'ultimate' challenge - new game, no upgrades, VH, S-rank run

#1yarrmateysPosted 3/23/2013 1:29:03 AM
Konami code
New game, Very Hard difficulty
no sword upgrades allowed (Lv.-/-/- HF Blade only)
no life and fuel cells upgrades allowed (100% health, default FC)
unlocking Polearm, Sai, Pincers when they become available is allowed (lv.-/-/- only)
skills allowed
S-rank all possible battles

I'm going through mine and am stuck against B.D. Mistral and Monsoon since 'no damage' is required for S. So far only the R-02 Double GRADs proved impossible to S-rank. It is possible, theoretically, but requires so much luck and repetition that I don't see anyone (except the really crazy ones) being able to do it.

Any takers? Or any other fresh VH runners out there who like to share their experiences?
---
--
-
#2EurologicPosted 3/23/2013 1:36:54 AM
Good luck.
---
I wanna see Rocco take on the Olsen twins.
#3RaengPosted 3/23/2013 2:02:10 AM
I like handicap runs, but I second Eurologic, good luck. Not going to try this. There's fun handicap and then there's just 'lets punish myself' ;p Massive props if you manage to get it down though!
---
PSN: Royta15
www.youtube.com/royta15
#42002120141Posted 3/23/2013 2:38:40 AM
The body doubles don't require no damage for an S rank. 4000 is enough across all difficulties. Rack up hits and kills and BP with BD mistral (3000) then try to finish off Monsoon as quick as possible? (1000)
#5yarrmateys(Topic Creator)Posted 3/23/2013 2:43:31 AM
Raeng posted...
I like handicap runs, but I second Eurologic, good luck. Not going to try this. There's fun handicap and then there's just 'lets punish myself' ;p Massive props if you manage to get it down though!

Haha I guess I just got too used to the DMC3 school of difficulty, where in order to get the highest ranks you have to hit the hyper-aggressive boss 100 times without getting hit yourself.

2002120141 posted...
The body doubles don't require no damage for an S rank. 4000 is enough across all difficulties. Rack up hits and kills and BP with BD mistral (3000) then try to finish off Monsoon as quick as possible? (1000)

Lv. 0 HF Blade means I usually finish the fight in 8:30-10:00, depending on how well I control the fight. That's why in a VH no upgrade run, a good amount of fights, as well as all bosses require no damage for S rank, since the fight takes too long to get the time bonus.
---
--
-
#6DragenyoPosted 3/23/2013 2:51:09 AM
The two GRADs are exactly the reason why I don't do fresh runs coupled with other restrictions; it doesn't make sense to me anymore. I'm content with my limited checkpoints, no upgrades and no recovery items revengeance run. Probably going to be my last playthrough too.
---
PSN: yogendra
#7PhaildPosted 3/23/2013 2:55:33 AM
Damage does not scale well without weapon upgrades, so I've found these challenge runs extremely boring and tedious, even with the Revengeance parry modifier.
---
Current rank: Cpl. / Exp. required for promotion: 10 days
Let's dance.
#8yarrmateys(Topic Creator)Posted 3/23/2013 3:13:13 AM
Dragenyo posted...
The two GRADs are exactly the reason why I don't do fresh runs coupled with other restrictions; it doesn't make sense to me anymore. I'm content with my limited checkpoints, no upgrades and no recovery items revengeance run. Probably going to be my last playthrough too.

How do you implement your limited checkpoints? That has to be pretty tough since at 100% health almost everything is a 1hko on REV. It also means that you have to backup saves, and restore them when you die.

That's why when I stop doing the story mode, I'm just going to go back to VR30 since it's pretty fair with the damage scaling, but also has a very strict limit when it comes to healing items (have to chop missiles) and no checkpoints.

Phaild posted...
Damage does not scale well without weapon upgrades, so I've found these challenge runs extremely boring and tedious, even with the Revengeance parry modifier.

I found REV to be actually ok with the parry boost, it's in VH where things can be a huge ugly slog.
---
--
-
#9DragenyoPosted 3/23/2013 3:45:41 AM
yarrmateys posted...
How do you implement your limited checkpoints? That has to be pretty tough since at 100% health almost everything is a 1hko on REV. It also means that you have to backup saves, and restore them when you die.

Before I started the playthrough I planned where the checkpoints should be. Originally there were 20 of them, but the final number ended up being 25. When I reach one of these checkpoints, I exit to title screen and copy file 1 to file 2. Every time I die I exit to title screen as well, and do the copying in reverse. It may sound tedious, but it's luckily pretty fast to do.

I am actually uploading this playthrough on my YT channel. Name is the same I have here.
---
PSN: yogendra
#102002120141Posted 3/23/2013 4:20:15 AM
yarrmateys posted...

Lv. 0 HF Blade means I usually finish the fight in 8:30-10:00, depending on how well I control the fight. That's why in a VH no upgrade run, a good amount of fights, as well as all bosses require no damage for S rank, since the fight takes too long to get the time bonus.

Oh... Okay.jpg

Forgot about the time factor when using basic HF blade. :(