Metal Gears seem like a useless waste of resources

#11WingZero0782Posted 3/13/2013 11:30:21 PM
It's traditional to have a Metal Gear in each game, it doesn't matter if they're outdated, every game needs one.
---
Currently Playing: who the **** cares.
DCUO Name: Techno Knight, Level: 30, Server: Crossfire, League: TheGothamKnights.
#12DaggeraxePosted 3/13/2013 11:34:55 PM
TC, this is how you use spoiler tags: <sp> insert spoilers here </sp>
#13Delta0126Posted 3/13/2013 11:36:51 PM
Daggeraxe posted...
TC, this is how you use spoiler tags: <sp> insert spoilers here </sp>

Careful, you might get hated on for some reason.
---
There is a Ghost in my attic and he says: "It's very dark up here...." ....Oh right....and he also says: "Boo."
#14grand_kaizerPosted 3/13/2013 11:47:41 PM
flaremmm posted...
Just Listen to Dok's codec during that fight - he gives a sound explanation.

This. Codec conversations point out how it would have been a massive publicity boost for the Exelsus series, explains what it actually is, how it was likely never supposed to attack Raiden in the first place since he wasn't supposed to actually make it on time, and how it allowed Armstrong to still take part in the destruction without being seen.
---
"I am the Truest Repairman!"
#15DaggeraxePosted 3/14/2013 12:06:36 AM
Delta0126 posted...

Not trying to be rude here. Just wanted to let more people know that there's a spoiler tag function, but I can see how some might find me annoying for posting this so many times lol
#16SairosPosted 3/14/2013 12:15:50 AM
Plasmabat posted...
They are the size of a battleship and probably cost billions to make, and a single enhanced cyborg with a sword can slice it in half like butter and toss it around like a toy. Not very cost effective, and

*spoilers*

it was kinda silly for armstrong attempting to kill raiden with that big clumsy metal gear excelsus and have it chopped to pieces when he whopped raiden's *** with ease bare handed and broke his sword like a twig.

Do you honestly think the average Cyborg would stand even the slimmest chance against Excelsus?

Yes Raiden was able to beat it, but he had bleeding edge tech, heavily honed innate skill, and a lifetime of training.

And honestly I think that was a initial prototype model, did you see the size of it's chassis? It could be outfitted with a ton more weapons that it had in the fight against Raiden, gun turrets, missile pods, more lower caliber beam weapons, if fully outfitted it is easy to see that thing taking on a entire army.
---
Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
PSN: Aeturnum
#17obliviondollPosted 3/14/2013 12:39:57 AM
Raiden is probably more expensive than that Metal Gear as well.

Metal Gears are MORE cost-effective than the pinnacle of cyborg tech. Against that stupidly-expensive cyborg, anything but another super-cyborg is going to lose in a straight-up fight. But Excelsus would easily destroy an army of Gekkos, tanks and regular cyborgs a LOT faster than Raiden ever could.
---
"I want my meals to think for myself"
#18Delta0126Posted 3/14/2013 12:43:39 AM
Daggeraxe posted...
Delta0126 posted...

Not trying to be rude here. Just wanted to let more people know that there's a spoiler tag function, but I can see how some might find me annoying for posting this so many times lol

Oh, I know. I did the same thing as I was the second poster, but for some reason some person decided to randomly hate me for doing so.
---
There is a Ghost in my attic and he says: "It's very dark up here...." ....Oh right....and he also says: "Boo."
#19Banjo2553Posted 3/14/2013 12:48:56 AM(edited)
Well, tons of the optional codec dialogues delve into this. They didn't really have the technology for cyborgs to be commonly used. Cybernetic enhancements were expensive and generally limited in number. Thus, they had to use stuff like Metal Gears to do the job. First it was bipedal tanks (like REX), but then they developed technology for UGs, which developed future RAY models. Now that SOP is gone, cybernetic technology has spread like wildfire and became more affordable but still expensive. And they say that cyborgs are so rampant and pretty much normal now in warfare, so UGs and Metal Gears in general are becoming outdated due to how large and cumbersome that they can be.
---
Come see my game collection: http://www.backloggery.com/bakonbitz