The ultimate challenge?

#21yarrmateysPosted 3/27/2013 5:01:28 AM(edited)
160% was during my all upgrades allowed NG REV S-rank run (max at that time). I only used 1 RP Grenade to prevent the dual rocket soldiers from firing off a shot (1 rocket = 100% damage). For the GRAD, no subweapons at all. Plant ass in turret, shoot, tank the damage. One salvo is 2 missiles I think. I always get one since it's almost always in your line of fire, but shooting the second one just hurts your DPS too much, better to focus it on the GRAD.

I don't think I'll be S-ranking this one since I think I already covered most bases in S-rank VH NUR-. The bigger issue in this run would actually be the slower/faster FC absorb/drain. Besides I'm already sick of being a restart scumming bastard. Might just brawl a few fights and die along the way.

If you do all upgrades allowed NG REV you might find R-04 until 06 to be a teeny bit too easy, since you have a long FC bar and full ripper abuse capabilities. The 'no kills' also trivialize some of the difficult fights' rankings. I'd say go for S-ranks, REV NUR-. I found that the 'increased boss health' made for more epic fights too (probably alone on that, though)

If I ever do an S-rank run again, it will be REV NUR- 6500 points (perfect 5000 + no damage), no 'no kills.'
---
--
-
#22SBK91Posted 3/27/2013 5:32:58 AM
I finished this game without turning my TV on and I was only allowed to use the jump button and I still beat it with S ranks on every difficulty at the same time.

Well, Fox Blade is pretty broken.

Plant ass in turret, shoot, tank the damage.

Noted.

I'd say go for S-ranks, REV NUR-.

Will do. Mistral, the Vodomjerka fight and dual GRADS are my biggest concerns. Also, killing Monsoon in time. Red Armor is fine, correct?

On a completely unrelated note, having an upgraded unique weapon equipped increases the damage of the palm strike. No unique deals .7% to Excelsus on REV (same between Wooden Sword and Murasama), having a unique deals 1.9%. Would explain why Monsoon was so easy with the Wooden Sword and Sai equipped.
#23RaengPosted 3/27/2013 7:04:09 AM(edited)

but it's one of the few fights where the lack of a dodge makes it a LOT different.

Give it a shot with blocking. Run away from the lasers and lead the Gekkos into them.

Hm? I did remember ;p I beat it on VH and REV NuR. So no dodge. That said, I had some bad lucky with luring them in and once one escapes it's hell. It takes 3 MG EX slashes to kill a Gekko on VH, so you'll be doing a lot of dancing.
That said, I stand by my opinion. To each their own!

EDIT: The Vodomjerka fight can be eased up by using, lol, stealth. By standing near the entrance to the fight you can just mash Circle to spawn-stealthkill them as they pop up. It's really fun, try it!
---
PSN: Royta15
www.youtube.com/royta15
#24SBK91Posted 3/27/2013 7:33:34 AM
I had some bad lucky with luring them in and once one escapes it's hell. It takes 3 MG EX slashes to kill a Gekko on VH, so you'll be doing a lot of dancing.

That might explain it. REV is a one shot.

The Vodomjerka fight can be eased up by using, lol, stealth. By standing near the entrance to the fight you can just mash Circle to spawn-stealthkill them as they pop up. It's really fun, try it!

That good for S ranking?
#25RaengPosted 3/27/2013 8:16:57 AM
I had some bad lucky with luring them in and once one escapes it's hell. It takes 3 MG EX slashes to kill a Gekko on VH, so you'll be doing a lot of dancing.

That might explain it. REV is a one shot.

The Vodomjerka fight can be eased up by using, lol, stealth. By standing near the entrance to the fight you can just mash Circle to spawn-stealthkill them as they pop up. It's really fun, try it!

That good for S ranking?

Now that you do mention it, I didn't recall having that much problem without dodge against MG EX on REV. It's just that I was just done beating him on VH so that impression was left on me.
A visual representation of VH MG EX with gekkos: www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcDBDFKlTrM&feature=youtu.be#t=0h17m55s
The camera can go absolutely bonkers, especially when MG EX gets a camera focus. Completely screws up your block-directions. It doesn't help that MG EX ignores I.frames, which is a first. Complete I.framed animations can still be hit out of by him, such as executions.

About the Vodomjerka, yes. It is. As it allows you to deal with 2 of the 4 without having to fight them, but you do get to Zandatsu them and they count as a kill in the log. You really need to mash O though, as the frame is really short.
Since that fight is annoying in the sense that you have to re-stealth the Mastiff part everytime, having to only deal with 2 Vodomjerka's (both of which start at Dash range for an easy Air-PP) makes it a lot easier to get the No-damage there.
---
PSN: Royta15
www.youtube.com/royta15
#26yarrmateysPosted 3/27/2013 10:26:23 AM
Vodomjerka fight is 'easily' S-ranked by getting the perfect 5000. Time is generous, combo is easily racked up. Sloppiness is allowed, as long as you dispatch of a few quickly. I use the aerial counterparry, but I see stealthkills work too, never tried that.

Functionally there's no difference between a lv.0 and a lv.1 sword against Mistral (since I've done both). Either way you're under the threshold for instant guard break. If you look at my 'log' you can see there that I suggest doing blade mode in her face to trigger a parry war, ignore that. It's too much trouble, guard is best broken open by just waiting for a strike then parrying that, no parrying wars involved.

For Monsoon, Red Armor won't make a difference, I had a lv.2 sword there (1.5x power compared to lv.0 sword) + regular armor and can't finish any faster than 9:30 since you won't be able to skip any of the 5 magnetic force phases. You either have to no damage, or provoke him into jumping near the fence so your counterparry will connect, thus phase skipping. If he does the jumpslash from the fence, during the hopback if he clips the wall your parry might just connect.

I suggest simply practicing to do the former, although I got mine by being lucky with the latter. At <40% there were supposed to be 2 magnetic force phases. The lucky counterparry sunk him to 10% immediately, skipping both. I've since been able to do the fight damageless on my VH run, which is pretty much the same fight as on REV.

As for the double GRADs, just run it until your cleartime goes <2:30. It will depend on how good (or lucky) your counterparry streak goes in battle.
---
--
-