006 posted...
vgman94 posted...

End of story.

Why can't you accept the idea that some people like it when games actually give them a challenge? The problem with you ''casuals'' is that you never even try to go as far as mastering a game's mechanics. There is a reason as to why I personally loved mastering DMC3's mechanics and that is because it feels EXTREMELY rewarding.

Also, you seem to like it when a game plays itself basically (gameplay that makes you feel powerful?). If you want that, play your games on easy. What the guy above was trying to say is that the ranking system in DmC is basically useless because reaching a high score doesn't even mean anything since everybody can do it.

And by the way ''interesting characters'' ? Are you serious? I tried to give the characters a chance by playing through the game and honestly, there is absolutely nothing there.

*SPOILERS*

Kat is pretty much void of any personality, Mundus is an angry demon who is basically there just to be a bad guy (In DMC1 he at least showed some type of interaction by offering a choice to Dante), don't even get me started about how badly they ****ed up Vergil and I can go on.

Though that is my opinion and I respect yours. I'm just wondering how you could possibly say the characters are interesting.

Don't forget that the only reason New Dante changed his attitude is because he wanted to have sex with Kat.
---
"They sowed their fate when they took this job.... I'm just the reaper" - Raiden
#69ScreamingMidgetPosted 2/2/2013 11:13:50 AM(edited)
The demo alone is a better game than DmC.

EDIT:
IsaacClarkBeast posted...
RichterB17 posted...
MGR will be better than that game you mentioned. Anything is better than that game you mentioned.

I have played both my friend. As big of a metal gear fan as I am, MGR:R isn't even close to how spectacular DmC is in combat, aesthetics, and music. Then again I am judging MGR:R by the demo alone. Hopefully the full game is surprisingly good.

Oh, obvious troll thread.
#70vgman94Posted 2/2/2013 11:38:11 AM
Super_Shot4006 posted...

*SPOILERS*

Yes extremely rewarding after many deaths and sometimes hours of extreme frustration. Does that make up for it? I can understand dying a couple of times (even 4-7 times), but wanting a game that kills you 10 times on every boss is not something I'd consider normal. I played Prototype 2, a game who's sole purpose is making you feel powerful, and I felt it was too easy because nothing allowed you to flex and test those powers to their full ability. This example differs from DmC greatly. Hey, "taking time" to "master" (waste time for most people) the game mechanics of one game (they differ from game to game within the same franchise) can take as much as 3-5 hours of near daily play time, which most people don't have the time nor reason to put some much work into such a pursuit. I don't mean to write that in a rude way, but there is a reason the DMC series was a niche type of game with a small fanbase (by successful series standards). Of course everybody can do it. Not many people would enjoy playing a game that basically insults them for being unable to get the highest rank or for new gamers, playing on the easiest difficulty (not that I personally ever do, however. I used to that with God of War and stopped by GOW3).

Kat is devoid of personality? Lol. I'll admit she needed more development and screentime, but her character as is isn't that bad. Her scenes in Chapter 5, her revelation of abuse by demons, and her final scene with Dante are all interesting and touching. It's not Metal Gear at all, but it's deeper than older DMC games. Vergil was practically a Sesshoumaru knockoff before. At least here he has decent intentions, a more equalized dynamic to Dante and helps him out at times. Mundus had far more characterization (relatively, he was still stale) by caring for his child, having an actual conversation with Dante before fighting and actually asking questions and giving answers in that conversation. "Why did you kill my child?" "You have all the freedom you could want." And then there's that speech of why he took over mankind which adds relatively more depth than DMC1 Mundus. Yes, it's not unique overall, but it's still deeper than before.