What are my prospects/likelhood for beating (spoilers)...

#1vgman94Posted 2/26/2013 10:34:38 AM
... Armstrong with these stats? I defeated Sam with 2 deaths and 1 nanopaste per attempt to aid me. I have 170% life, 2-3 damage upgrades for my HF Blade, understand how do slice things relatively well (lining the cut with the boxes. I did Sundowner fairly well. Just didn't realize what those multiple boxes meant until he was almost dead). Currently I'm missing 1 health upgrade from a previous level, have less than enough BP to buy the final buyable life upgrade, have one more upgrade in the next level to get before fighting Armstrong, and don't have more than 3 sections added to my FC gauge. Would I die often fighting Armstrong or should I go back and get more life upgrades before fighting him? Any helpful answers would be appreciated. Really don't want to get too stuck on the guy.
#2ZetgobPosted 2/26/2013 10:39:41 AM
Your stats seem fine.

He's honestly not that difficult, all of his attacks are very easily avoided. He also rains nanopaste on you like candy during his third phase, so that shouldn't be an issue.
#3vgman94(Topic Creator)Posted 2/26/2013 10:44:09 AM
Zetgob posted...
Your stats seem fine.

He's honestly not that difficult, all of his attacks are very easily avoided. He also rains nanopaste on you like candy during his third phase, so that shouldn't be an issue.

So as long as I stop his healing, get the nanopaste and etc, he should be alright? Even with 170% life?
#4wepeelPosted 2/26/2013 10:44:15 AM
You can definitely beat him; first time I did it was with 0 HF blade upgrades, 150% life and 0 nanopastes left for the magma phase. Be prepared to spend a couple of tries learning his moves and getting stuff right though. The key for me was learning how to cut the debris he throws at you. Does fair damage to him and gives you more than enough healing to last through the rest of the battle.
---
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
#5Autofire2Posted 2/26/2013 10:45:17 AM
what difficulty?
---
Duncan MacLeod: There can be only one.
#6vgman94(Topic Creator)Posted 2/26/2013 10:54:03 AM
wepeel posted...
You can definitely beat him; first time I did it was with 0 HF blade upgrades, 150% life and 0 nanopastes left for the magma phase. Be prepared to spend a couple of tries learning his moves and getting stuff right though. The key for me was learning how to cut the debris he throws at you. Does fair damage to him and gives you more than enough healing to last through the rest of the battle.

Wow. No Nanopaste? That's tough. I am not too quick with the lining up, but as long as I have between 2.5 seconds minimum to line up the cut, I should be able to get at least 3 squares (of the 4, from what I've read) and cut through them. I was more worried about his healing, but apparently it's just a really simple Blade Mode to a square on his back to stop it.

@Autofire: It's normal. First time through. Doesn't mean I'm bad as I beat Monsoon without dying and only died twice before dodging properly against Sam. Still, I just want to be prepared so I have a more enjoyable time and learn how to read his moves.
#7themasterllworkPosted 2/26/2013 10:57:53 AM
vgman94 posted...
It's normal. First time through. Doesn't mean I'm bad as I beat Monsoon without dying and only died twice before dodging properly against Sam. Still, I just want to be prepared so I have a more enjoyable time and learn how to read his moves.

With that mindset you have, you'll be fine.

Just fight and do what you quoted.
---
http://www.youtube.com/masterll
(Swyping on Galaxy S2)
#8wepeelPosted 2/26/2013 11:12:24 AM
vgman94 posted...

Wow. No Nanopaste? That's tough. I am not too quick with the lining up, but as long as I have between 2.5 seconds minimum to line up the cut, I should be able to get at least 3 squares (of the 4, from what I've read) and cut through them. I was more worried about his healing, but apparently it's just a really simple Blade Mode to a square on his back to stop it.

For several attempts I really wish I'd had pastes, but I blew them while going through Excelsus and the middle phase, and didn't have the stamina to go back and try to redo them with less loss of life. But that's also one of the charms with this game - while during the first tries it seemed close to impossible to take Armstrong down to his first debris throw without getting hit, after some practice it didn't seem so bad.

And yeah, his recharge phase is more like bonus damage for you. In my experience, if you get him to the first debris phase and know how to handle it in blade mode, it'll be smooth sailing from there. I beat him the second time I got that far - and only failed the time before as I messed up on the cutting. Getting him down ~40% without getting killed was pretty much all of the effort.
---
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
#9DRX777Posted 2/26/2013 11:14:13 AM
The best bit of advice I can give, since it screwed me so badly, is during the section where he throws the big chunks of wreckage at you - take your sweet time lining the cuts up.

Seriously.

I was failing over and over because I thought I only had a second to slice, when actually it's just a case of you only getting the one opportunity - you have plenty of time to line up that one attempt.
---
Oh no, there goes Toh-kee-yoh!
http://www.rockband.com/users/Dark_Raven_X
#10vgman94(Topic Creator)Posted 2/26/2013 11:30:22 AM(edited)
DRX777 posted...
The best bit of advice I can give, since it screwed me so badly, is during the section where he throws the big chunks of wreckage at you - take your sweet time lining the cuts up.

Seriously.

I was failing over and over because I thought I only had a second to slice, when actually it's just a case of you only getting the one opportunity - you have plenty of time to line up that one attempt.

I see. So unlike Sundowner where I slashed too quickly, I should just take my time, even if it's 3-5 seconds to line up the right cut? Sound fine with me. In that case all that's needed is concentration and a bit of luck. On normal, how much damage does getting hit with the debris do? I've heard it's over 100 points on Revengeance (far over that), but how much does it do on Normal?

EDIT: Actually, on Sundowner, I had the same problem now that i remembered. After the shields split up, I thought I only had a split second to cut the small arms off. Then I realized I had more than twice the time I initially thought to line up the precise cut for those tiny panel holder arms.Same when lining up the cut for his shield when it's made into a shield. I assume it's like that.