Did they make raiden a cyborg to redeem himself?

#1E2I_GODPosted 6/6/2013 1:20:55 PM
I know a lot of people hated Raiden in MGS2 because he wasnt Snak, but do you think the reason they made him a cyborg for the storyline for MGS4 was to bring interest back to his character? Would he have been a good supporting character for Snake had he not become transformed?
#2TheLeafChildPosted 6/6/2013 1:23:37 PM
Raiden was an allegory of the player, the MGS fanbase.

The MGS fanbase was known to have desired to play as Gray Fox.
---
"Yin and Yang are not good and evil. Their unity is good, their struggle is evil"
#3RaengPosted 6/6/2013 1:25:08 PM
From what I remember he was made to be purposefully bland and annoying in MGS2 for some kind of fourth-wall break; haven't played it so can't comment but this is what I've heard from a few channels.

It would seem that his cyborgification was done in part to make him a bit more amazing for newcomers. And it of course opened up a lot of possibilities to make great action-scenes.
---
PSN: Royta15
www.youtube.com/royta15
#4ShabugabugabugaPosted 6/6/2013 4:32:19 PM
Raeng posted...
From what I remember he was made to be purposefully bland and annoying in MGS2 for some kind of fourth-wall break; haven't played it so can't comment but this is what I've heard from a few channels.

Well, bland isn't the right word. He was really angsty and codecs talked about his issues alot, which interestingly makes him one of the first examples of the Angsty Pretty Boy JRPG protagonist (yes, obviously MGS is not a JRPG, but notice how most examples are more similar to Raiden than they are to Cloud). And that's what people found annoying.
---
"If someone told me ten years ago that Raiden was going to be cooler than Dante, I would have told you to just shut up and allow me to punch you."
#5Hunter1534Posted 6/6/2013 5:58:45 PM
TheLeafChild posted...
Raiden was an allegory of the player, the MGS fanbase.

The MGS fanbase was known to have desired to play as Gray Fox.

---
http://memexico.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/ibmaGaASDtiOiU.gif
#6The_Ivory_ManPosted 6/6/2013 6:05:46 PM
Raiden was sort of like playing as Joke character

-Trips on bird poop
-Has annoying girlfriend
-Gets urinated on
-Gets stripped naked
-His bosses are bizarre (A bald fat guy drinking wine on roller skates? A biseuxal vampire with a crotch knife?)

Not to mention he was set up to show how awesome Snake was...

The last 20%ish of the game really makes him his own cool unique character (Taking joy in killing)
---
If you are 100% sure Redguards are the master race copy and paste this into your signature
#7X_CAPCOM_XPosted 6/7/2013 9:33:07 AM
The_Ivory_Man posted...

-Trips on bird poop
-Has annoying girlfriend
-Gets urinated on
-Gets stripped naked
-His bosses are bizarre (A bald fat guy drinking wine on roller skates? A biseuxal vampire with a crotch knife?)

The last 20%ish of the game really makes him his own cool unique character (Taking joy in killing)

No he was not a joke character.

Think back: when you come into control of him, he has more grip strength than snake, can jump over obstacles, has 1 more attack in his combo etc.

Throughout the "S3," he does a more intensive version of everything snake did in shadow moses (snake destroyed a tank, raiden destroyed a HARRIER, snake destroyed a metal gear, raiden destroyed 21 metal gears etc.).

Raiden is supposed to represent a superior soldier who does not want to be a superior soldier or a normal soldier due to his past (which has been unsuccessfully brainwashed), AND he had/has absolutely no freedom (until he listens to snake's badass message). Absolutely not a joke character.

Personally Raiden was instantly added to my favorite characters instantly at the end of the game. I don't see how people think he's wimpy because he has a girlfriend.
#8The_Ivory_ManPosted 6/9/2013 2:19:04 PM
X_CAPCOM_X posted...
The_Ivory_Man posted...

-Trips on bird poop
-Has annoying girlfriend
-Gets urinated on
-Gets stripped naked

Think back: when you come into control of him, he has more grip strength than snake, can jump over obstacles, has 1 more attack in his combo etc.

Throughout the "S3," he does a more intensive version of everything snake did in shadow moses (snake destroyed a tank, raiden destroyed a HARRIER, snake destroyed a metal gear, raiden destroyed 21 metal gears etc.).

Raiden is supposed to represent a superior soldier who does not want to be a superior soldier or a normal soldier due to his past (which has been unsuccessfully brainwashed), AND he had/has absolutely no freedom (until he listens to snake's badass message). Absolutely not a joke character.

Personally Raiden was instantly added to my favorite characters instantly at the end of the game. I don't see how people think he's wimpy because he has a girlfriend.

Oh Raiden is one of my favorites but he was very "stupid" early on

"Did you say nerd?"
---
If you are 100% sure Redguards are the master race copy and paste this into your signature
#9ukokira1Posted 6/9/2013 2:41:50 PM
X_CAPCOM_X posted...
The_Ivory_Man posted...

-Trips on bird poop
-Has annoying girlfriend
-Gets urinated on
-Gets stripped naked

"lethal joke character"
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.11
#10YellowArasitePosted 6/10/2013 4:15:34 AM
Even if he's a joke character,I like him over the others