Sam is freakin weak!!! Any advice?

#1supershadonicPosted 4/23/2013 3:48:30 AM(edited)
Sure I get the thing about no Cyborg enhancements but... really?

His moveset is soooo limited.

-He doesn't even have a slip or aerial kick to easy delimb enemies to Zandatsu.

-He doesn't have nice round attacks either, most are straight, slow and pitifully weak.
Imagine how weak he is... you have to Quick Draw full charge a Mastiff 4 times before he can have atleast 1 blue Blade Mode cuttable part.

-His parry counter is almost always dodged by enemies other than normal soldiers and blocked by Mastiffs.

And he can't level up his sword... which basically means you're level 1 sword throughout the game. its pitiful.

-Ended Sam's Story mode. He can't parry the Senator well either on last fight when he rushes.

-Hard mode when I started it got boring. Went up till Bladewolf who was taking significantly reduced damage due to difficulty and me still with Lvl 1 sword and he kept dodging all my parry counters. After finishing him in a long battle of single slashes here and there I got too bored and quit for now.

To me the DLC is pretty disappointing unless I'm missing something. His moveset is bad. He should have had the jump slash he does in boss battles as his aerial dive kick.
#2TearsfoUniversePosted 4/23/2013 3:58:05 AM
Taunt and use charge attacks when you can.
---
The war has begun, but there is still so much cake and other things to burn
#3Da_doppenPosted 4/23/2013 4:31:42 AM
Yes, on higher difficulties you have to taunt. You can't counter a taunted enemy, and you take chip damage when you block, so you'll have to be very light on your feet and dodge around a lot.
---
Maybe Doopliss isn't kicking ass, but he's taking names!
For SFIV combos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/DaDoppen
#4RaengPosted 4/23/2013 4:49:09 AM
Sam is a different character and needs to be played differently. Perfect Parry is no longer the go-to answer. Taunt and Charged Slashes are. Especially a combination of both deals insane amounts of damage. Hell on REV a taunt+charge does ~20% damage to Armstrong.

Also his moveset is pretty good. SSST JumpS JumpST is a pretty solid combo that works on a lot of enemies and his >>T is insanely good. Probably the best move in the game even.
---
PSN: Royta15
www.youtube.com/royta15
#5PhaildPosted 4/23/2013 4:53:52 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#6ArcticPosted 4/23/2013 4:58:29 AM
You can dodge/parry cancel pretty much any move with Sam, including your charge attacks. The forward dodge has a bit more iframes, so that's quite reliable especially on Armstrong's charging attacks.

I still rely on PP for Mastiffs (on Rev, at least). They're easy enough to predict/manipulate anyway.

I blame dozens of VR004 runs for this.
---
Pissing excellence since 02/24/2001
#7PhaildPosted 4/23/2013 5:00:35 AM
Normal cyborgs: Blade Mode Draw

Armoured cyborgs: Taunt, Assault Rush, wide, double jump wide,

Heavy cyborgs: Taunt, Quick Draw

Vodomjerkas: Parry Counter

Gekkos: Parry Counter during jumping / ram attack

Raptors: Taunt, Quick Draw, wide combo,

Sliders: Aerial Blade Mode Quick Draw / Mid-air Quick Draw

Mastiffs: Taunt, wide combo, dodge, repeat till dead

Did I miss something?
---
Current rank: Cpl. / Exp. required for promotion: 7 days
Let's dance.
#8masked_yazooPosted 4/23/2013 7:30:15 AM
Phaild posted...
Normal cyborgs: Blade Mode Draw

Armoured cyborgs: Taunt, Assault Rush, wide, double jump wide,

Heavy cyborgs: Taunt, Quick Draw

Vodomjerkas: Parry Counter

Gekkos: Parry Counter during jumping / ram attack

Raptors: Taunt, Quick Draw, wide combo,

Sliders: Aerial Blade Mode Quick Draw / Mid-air Quick Draw

Mastiffs: Taunt, wide combo, dodge, repeat till dead

Did I miss something?

Senator !@#$@%@ Armstrong!!!
---
"Remember, kids...Chu-Chu died for your sins!"
#9PhaildPosted 4/23/2013 7:37:59 AM
Taunt, spam wide and quick draw.

Backflip once during his charge start-up to get some distance before he rams you.
---
Current rank: Cpl. / Exp. required for promotion: 7 days
Let's dance.
#10NassaDanePosted 4/23/2013 11:34:27 AM
--"And he can't level up his sword... which basically means you're level 1 sword throughout the game. its pitiful."--

Can we be honest here for a sec? Like everybody. Does anyone do this? Upgrade the swords. I have never needed or wanted to do this. Is this some common this or something?
---
"Ignorance is Bliss"