action games that has good camera

#21DJ_0000Posted 6/10/2013 3:31:03 AM
darkslayer001 posted...
anyone recall any complaints for DMC4 camera?

I have a few:

1. When running through an area it will suddenly flip and cause your character to turn around which got really annoying.

2. DMC is heavy on directional inputs and the fixed camera meant that I would often do the wrong move because the angle would cause the directional input to become very awkward.

3. Way too far away from the character, made me feel very disconnected from the action and sometimes made it very difficult to tell what was actually going on.
#22syctheweilderPosted 6/11/2013 4:33:39 AM
I found the camera in the darksiders games to be pretty serviceable.

It allows full rotation for surveying areas, pulls WAY back during combat to give a wide view of the area to allow for crowd control, and when locked on, focuses the camera on the target allowing for maneuvers that require directional inputs

For aiming projectiles, the camera pulls in right behind the character and allows the sort of precision you'd see in a typical third person shooter. (Interestingly enough the ranged weapon functions a lot like Blue Rose from Devil May Cry 4, and the aiming mechanic sees more use in puzzle solving apart from a short segment in the first game where it briefly turns into Gears of War should the player choose to use the cannon the game gives them)

It's very much an evolution of the camera used in 3D Zelda games which is surprisingly effective for action games.
#23ShabugabugabugaPosted 6/11/2013 5:56:51 AM
syctheweilder posted...
It's very much an evolution of the camera used in 3D Zelda games which is surprisingly effective for action games.

You know, Zelda's camera is really great, and it's lock-on feels more responsive than anything else I've played. It's also one of the few camera's that actually stays where you adjust it to be, instead of swiveling back immediately after letting go of the c-stick.
---
"If someone told me ten years ago that Raiden was going to be cooler than Dante, I would have told you to just shut up and allow me to punch you."
#24syctheweilderPosted 6/18/2013 4:15:37 AM
Shabugabugabuga posted...
syctheweilder posted...

You know, Zelda's camera is really great, and it's lock-on feels more responsive than anything else I've played. It's also one of the few camera's that actually stays where you adjust it to be, instead of swiveling back immediately after letting go of the c-stick.

Quick, someone tell Aonuma to turn Zelda U into a hacknslash!
#25obliviondollPosted 6/18/2013 6:50:05 AM
Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine has a pretty good camera too - built on the same engine as Darksiders, which probably explains it.

And I second the guy who brought up Prince of Persia - the trilogy on PS2 had good camera.

A large part of the problem with action game cameras is WALLS. They sometimes get in the way of the camera's movement. In other games they can get in the way of the player's vision when the camera clips through them. Some games use a fixed camera to avoid walls, and end up with other problems - most notably with attacks from off-screen enemies.

Ideally, an action game would allow the camera to pass through walls with a transparency effect so they don't get in the way.
---
"I want my meals to think for myself"
#26rice_noodlesPosted 6/18/2013 10:01:45 AM
Go home, you are drunk.

ninja gaiden 2
full camera control, but lacks lock on, has speed problem?

It has lock on, just not manual lock on, and the lock on or the most part works. Lock on isn't even the camera so you are going off topic here. And while the game's camera could use some work, it didn't have speed problem.

bayonetta
a very VERY bad full control camera (crashes from auto lock/enemy tracking & slow speed)

You realize there is a speed setting where you can set the camera waaaaaaaay fast, right? It's like right there in the options.
#27ShabugabugabugaPosted 6/18/2013 10:48:44 AM
syctheweilder posted...
syctheweilder posted...

Dude! Imagine Blade Mode on the Gamepad?
---
"If someone told me ten years ago that Raiden was going to be cooler than Dante, I would have told you to just shut up and allow me to punch you."
#28syctheweilderPosted 6/22/2013 5:23:05 AM
syctheweilder posted...
syctheweilder posted...

Dude! Imagine Blade Mode on the Gamepad?

*swings the wiimote with reckless abandon*