Just can't get into this game....

#1DragonGPosted 4/7/2013 5:42:29 PM
I've died 7 times in the Blade Wolf boss fight already, and I'm already over this game. Don't get me wrong, I like games like Devil May Cry and Bayonetta, but the combat just doesn't jive with me. Seems like it is pretty much dependent on parrying, which I'm just not very good at with this game. It would have been if it was a single block button, but the direction+attack thing just makes it too unwieldy.
---
Man running in front of car get TIRED. Man running behind car get EXHAUSTED.
PSN Tag: StudBoi69
#2TheMcKnightMarePosted 4/7/2013 5:44:55 PM
DragonG posted...
I've died 7 times in the Blade Wolf boss fight already, and I'm already over this game. Don't get me wrong, I like games like Devil May Cry and Bayonetta, but the combat just doesn't jive with me. Seems like it is pretty much dependent on parrying, which I'm just not very good at with this game. It would have been if it was a single block button, but the direction+attack thing just makes it too unwieldy.

Practice makes perfect (parry)
---
PSN: TheMcKnightMare - Twitter: @TheMcKnightMare
#32002120141Posted 4/7/2013 5:56:05 PM
A block button would've made this game passive and boring, leaving the player a sense of invincibility as long as that button is held. The parry function keeps the player active, on their feet - making known that Raiden is in constant danger.

Complaining about parry is a moot point. Complaining about the camera however, a very valid one.
#4MurphysGhostPosted 4/7/2013 6:14:56 PM
What mode are you playing TC?

I'd advise you to stick with it. If parrying Blade Wolf is too tricky right now, Ninja Run at him and hit triangle to slide attack, then triangle twice more. This will probably stun him so you can get a few more attacks in.

When he calls his reinforcements just Blade Mode -> Zandatsu them to restore your health and resume pounding on Blade Wolf.

This game is pretty different-feeling, it takes a bit to get used to. You may want to ease into it on Easy mode (but I would recommend not using the Parry Assist because you won't really learn to play like that) and just try to learn about parrying and Raiden's moveset.

I think it's worth it, though. I'm usually wary of parry mechanics but this game makes parrying a lot of fun, and the input window for it is quite lenient once you get the hang of the controls. ;)
---
"The act of treachery is an art, but the traitor himself is a piece of ****." - Mike Tyson
#5Ace10of27SpadesPosted 4/7/2013 6:20:27 PM
I had a horrible time at first at that part (on the demo). I dedicated a few sessions solely to parrying until I got it down. I have come very far since then and now I have got a 100% game on my hands. You can get there if you are willing to suffer through the learning process. This game has a way of teaching you a lot in a very subtle manner.
---
Whose footprints are these...
#6Red LobstarPosted 4/8/2013 6:03:56 PM
I am also stuck on Blade Wolf. I still don't understand the controls very well and this guy is flipping around all over the place so fast I can barely keep him in visual range, let alone hit him. Most games ease you into the controls but this one throws you into a boss battle with Ray almost immediately. The only reason I got through that was because restarting from checkpoints also refills your health. Then I fight a couple guys and a gekko and it throws Blade Wolf at me. I've had like no time to practice the controls. I'm going to try again now but so far it's just been frustrating.
#7ViltrisPosted 4/8/2013 6:28:19 PM
Locking on against Blade Wolf is almost a must. Otherwise, all that running around means you'll have a hard time keeping track of him.

Blade Wolf is also "that one boss battle" that forces you to learn how to parry. Here's a tip, you can spam block. If you block way too early, Raiden will attack (which you can use to your advantage), and you can immediately cancel into a block. If you block slightly too early, Raiden will block and hold the block.
---
\/
#8DragonG(Topic Creator)Posted 4/8/2013 8:42:29 PM
Finally beat him, but I'm not sure if I actually got better or got lucky. I was down to a half-inch of life, and he didn't go lunge-crazy in the final phase, so I was able to get a lot of hits near the end.
---
Man running in front of car get TIRED. Man running behind car get EXHAUSTED.
PSN Tag: StudBoi69
#9flaremmmPosted 4/8/2013 8:58:31 PM
once you buy the dodge skill for 3k bp things should improve - chances are your playing on too hard a difficulty, or didn't pay attention in the tutorials though
---
"Sephiroth, Have you Lost weight?"
#10HollowNinjaPosted 4/8/2013 9:43:45 PM
once you buy the dodge skill for 3k bp things should improve - chances are your playing on too hard a difficulty, or didn't pay attention in the tutorials though

All the default difficulties in this game are piss-easy.

That said, the game explains parrying poorly. You have to press direction+parry at the same time. You cannot simply hold the stick in the direction and then press square - you have to press them together, like a directional input in a fighting game.

The window for parrying is massive - you basically need no timing whatsoever. Perfect parrying for a counter requires timing, but parrying really doesn't - you can easily throw one out on reaction and expect it to work.
---
http://backloggery.com/hollowninja
Official Thor of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.