Just got this game and have a few questions............

#11Prototype_1(Topic Creator)Posted 3/18/2013 9:55:18 AM
mtKing52 posted...
Prototype_1 posted...
xxx000110000111 posted...
This is Metal Gear Rising, not Metal Gear Solid. It's a spinoff title in a different genre.

Yeah, I know its a spin-off, and I have beaten every MGS game with no kills, no continues, no rations (except MGS1 since you do not have a choice of stamina kills when it comes to the bosses). And I understand that it is in a different genre, I knew that from when I first picked up the controller in the beginning. I am just wondering (even though I think that I know the answer) if there is a weapon that drains stamina (battery power or what have you) so you can go through the game and try for a no kill run?

That is the beauty of the MGS series (and yes I know that this is not MGS, its MGR), being able to be completely stealthy, watching your enemies, taking them down without killing them, dragging their bodies and hiding them, etc. Again, I like this game, its a nice change of pace, but not exactly what I expected.

There's a wooden sword (gets you a no kill bonus) you can get after killing all 5 of the M.I.B.s (Men in Boxes) which are spread throughout the game

Now thats what I am talking about. Thanks for that tidbit of info!
---
PSN ID - Ho-Runner
She drives like a steakhouse but handles like a bistro! - Zap Branagan
#12GBB_DoramascherPosted 3/18/2013 10:06:17 AM
mtKing52 posted...
There's a wooden sword (gets you a no kill bonus) you can get after killing all 5 of the M.I.B.s (Men in Boxes) which are spread throughout the game

I think you only need to find (read: knock the boxes off) all five to get the sword, killing them is optional.
---
"My tool is a sword of justice!"
"Well here's what happens when you bring a sword to a toolfight!"
#13MurphysGhostPosted 3/18/2013 11:04:27 AM(edited)
^ Indeed. I never killed them.

As for the rest, TC, though the stealth is a lot less polished than in the proper MGS games, you CAN do quite a lot of sneaky things in this game. If you get right behind an enemy without being spotted you can stealth kill them- some areas it's quite possible to stealth kill everyone and avoid an actual battle. Some areas you can sneak through without killing anyone at all, using the cardboard box and/or fuel drum.

And you can also still use EM grenades, smoke grenades, etc. to your advantage. In particular, EM grenades will completely disable any non-boss enemy for a short time.

Aside from "KO"ing enemies with the Wooden Sword, you can also cut a cyborg's legs off and eventually they'll despawn without being counted as a kill. Considering that the enemies are all either cyborgs or robots, you can effectively get through the game without killing anyone but the bosses.

It is certainly a game that encourages action but if you try to be sneaky you might be surprised at how often stealth is viable.

Edit more: And one more thing, you can purchase a skill called Offensive Defense (or Defensive Offense? I can never remember...) - this is a dodge move done by pressing X and square at the same time. If you just hit x and square it will move you backwards, but by using the L stick in addition to x and square you can also dodge left, right and forwards.

Meanwhile a perfectly timed Parry (towards enemy + square right when they attack) will result in a devastating counter instead of just a block.

---
"The act of treachery is an art, but the traitor himself is a piece of ****." - Mike Tyson
#14Prototype_1(Topic Creator)Posted 3/18/2013 11:14:22 AM
MurphysGhost posted...
^ Indeed. I never killed them.

As for the rest, TC, though the stealth is a lot less polished than in the proper MGS games, you CAN do quite a lot of sneaky things in this game. If you get right behind an enemy without being spotted you can stealth kill them- some areas it's quite possible to stealth kill everyone and avoid an actual battle. Some areas you can sneak through without killing anyone at all, using the cardboard box and/or fuel drum.

And you can also still use EM grenades, smoke grenades, etc. to your advantage. In particular, EM grenades will completely disable any non-boss enemy for a short time.

Aside from "KO"ing enemies with the Wooden Sword, you can also cut a cyborg's legs off and eventually they'll despawn without being counted as a kill. Considering that the enemies are all either cyborgs or robots, you can effectively get through the game without killing anyone but the bosses.

Also very good to know. Thanks Murph!
It is certainly a game that encourages action but if you try to be sneaky you might be surprised at how often stealth is viable.

Edit more: And one more thing, you can purchase a skill called Offensive Defense (or Defensive Offense? I can never remember...) - this is a dodge move done by pressing X and square at the same time. If you just hit x and square it will move you backwards, but by using the L stick in addition to x and square you can also dodge left, right and forwards.

Meanwhile a perfectly timed Parry (towards enemy + square right when they attack) will result in a devastating counter instead of just a block.

---
PSN ID - Ho-Runner
#15MurphysGhostPosted 3/18/2013 4:57:38 PM
^ No problem. I hope you have fun with the game.

Especially if you stay on the Codec a good amount and make use of your secondary weapon/items I think you'll find there's still a good amount of Metal Gear DNA in this game.

:)
---
"The act of treachery is an art, but the traitor himself is a piece of ****." - Mike Tyson
#16LeBronHendrixPosted 3/18/2013 5:02:32 PM
I actually wish that there was a way to go through the entire game stealthily for a bonus armor or something.
---
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/320/641/3e9.gif
http://babesdigballs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/klay-300x170.jpg
#17Mr_Big_BossPosted 3/18/2013 5:21:02 PM

Solid Snake has not been mentioned by any as far as I know, although I recall someone saying that there's a codec conversation about him.

I don't think the codec mentioned his fate. It sounded like he was still alive based on the way they talked about him.
---
the end of one nightmare, prelude to the another...
#18devak108Posted 3/18/2013 6:05:25 PM
LeBronHendrix posted...
I actually wish that there was a way to go through the entire game stealthily for a bonus armor or something.

Considering how much of an after thought and how limited the stealth mechanics are in this game (not to mention how fun slashing through everything at lightning speed is) that sounds like the most boring way to possibly play it. There are a number of great stealth games out there, but this is a hack n slash through and through.
---
"You're entering a world of pain, son, we know this is your homework!"
#19Prototype_1(Topic Creator)Posted 3/22/2013 10:03:00 AM
*Possible Spoilers*

Well, I finally beat the game for the first time. That Armstrong fight (after beating the super big spider-like robot thing????) was a huge pain in the ass at first, but after getting walloped 15 or so times, figured it out and whooped on him something fierce. You guys were right, parrying got easier as I played more and more. Sure, I didn't score very well the first time through (I think I had a C rating overall), but I unlocked 5 titles, the infinity wig, and all the story based sub-weapons.

I do miss the stealth aspect that Metal Gear has been known for, but I'll get more of that when MGS5 comes out or that one that comes after Peacewalker.
---
PSN ID - Ho-Runner